Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old June 30 2012, 09:17 AM   #16
Mage
Commodore

Re: Which serise was Worf the best in?

horatio83 wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
horatio83 wrote: View Post
TNG. He didn't fit into DS9, the show as already overcrowded with characters and as far as I remember he never had any of those brilliant or hilarious moments he had so often in TNG.
Worf was for less of a gimmick on DS9 and more of a character, even though he was brought to DS9 as a gimmick. His character worked so much better in that show, bringing some much needed change for the character, who's biggest deal on the Enterprise was to push the button that says fire on the tactical station, and to have Picard remind him that in a way, we are all human.

No, Worf finally became a character instead of a bridge ornament during DS9. And as for being hilarious...
The scene where O'Brien tells him that they are having another baby, and seeing Worf's reaction.... Priceless.
That's simply factually wrong. We are not talking about TOS where the minor characters never got any spotlight. Worf got plenty to do in TNG besides standing at his post and Sins of the Father and Redemption are probably the best stories in which he is the protagonist.

Ofcourse he had his own episodes where he had plenty to do. But the rest of the time, he was just there. He was used to better effect in DS9 if you ask me, with far more better scenes in non-Worf episodes then he had in TNG.
Old June 30 2012, 01:36 PM   #17
Photon
Commodore

ILOVETREK1701 wrote: View Post
In your opinion was Worf better written for ds9 or tng?
Its not even close. DS9. Worf was a bystander in TNG. A wooden, typical Klingon on a SF ship.

DS9 allowed him to bloom into a 3d character, w/depth and emotion.

Go back and look at his performance in Way of the Warrior. It killed all his other performances on TNG. It just shows to go ya, that DS9's writings were so superior to that of all other Trek.
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2012, 02:28 PM   #18
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Deep Space Nine, hands down. But then again, every single TNG character would have become so much more in the hands of the DS9 writers.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2012, 02:43 PM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Photon wrote: View Post

It just shows to go ya, that DS9's writings were so superior to that of all other Trek.
Which of course is why DS9 is less popular than Voyager.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Deep Space Nine, hands down. But then again, every single TNG character would have become so much more in the hands of the DS9 writers.
Funny, since most of DS9's writers came from TNG...
Old June 30 2012, 04:09 PM   #20
Mage
Commodore

I'll tell you this though, I've started to really appreciate Worf as a character since the novels set after Nemesis. He's matured so much, became a better man, a better Klingon and a better officer.
There's a lot of speculation as to who might become captain of the Enterprise if Picard were to leave now that he has a son he's raising, and I'm rooting for Worf. It's time that the Enterprise got an alien captain for once, and I can't think of a better person for the job then Worf.
Old June 30 2012, 04:11 PM   #21
Photon
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post

It just shows to go ya, that DS9's writings were so superior to that of all other Trek.

Beverly Hills 90210 was more popular than ST: Voyager, so what the hell does that say about the viewing audience ass hat?
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2012, 04:50 PM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Beverly Hills 90210 was more popular than ST: Voyager, so what the hell does that say about the viewing audience ass hat?
Name calling? Come back when you're ready to have a big boy discussion...
Old June 30 2012, 08:11 PM   #23
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

And as for being hilarious...
The scene where O'Brien tells him that they are having another baby, and seeing Worf's reaction.... Priceless.
My personal fav:

Sisko: "Alright, Niners, let's hear some chatter!"
Kassidy: "Hey, batter, batter, batter, batter, batter!"
Leeta: "Hey, batter, batter, batter, batter, batter, batter, batter!"
Worf: "Death to the opposition!"
Old June 30 2012, 09:01 PM   #24
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
And as for being hilarious...
My personal fav:

Sisko: "Alright, Niners, let's hear some chatter!"
Kassidy: "Hey, batter, batter, batter, batter, batter!"
Leeta: "Hey, batter, batter, batter, batter, batter, batter, batter!"
Worf: "Death to the opposition!"
That was one of my favorite DS9 episodes.

I also like how In Purgatory's Shadow, he just shrugs off all Garak's taunts and insults. TNG Worf probably would be growling and on the verge of attacking Garak.
Old June 30 2012, 10:58 PM   #25
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

Eric Cheung wrote: View Post
DS9
But his humor was still there. For example, when asked about the content of Klingon dreams:
Worf wrote:
Things that would send cold chills down your spine, and wake you in the middle of the night. No, it is better that you do not know.
And don't forget:

"At the first sign of treachery, I will kill him, BUT...I promise to leave the body intact."

And of course, who can forget his busting Jadzia's chops on the runabout in "Change of Heart", effectively returning the favor....

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."

Last edited by Supreme Dittodrone; July 1 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Supreme Dittodrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2012, 02:40 PM   #26
lurok
Commodore

I'm really meh on TNG generally but from what I recall I thought Worf got more interesting as a character in the Moore-written/produced later episodes. DS9 is just better written all-round, but I'm with others here on Worf just not being distinctive or interesting enough. Apart from the Cyrano episode and even that's so-so.
Old July 1 2012, 04:33 PM   #27
sonak
Vice Admiral

ILOVETREK1701 wrote: View Post
In your opinion was Worf better written for ds9 or tng?
Its not even close. DS9. Worf was a bystander in TNG. A wooden, typical Klingon on a SF ship.

DS9 allowed him to bloom into a 3d character, w/depth and emotion.

Go back and look at his performance in Way of the Warrior. It killed all his other performances on TNG. It just shows to go ya, that DS9's writings were so superior to that of all other Trek.

A bystander on TNG?!? Worf is either the most developed or second-most(depends on where you rank Data) developed character on TNG. He got the biggest character arcs of the entire series, from the "dishonor" to having his honor restored arc, to Alexander Rozhenko.

He was much more in the background on DS9. In fact, even Michael Dorn said something about how only a handful of season 4 DS9 shows featured Worf in a prominent way.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2012, 04:37 PM   #28
horatio83
Commodore

Precisely. As you said before, he stood out on TNG and not merely in a quirky way. And despite off that he is accepted by everybody.
I mean, gee, nowadays everybody talks about this identity politics bullshit, how Trek should be more inclusive and so on while ignoring hard political stuff, that the Federation should be an emancipatory institution ... and there is a character who embodies all of that, who is a weird and hard-to-stand Klingon fellow that is nonetheless liked by the crew of the Enterprise, whose stupid idiosyncrasies are cherished.
Old July 1 2012, 06:03 PM   #29
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The main difference between TNG and DS9 was that TNG, by the very premise of the show, was out exploring strange new worlds every week. DS9 couldn't do that, so they had to focus more on character devolopment and political intrigue.

Really that's what made DS9 my favorite. It really fleshed out and gave depth to many of the species we had already met. Cardassians, Bajorians, Ferengi, even the Klingons.
Old July 1 2012, 06:31 PM   #30
Iamnotspock
Captain

DS9.

He was great on TNG, but I think he was used far more effectively on DS9. One thing that always impressed me about First Contact is that it's the DS9 Worf who returns to the Enterprise. It would have been easy to have him just slot back into his old relationships with that crew, but instead we have a Worf who has learned from Sisko, and challenges Picard in a way I don't think he would have on TNG. It's the perfect example of his development as a character on DS9, and it's a shame that in INS and (particularly) NEM we seemed to get TNG Worf again.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote