New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 29 2012, 12:52 AM   #31
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: Faith in Humanity Restoration Thread

^Yeah, we're all agreed the WBC are fuckwads, that's not the focus of this thread. The awesome little boy is.

And here is another awesome little boy (actually, a bunch of awesome little kids). The boy, Matt, has spastic cerebral palsy, but wanted to run in his school's field day race, meaning he has to complete two laps. Watch the whole video, it gets amazing. But you might cry!

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 05:37 AM   #32
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

That little boy's spirit is so much bigger than his body.
Also, I made it 16 seconds before bursting into tears.
And then, all the kids start cheering him on and walking with him! I went through half a box of tissues in the span of two minutes!

[faith in humanity affirmed]
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 08:16 PM   #33
Shanndee
Commodore

Oh, that was very moving (and thanks for the warning about the oncoming tears!).

I have to say that I am really happy to see the response of the other children. It seems that any time I hear a story about kids lately it is related to bullying. It is wonderful to see the exact opposite on display in this video!

I second J. Allen..[faith in humanity affirmed]!

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2012, 01:40 AM   #34
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^It is amazing, isn't it? People can be great!

Old June 30 2012, 01:42 AM   #35
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Absolutely. I found that out when I visited Baltimore.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 01:16 AM   #36
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

An hour ago I went to Arby's and bought two chicken sandwiches. The cashier asked me if I had a coupon (2 sandwiches for $5). I said I didn't have one. She gave me the coupon price anyway.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 03:43 AM   #37
Velocity
Rear Admiral

Several years ago I was driving back to NC from IL with my daughter and my car broke down on I-64 outside Charlottesville--a belt broke. we didn't own a cell phone at that time so we couldn't call for help. We stood on the side of the 6 lane road making phone signals to passing cars (you know, hand up to our ear). Eight different people stopped to offer help--one woman offered to use her pantyhose in place of the broken belt. No one threatened or scared us. Someone ultimately called the highway patrol and he called a tow truck. We were towed to a service station and since they (service station guys) couldn't get a replacement belt that day, they drove us to a nice hotel for the night. The whole experience restored my faith in humanity.
Old July 4 2012, 05:23 AM   #38
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
An hour ago I went to Arby's and bought two chicken sandwiches. The cashier asked me if I had a coupon (2 sandwiches for $5). I said I didn't have one. She gave me the coupon price anyway.
I do that all the time. It's just good customer service.
Old July 4 2012, 07:27 AM   #39
RoJoHen
Awesome

That video was great. What an awesome group of kids!
Old July 4 2012, 09:34 AM   #40
macloudt
Down with this sort of thing

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

Shanndee wrote: View Post
I have to say that I am really happy to see the response of the other children. It seems that any time I hear a story about kids lately it is related to bullying. It is wonderful to see the exact opposite on display in this video!
The way kids are portrayed in the media as bullies and generally rotten drives me nuts. 99.9% are good people, like the kids cheering Matt on in the video. When my son on the autistic spectrum was in a mainstream primary school he had some issues with bullies on the playground, but his classmates were awesome with him, and did their best to include and support my son as much as possible.

I volunteer on the front desk at a Citizens Advice Bureau. What not many people know is that the vast majority of people working at CABs are volunteers, including the vast majority of the advisors. The advisors give at least one day a week of their time to help those who seek CABs' services, and undergo about a year of training. Many of the advisors in our Bureau also attend court hearings and tribunals with their clients. They give an amazing amount of their time and expertise on a weekly basis, all in the aid of those less fortunate and/or able than them.

High-quality, beautiful hand knit items in support of charity available at Neighbourworks - Close Knit Style. Check it out!
macloudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 08:38 PM   #41
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Mild necro of this thread for this worthy story of people being awesome and doing the right thing:

http://jezebel.com/5946643/reddit-us...ously-schooled

Old September 26 2012, 08:39 PM   #42
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I heard about this yesterday and I'm glad she stuck up for herself. No one should be made to feel ashamed for how they look.
Old September 26 2012, 08:57 PM   #43
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Her response was remarkable, but perhaps even more remarkable was the apology (or maybe that's just the morals of being raised in a predominantly Christian society speaking -- prodigal son and that -- but nevertheless, it was pretty cool).

Old September 26 2012, 09:31 PM   #44
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Yeah, that was great! Not too often you see someone quickly fess up to their own bad behavior and try to make amends.

It could have been a really nasty situation, but she led by example and it worked.
Old September 27 2012, 07:39 PM   #45
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Okay so this is obviously a totally minor thing, but I'm at the airport right now and had a bad situation turn into a good one. When I originally booked my trip, I did it online but never got a confirmation. I called up American Airlines and was told that it didn't go through so I would have to rebook. It also hadn't appeared on the credit card, so I went ahead and rebooked about a week later.

Today I go to check in and I'm told that I have two seats booked on the flight! Not good. I checked in under one, then called AA when I was past security. The agent quickly understood the situation, apologized, and cancelled my other reservation and refunded the full price. I didn't have to ask or fight or anything, which was pretty nice. So what could have been a huge hassle turned out to be fixed rather easily. Thanks American Airlines!
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote