Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 25 2012, 03:25 AM   #4576
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

^ My thoughts exactly. Although I am interested in the zero issue...nothing they've done in "Superman" has interested me as much as what Morrison has been doing in "Action Comics".

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 03:40 AM   #4577
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Yes, Morrison does come off as a jerk. However, it's really DC editorial at fault. They need to either get Morrison to play ball or find out a way around that.

What's interesting is that, as I said upthread, the back-ups in Action are awesome and fit in with what Grant is doing. A few months ago, it focused on Clark selling the farm, something that this month's issue referenced. The Steel backup also fit in quite well, narratively, with the main story.

So if Morrison worked with Sholly Fisch, why not with Perez? Editorial should have made sure of that.

Either way, I'm not a fan of having a book set in the past. Sooner or later, it'll end up contradicting something. It really hamstrings those writing books in the present.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 06:18 AM   #4578
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
So if Morrison worked with Sholly Fisch, why not with Perez?
Because Fisch was selected personally by Morrison to write the backups presumably after Morrison got the previous guy that DC intended, Fialkov tossed out.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 08:43 PM   #4579
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Batman: Earth One preview.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/...nd-gary-frank/

I can't wait for this! It looks awesome.

Old June 25 2012, 09:12 PM   #4580
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Batman: Earth One preview.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/...nd-gary-frank/

I can't wait for this! It looks awesome.
Finally, I was afraid this was never going to come out.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 10:02 PM   #4581
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Alan Kistler wrote up some annotations for Action Comics #1

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=39326

Old June 27 2012, 09:17 AM   #4582
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Looks like DC is trying to tie in "Batman: The Dark Knight" closer with "Detective Comics" now.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Greg...ro-issues.html

I still think that Joe Chill is going to be revealed to have been a Talon, or if not that, some kind of connection with the Court.

Also Buzzfeed conducts an interview with Geoff Johns regarding Batman: Earth One.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/exclu...terview-with-g

Apparently Bruce is written as a bit of a dick as a young man according to the interviewer who read the graphic novel and Alfred is "bad ass" (even though I've always considered previous incarnations of Alfred as being bad ass). Still, I'm looking forward to this book, have been since it's initial announcement. I just hope that Johns writes this Batman differently than the Batman in Justice League.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; June 27 2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old June 29 2012, 07:27 AM   #4583
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Aquaman #10: Enjoyed this issue a lot as we delve into the past between Arthur and Black Manta and Shin is focused on as well. Is the Operative a new character? Or someone that Johns has brought back? I'm not familiar with him at all.

Batman Incorporated# 2: Morrison focused on Talia on this issue and she's given a "new" origin...although I'm not sure what exactly is new about it. We see Talia as a young girl for the first time I think, and that Ra's apparently met her mother at Live Aide in London then shunned her many years later and claimed she was dead. No mention of Talia's sister Nyssa from Death and the Maidens (possible this was what was retconned out of Talia's origin). We then see the Doctor Daark introduction of Batman saving Talia from Daark. We get the Son of the Demon stuff that Morrison has used before, he corrects his mistake that he made in "Batman and Son" by having Talia drug Bruce before sleeping with him. It is implied that this is the conception of Damian (as it was in Batman and Son, only it made more sense in the previous continuity). What's weird is that we get a glimpse of Talia making her pitch to Luthor's Secret Society from Infinite Crisis (which I believe is not supposed to exist in the 52'Verse, which again makes me question how this is supposed to even be in the New 52'Verse when Morrison constantly make reference to things that aren't supposed to exist). It is heavily implied in this issue that Talia's love of Bruce was something set up and manipulated by Ra's. Chris Burnham's art is simply fantastic in this issue as well. There's a lot going on as well. This is something of an intermission almost.

Old June 29 2012, 02:29 PM   #4584
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I haven't read Batman Inc #2 yet, but I have read the two Justice League titles. I've held off on All-Star Western because I'm burned out on Court of Owls tie-ins just now (three of them in titles I regularly read).

I like the main JLA title while I read it, but it's like I can't remember most of it ten minutes later. The design for Graves isn't too bad, but I'm a little annoyed that Johns went with the Asuras. They never appear in comics before Buffy season 8, and suddenly Johns has the I'm-sure completely independent idea to also use them? Right. Green Lantern is still being written as though he were 17, but Batman and Superman work in this title. I'm slowly being sold on Cyborg's inclusion: he's basically Jarvis with an exo-skeleton. The title makes references to recent events in Wonder Woman.

JL Dark was fantastic: best issue yet with a "holy crap" moment on virtually every page. Faust is played like someone we should all know and disdain, so I assume some of his history is intact. The new 52's Constantine is becoming his own man pretty rapidly. And a Father Time reference. What more could you want?

Steve Trevor is quickly becoming a favorite character in the new 52 on the strength of his appearances in the JL titles.
Old June 29 2012, 03:07 PM   #4585
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Batman Incorporated# 2: Morrison focused on Talia on this issue and she's given a "new" origin...although I'm not sure what exactly is new about it. We see Talia as a young girl for the first time I think, and that Ra's apparently met her mother at Live Aide in London then shunned her many years later and claimed she was dead.
It's Woodstock. This is the original origin for how Ra's and Talia's mother met according to Denny O'Neil. The only differences are that 1) Morrison's Ra's was already batshit insane and evil and 2) she helped raise Talia according to O'Neil's origin and was killed by one of Ra's men gone rogue.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 03:24 PM   #4586
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Okay, I've read Batman Inc now. Oh hoho. Delicious.

The concert can't be Woodstock now; the stage seems to point to something like Live-Aid, with the world in the shape of musical instruments and the fundraising. Love the panel where R'as' eyes have little Batmans in them. I should know who the girl in the blue sweater is standing behind Batman and scowling (on the page where Batman "rescues" Talia) - is she the Batwoman Kathy Kane fought in Batman Inc part 1?

I read the Birth of the Demon trade DC released last year, containing the O'Neill stuff. We both see Talia's mother die at the hands of the rogue follower, and we hear she died of an overdose, across the three books collected here (IIRC). So the possibility that she's alive is a further complication indeed.

Also: I, Vampire 10. More holycrapholycrapholycrap. It's always been a beautiful series, but this issue has some battle scenes that are gorgeous. I also think the conversation between the professor and the Van Helsing leader was great, especially the latter's sense of the "long view" - "supers" are just the next vampires.

Last edited by Derishton; June 29 2012 at 03:49 PM.
Derishton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 07:24 PM   #4587
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Tony Daniels to leave Detective Comics after September's #0 issue. Maybe the title will get a writer who will make it worth reading.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 09:08 PM   #4588
indianatrekker26
Captain

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Tony Daniels to leave Detective Comics after September's #0 issue. Maybe the title will get a writer who will make it worth reading.
I did enjoy Daniel's first issue of Detective Comics (52), but since that issue, it really went downhill. Wasn't horrible, but i think he's done everything he can with the character, and wish him well in his future projects. I'm looking forward to who will be coming onto the book.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 09:15 PM   #4589
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yay! I really hope they put a decent writer on Detective...and yeah it can't be Woodstock, Rich Johnston in his review of the book states that it is Live Aid in London and like Derishton states the stage is set up differently.

Old June 30 2012, 01:48 AM   #4590
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Read Earth 2, #2 out of curiosity on "gay Green Lantern" and actually ended up liking the book overall, may have to pick up #1 and follow this one and drop a Batman book (probably TDK.) This issue's more primary focus was on Earth 2's The Flash with the future Green Lantern in the "B-Plot." But it was a decent book.