Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old June 28 2012, 07:10 PM   #1
ILOVETREK1701
Lieutenant Commander

Which serise was Worf the best in?

In your opinion was Worf better written for ds9 or tng?
ILOVETREK1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2012, 07:13 PM   #2
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Which serise was Worf the best in?

Both series had their better Worf episodes and their weaker ones, of course by the DSN episodes they had been writting the character for some time so had a better handle.

And this might be better in the General Trek thread, given that it relates to two trek shows.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2012, 08:07 PM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral

ILOVETREK1701 wrote: View Post
In your opinion was Worf better written for ds9 or tng?
I gotta say DS9, for the sole reason that he wasn't spending the first half of that series as a growling, snarling brute who can't open doors.
Old June 28 2012, 08:28 PM   #4
ILOVETREK1701
Lieutenant Commander

^ LOL! So true.
Old June 28 2012, 08:59 PM   #5
horatio83
Commodore

TNG. He didn't fit into DS9, the show as already overcrowded with characters and as far as I remember he never had any of those brilliant or hilarious moments he had so often in TNG.
Old June 28 2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Perhaps, perhaps not. But say what you will--on DS9, we did NOT witness the pathetic running gag of the tough bad guy knocking out Worf.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Shanndee
Commodore

Agreeing with Rush. It was getting difficult to accept Worf as security chief when he never seemed able to win a fight!

I personally think he was written with more depth on DS9, so my vote is for DS9.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2012, 09:30 PM   #8
Mage
Commodore

horatio83 wrote: View Post
TNG. He didn't fit into DS9, the show as already overcrowded with characters and as far as I remember he never had any of those brilliant or hilarious moments he had so often in TNG.
Worf was for less of a gimmick on DS9 and more of a character, even though he was brought to DS9 as a gimmick. His character worked so much better in that show, bringing some much needed change for the character, who's biggest deal on the Enterprise was to push the button that says fire on the tactical station, and to have Picard remind him that in a way, we are all human.

No, Worf finally became a character instead of a bridge ornament during DS9. And as for being hilarious...
The scene where O'Brien tells him that they are having another baby, and seeing Worf's reaction.... Priceless.
Old June 28 2012, 09:31 PM   #9
ILOVETREK1701
Lieutenant Commander

I am split down the middle, for me it's to close. For example we had the wonderful moments on tng like the whole prune juice thing, but on ds9 we had him with Dax and more depth.
Old June 28 2012, 09:46 PM   #10
horatio83
Commodore

Mage wrote: View Post
horatio83 wrote: View Post
Worf was for less of a gimmick on DS9 and more of a character, even though he was brought to DS9 as a gimmick. His character worked so much better in that show, bringing some much needed change for the character, who's biggest deal on the Enterprise was to push the button that says fire on the tactical station, and to have Picard remind him that in a way, we are all human.

No, Worf finally became a character instead of a bridge ornament during DS9. And as for being hilarious...
The scene where O'Brien tells him that they are having another baby, and seeing Worf's reaction.... Priceless.
That's simply factually wrong. We are not talking about TOS where the minor characters never got any spotlight. Worf got plenty to do in TNG besides standing at his post and Sins of the Father and Redemption are probably the best stories in which he is the protagonist.
Old June 29 2012, 03:48 AM   #11
sonak
Vice Admiral

he was better on TNG. He stood out there. He was unique. On DS9, he was almost a Klingon version of Odo.

DS9 had many more alien characters and outsiders, so Worf didn't stand out as the alien outsider.

Plus, Worf seemed to lose a lot of the dry sense of humor that he had on TNG and became more of a stick in the mud.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 05:22 AM   #12
Mr_Homn
Captain

sonak wrote: View Post

Plus, Worf seemed to lose a lot of the dry sense of humor that he had on TNG and became more of a stick in the mud.
Yes I missed that aspect of his personality as well.

In DS9 he had cooler stuff to do, but his personality on TNG was much better. So it's a toss up.
Old June 29 2012, 07:47 AM   #13
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

His hair was WAY better in DS9.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 03:27 PM   #14
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

TNG

We got to see the character evolve from young and overeager, "are you going to blow a hole in the view screen?" to a seasoned veteran.

Late TNG and DS9 always tried to play on his divided loyalties, but no episode did it better than season ones Heart of Glory.
Old June 29 2012, 06:18 PM   #15
Eric Cheung
Fleet Captain

DS9

On TNG he was a punching bag.

On DS9 he was a passionate warrior:
Ikat'ika wrote:
I yield. I cannot defeat this Klingon. All I can do is kill him. And that no longer holds my interest.
he was better on TNG. He stood out there. He was unique. On DS9, he was almost a Klingon version of Odo.

DS9 had many more alien characters and outsiders, so Worf didn't stand out as the alien outsider.
I don't know. I think what's remarkable about Worf coming aboard DS9 is that he's very different from other Starfleet officers that might have challenged Odo like Primmin and Eddington. In fact their ability to bond gruffly over their similarities was a wonderful touch to the addition of Worf.
I don't think that's the case at all. I will grant you that the DS9 writers definitely tried to challenge Worf's ideology and even frequently put him on the wrong side of an issue, but I actually think that's an asset to Worf as a character.

But his humor was still there. For example, when asked about the content of Klingon dreams:
Worf wrote:
Things that would send cold chills down your spine, and wake you in the middle of the night. No, it is better that you do not know.
Eric Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote