RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 775
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 28 2012, 08:01 PM   #31
JD
Admiral

Re: Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

Christopher wrote: View Post

The thing that bugged me the most was the way the episode embraced the lazy, ignorant stereotype of Africa = jungle and animals. Africa is the most diverse continent on Earth in geography, climate, culture, and ethnicity. It has plenty of major, modern cities, so there's no reason 31st-century Africa couldn't have looked as high-tech and urbanized as most other locations they visit. At the very least, Kenya's ecosystem is savannah and steppe, not jungle.

I did like the continuity nod to Bender's Big Score -- that they figured out time travel by finding a record of the code Bender used in that film.
I had the same thought when they went to Africa. I was expecting some kind of Africa themed city, and all we got was a hospital in the middle of a jungle. I thought the rest of the episode was pretty good, although I do agree that it probably won't hold up real well in years to come due to all of the current events based humor.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2012, 10:45 PM   #32
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
I, too, was hoping that they'd advert the sterotypical view of Africa. I half expected the Planet Express shuttle to clear the leaves and find a fully futuristic city.

On the other hand, I loved the beginning with the "Free Beer" opening gimmick.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 09:41 AM   #33
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
And I think RJDiogenes needs to invest in a trusty DVR. Set and forget!
You're definitely right. More capacity than VHS, too.
Old June 29 2012, 12:12 PM   #34
Reverend
Rear Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
^
I, too, was hoping that they'd advert the sterotypical view of Africa. I half expected the Planet Express shuttle to clear the leaves and find a fully futuristic city.

On the other hand, I loved the beginning with the "Free Beer" opening gimmick.
^Yeah, I expected them to hack their way out to find they'd parked in the only patch of jungle in the middle of a massive cityscape.

Anyway, I thought there weren't any jungles on Earth anymore. Was this one transplanted over from Mars?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 04:20 AM   #35
Disruptor
Commodore

The Thief of Baghead

Homer gets a new job as a...wrong show. Hard for them not to overuse Bender.

Not too shabby. The part about Bender using a camera that still uses film. Cheap jokes like Selen Go-Bot and Parts Hilton amused me. The mysterious actor was an interesting foil.

Wait, is
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 05:08 AM   #36
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Well, with Futurama's strict adherence to continuity, yes, Calculon must
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 01:33 PM   #37
Disruptor
Commodore

I wouldn't care if he did, he was never that interesting. Though at least he isn't a one-note, instantly dated creation like Elzar.

Speaking of continuity...
Continuity error: Zoidberg and The Professor were in commando attire, then when the monster had Zoidberg and Farnsworth in its clutches, they were back in their regular clothes.

Old July 5 2012, 03:17 PM   #38
Christopher
Writer

I found this a mostly mediocre episode that didn't hold together very well. I mean, if the plan was to "help" Calculon win the acting contest, they didn't really do anything to help. All they did was ask him to help them. And then they just stood there and let Cobb's ego get inflated by the audience acclaim -- at least they could've booed him from the side of the stage, or better yet, tried to undermine his performance by sabotaging the lights or curtains or distracting him somehow. Given how much was at stake, the gang made virtually no attempt to turn things in their favor, and that's just lazy writing.

The one thing I really liked was the part where Calculon did Romeo's death scene and they let Maurice LaMarche actually play it straight instead of doing his usual Calculon ham routine. It was a good showcase for LaMarche as an actor, though a questionable fit to the character.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 02:48 AM   #39
TemporalFlux
Commodore

"Welcome... to Jurassic Tank."

The writers have hit a stride again. I was starting to think Futurama would never again consistently be what it was in its hey-day; but 3 out of the last 4 episodes have been solid classics!
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 06:38 AM   #40
JD
Admiral

Not horrible not great. I can't really think of any specific comments other than that it was ok.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 09:42 PM   #41
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Eh, another off episode. Hope next week they're back to form.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 03:02 AM   #42
Showdown
Fleet Captain

------------------------------------
Decision 3012

There was an editing mistake during the angry mob scene. I don't remember the exact words, but here is sort-of what was said and my response.

Senator Travers: I am from earth.

Angry Mob Member: Show us your long form earth certificate!

Senator Travers: What would it take to convince you people?

Me: Um, what they just asked for? You know, that earth certificate they just mentioned a few seconds ago.

About the ending... The "Mary Sue" senator wins the election. Then, he won't go back in time, and Nixon wins. When that happens, shouldn't that cause Travers to go back in time and win the election? But then, he won't go back in time again, causing Nixon to win. It is an infinite time loop. Captain Janeway says it best. "I hate temporal paradoxes."

Thief of Baghead

I think Calculon should have won. I believe he will be back. Many robots have a back up unit.
Old July 7 2012, 08:42 AM   #43
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I really liked "The Thief of Baghead," especially of the film photography jokes. Here's hoping Calculon stays dead but I'm not holding my breath.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 01:35 AM   #44
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Emh wrote: View Post
I really liked "The Thief of Baghead," especially of the film photography jokes. Here's hoping Calculon stays dead but I'm not holding my breath.
Why would he? As previously established, they like their continuity. It wasn't long ago that they established that when a robot "dies" their memories are downloaded into a new, duplicate body. Bender doesn't have that ability, but other robots do. Why wouldn't Calculon just download into a new body and continue acting like usual?
Old July 8 2012, 04:37 AM   #45
Disruptor
Commodore

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Why would he? As previously established, they like their continuity. It wasn't long ago that they established that when a robot "dies" their memories are downloaded into a new, duplicate body. Bender doesn't have that ability, but other robots do. Why wouldn't Calculon just download into a new body and continue acting like usual?
Yeah...that "back up" unit reveal raised some continuity questions.

Odd that earlier Bender thought he was a disabled robot and toured with Beck...bringing attention to disabled robots everywhere.

Why wouldn't the robots just "die" and download into new fully functioning bodies?

What about the robots that are "born" not manufactured? How can they be downloaded into a duplicate body?