Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 28 2012, 03:28 AM   #46
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Storage Wars

Yeah, seems like Dave's more in the "back row" this time, maybe his behavior on the show hasn't been good for his business(es)?
Old June 28 2012, 03:55 AM   #47
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Actually, funny you mentioned Dave, because there was a small segment with him explaining to us that he sold his thrift shop and was looking for a different place, but he was too late (it was supposed to be a "dream location") to get it, someone beat him to the punch. He mentioned taking some losses as well and hasn't really been much on the show this season I don't think.

I get his mentality...the whole serious business gimmick, and I respect his drive and passion for what he does, but really if he wasn't such a dick all the time...but I guess every show needs a villain

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2012, 04:16 AM   #48
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I saw the episode with him looking to buy a new place, or whatever. But considering some of the money we saw him making on the show, including the 30K in party lights/gear he sold, you'd think his financial situation would be better or something. I'm guessing man-purse dude is more the "villain" now as everyone were even rallying with Dave to take Manpurse down.
Old June 28 2012, 04:26 AM   #49
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Ugh Mark...he's a doofus. The Nintendo episode with him was absolutely hilarious!! Where he thought he had found an original model NES...but turned out to be just a normal regular one, I was laughing with Darryl on that one! I can see why no one likes him on the show. I think they revealed on one of the post season retrospective shows that Barry or Darryl had actually made the most money out of the cast in two seasons. Wikipedia has a list of their earnings to date I believe.

Old June 28 2012, 04:28 AM   #50
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Barry is awesome. He is pretty much how I'd like to be at his age.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2012, 04:41 AM   #51
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Barry is basically why I started watching the show in the first place...well him...and Brandi Seriously though, Barry is the best thing about "Storage Wars". He oozes coolness!

Old June 28 2012, 05:05 AM   #52
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

It just makes me feel sorry for the people who have died or lack the money to pay and have their possessions bought by these creeps.
Old June 28 2012, 05:10 AM   #53
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Why are they creeps? I have thought about that as well...apparently storage units are abandoned if rent is not paid for three months. That could mean any of number of things. To me that is part of the risk of putting stuff in a storage locker in the first place, I'm pretty sure the original people are well aware of the risks and policies.

Old June 28 2012, 05:17 AM   #54
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

The Grim Ghost wrote: View Post
It just makes me feel sorry for the people who have died or lack the money to pay and have their possessions bought by these creeps.
What would you recommend instead?
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2012, 06:05 AM   #55
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

I love this show. Barry is awesome.

Dave was making some noise last season about not resigning for this season if he didn't get what he thought he deserved. Maybe they took him up on that.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2012, 06:15 AM   #56
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I hadn't heard that about Dave, but it sure does sound like something he would do.

Old June 28 2012, 06:21 AM   #57
erastus25
Fleet Captain

Or in jail... And, yeah, I don't have a lot of sympathy. Put it in your will! Plus, the vast majority of the stuff is junk anyway.

On a different note: does anyone actually believe Darryl and Brandon are not getting along? That felt like the most contrived "storyline" on the show ever as I was watching.
Old June 28 2012, 06:29 AM   #58
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I agree it feels contrived. I did laugh I think with last week's episode when Daryl asked him to go with him to the auction only like an episode after supposedly cutting him loose, the expression on Brandon's face was like WTF? Really? LOL.

Old June 28 2012, 01:32 PM   #59
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

They're not creeps, many have broad personalities, sure, but creeps?

As much of as an asshole as he is Dave seems to be a businessman who makes a living off of selling second-hand merchandise. Same with Darryl. Brandi and Jerrod are also in business together and actually they seem to have a much larger business than is led on in the show, they have a decent sized consignment shop as well as the Outlaw line of clothing. Then there's Barry who's just an old man out for rare, odd, items and antiques. Someone who seemingly has a good cache of cash.

Besides, if someone put stuff in a storage locker and circumstances led to it going into default for a few months what else is supposed to happen? The locker place has to get the space back in order to use it again and they'd probably prefer to get some of the money they're owed back in the process. Are they supposed to just nicely hand over the stuff to their former client? What would then be the incentive to even pay the rent if you can keep your stuff in there for months, not pay, and get it back?

I recall hearing on this show, too, that someone had seen their family member's stuff on the show as it was a locker they didn't know their deceased family member had, they contacted the show and the locker winner worked with the family to recover some of the more valuable/desired items.
Old June 28 2012, 03:38 PM   #60
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
They're not creeps, many have broad personalities, sure, but creeps?

As much of as an asshole as he is Dave seems to be a businessman who makes a living off of selling second-hand merchandise. Same with Darryl. Brandi and Jerrod are also in business together and actually they seem to have a much larger business than is led on in the show, they have a decent sized consignment shop as well as the Outlaw line of clothing. Then there's Barry who's just an old man out for rare, odd, items and antiques. Someone who seemingly has a good cache of cash.

Besides, if someone put stuff in a storage locker and circumstances led to it going into default for a few months what else is supposed to happen? The locker place has to get the space back in order to use it again and they'd probably prefer to get some of the money they're owed back in the process. Are they supposed to just nicely hand over the stuff to their former client? What would then be the incentive to even pay the rent if you can keep your stuff in there for months, not pay, and get it back?

I recall hearing on this show, too, that someone had seen their family member's stuff on the show as it was a locker they didn't know their deceased family member had, they contacted the show and the locker winner worked with the family to recover some of the more valuable/desired items.
if you abandon an apartment full of stuff after an certain amount of time the landlord is allowed to sell it in order to cover his losses as well.

Dave must be selling an awfull lot of stuff to be able to maintain that huge building and all that staff. I watched an end of the season interview type of episode and they were saying that auction prices had gone through the roof since the show began. Tons of people showing up at auctions after watching the show thinking they were going to hit gold at every auction.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote