The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 27 2012, 12:35 AM   #451
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Well, we don't know how the last few minutes of the episode would have worked out. Maybe Aang would have still made contact. Maybe he could have explained things away without restoring her powers. I could see it working out that way and still feeling like an ending. It would have simply depended on how the last few scenes played out.
Old June 27 2012, 12:48 AM   #452
Christopher
Writer

I don't see why they would've chosen to go that way if they hadn't gotten a second season. This isn't Battlestar Galactica or The Sopranos or something. They weren't going to give the series a (possible) ending that would leave the kids in the audience sad and hopeless. (Heck, even Galactica had a moderately upbeat ending.) If they'd known in advance that they'd get a second season, they might well have left Korra without most of her bending as a cliffhanger; but given the need to craft something that could work as a series finale, it's entirely understandable why they didn't go there.

For that matter, they might not have chosen that ending even with the knowledge that they'd get a second season, because we've already seen a series about an Avatar trying to master each element in turn, and they don't want to repeat themselves. I can't blame them for setting up a second season that lets us, at last, see the ongoing adventures of a fully realized Avatar rather than one in training.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 12:51 AM   #453
RoJoHen
Awesome

I completely understand why they went the route they did. I'm just saying it would have been interesting the other way. Korra already had the elements mastered; she wouldn't be trying to master them again. She'd be trying to get them back, possibly by journeying into the spirit world.

Again, I know they weren't aware that they were getting a second season...and I get that it's a show for kids...I'm just saying it could have been another way to go.
Old June 27 2012, 12:54 AM   #454
Christopher
Writer

^Sure, it could've been, and it was the first possibility that occurred to me while I was watching. But given the circumstances under which the season was written, there's simply no realistic way that it ever would've been.

Old June 27 2012, 01:36 AM   #455
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Over the last few days, I was wondering if they could have made changes to the final episode to make it more open-ended after the second season was greenlit.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 01:50 AM   #456
Christopher
Writer

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Over the last few days, I was wondering if they could have made changes to the final episode to make it more open-ended after the second season was greenlit.
It would've cost more money if they had. The animation probably hadn't been done yet, but the last couple of minutes would've had to be re-scripted, re-storyboarded, and re-voiced, and all that would have to be paid for.

And as I said, I'm not sure they would've changed it even if they could. I mean, they were probably hoping for the opportunity to do more, so they would've planned from the start to have an ending that could work either as a series finale or as a point to build a second season from. So I think the ending we got is the one they wanted, not the one they settled for.

Old June 27 2012, 02:40 AM   #457
RoJoHen
Awesome

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Sure, it could've been, and it was the first possibility that occurred to me while I was watching. But given the circumstances under which the season was written, there's simply no realistic way that it ever would've been.
And that's why realism is boring.
Old June 27 2012, 03:37 AM   #458
Mr Light
Admiral

<<Or if she's not the Avatar anymore, what happens to the Avatar cycle? >>

Faith becomes the primary

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 04:49 AM   #459
RoJoHen
Awesome

Just because she loses her ability to bend doesn't mean she stops being the Avatar, I'm sure. Or at least, I'm sure the Avatar cycle would continue as normal after her death.
Old June 27 2012, 07:48 AM   #460
Takeru
Fleet Captain

The finale wasn't that great, I didn't like how they turned Amon into an idiot who did some very visible waterbending in front of tons of people and I did not like that he used bloodbending to take bending away, I think that takes away a lot of the spiritual side of bending. What did he do exactly, stop the flow of the blood to the brain's bending center?
I would have preferred if they had given him some spiritual ability, they didn't have to use Koh or explain every little detail. He still could have been a waterbender (who they tricked into revealing his abilities publicly) but with some special abilities.

A spiritual reason would have also made more sense to explain how Korra could get her bending back quickly. I would have slightly reordered the events at the end, Korra should have unlocked the avatar state by herself, that could have reversed Amon's bending blocking and only after that would Aang have shown up to teach her energybending to restore the other victims' bending.

Aang just showing up in the last minute pretty much saying "You're now spiritual, here's the avatar state, your bending and energybending ... bye!" was bad writing and the show being planned as a mini series is not an excuse, it makes it worse! If you plan your entire story for 12 episodes it should be paced better! The final scene would have been acceptable if Nickelodeon had cut the episode order down to 12 and Bryan and Mike had to scramble to make a satisfying finale, but that wasn't the case.

There were a lot of good things about the finale, but Amon's sudden stupidity and Aang as an avatar ex machina were awful.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 10:00 AM   #461
Mr Light
Admiral

Amon was drowning in the ocean and suddenly woke up deep underwater, so it makes sense he would desperate use his powers to save himself, not rationally thinking about the fact that there might be witnesses.

I just started playing the finale again, and I agree elements feel very rushed. We should have been introduced to Iroh and the Navy in a standalone episode before this. They just show up out of nowhere in the previous episode, we had no mention of them before this.

Also, at the open of the episode they're hiding with this crazy guy with wild hair. Who is this guy? Again, someone they should have introduced in a previous episode.

Old June 27 2012, 11:43 AM   #462
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Also, at the open of the episode they're hiding with this crazy guy with wild hair. Who is this guy? Again, someone they should have introduced in a previous episode.
He was the crazy guy with wild hair living in a bush that Korra met when she first visited the city, when she got in trouble for catching a fish in the park.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 01:41 PM   #463
Mr Light
Admiral

Fair enough! Still, it would have been nice to have seen where this underground sprang up from.

So, who should the Season Two Big Bad be?

I say make it an evil earth bender. I've always felt that earth bending is the most powerful set to have. I think my favorite battle from the old series is in "The Earth King" when Team Avatar has to fight their way through hundreds of earth bending guards to get to the king. That was epic stuff. As long you're on the dirt ground, I would think a good earth bender would be nigh unstoppable.

Not to mention we always had evil fire benders in the old show and we just had an evil water bender. And only Tenzin or his little kids aren't going evil

Old June 27 2012, 01:56 PM   #464
Christopher
Writer

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Just because she loses her ability to bend doesn't mean she stops being the Avatar, I'm sure. Or at least, I'm sure the Avatar cycle would continue as normal after her death.
That's a reasonable conjecture, but that's all it is. Nobody could know that for a fact, because this has never happened before in the history of the world. So the characters, and plenty of the viewers, wouldn't share your certainty on that point. Thus, it would leave things unresolved and would not work as a series finale.

Takeru wrote: View Post
The finale wasn't that great, I didn't like how they turned Amon into an idiot who did some very visible waterbending in front of tons of people...
What Mr Light said. He was acting on pure survival reflex at that point.

and I did not like that he used bloodbending to take bending away, I think that takes away a lot of the spiritual side of bending. What did he do exactly, stop the flow of the blood to the brain's bending center?
Part of the core philosophy of martial arts, and Asian spirituality overall, is that the physical and the spiritual are not opposite "sides" as they are in Western belief, but facets of the same continuum. Channeling the spirit is something you do by moving the body (martial arts, t'ai chi). You heal the body by redirecting its spiritual energy (acupuncture). You rearrange your physical space in order to purify it spiritually (feng shui). There is no divide between the two. And in-universe, we've seen Iroh (the original one) explain how fire- and lightning-bending involved directing energy/chi through the body. So it's entirely in keeping with the metaphysical underpinnings of the show's universe that a bender's spiritual connection with one's element could be severed by a physical change in the body. (I gather there's also precedent in Asian martial-arts fiction and legend for strikes that can permanently incapacitate a fighter's abilities.)

In the context of the show's metaphysics, what he's doing is probably some kind of anti-acupressure -- instead of using touch and pressure to redirect the flow of chi through the body in a positive way, he's blocking it somehow -- to borrow Guru Pathik's analogy, he's damming the stream, or redirecting the flow in a way that severs one's connection with one's element.

I would have preferred if they had given him some spiritual ability, they didn't have to use Koh or explain every little detail. He still could have been a waterbender (who they tricked into revealing his abilities publicly) but with some special abilities.
I'll never understand why anyone thought Koh would have anything to do with this in the first place. I think it started with some attempt to guess why Amon was wearing a mask, but the idea that he'd had his face stolen would never have worked, because Koh's victims had no eyes or mouths, and Amon clearly had both. It was a non-starter of an idea.

And if his abilities genuinely were spiritual, then having him be a bender as well would be overcomplicating things. It would be a revelation that wouldn't go to the core of what he was, and that's poorly structured.

A spiritual reason would have also made more sense to explain how Korra could get her bending back quickly.
I think just the opposite. If it's just a physical alteration, then it makes sense that it's a lesser form of power than the one the Avatar can apply. If it actually were a power on the same level, that would make it harder for her to overcome, not easier.

I would have slightly reordered the events at the end, Korra should have unlocked the avatar state by herself, that could have reversed Amon's bending blocking and only after that would Aang have shown up to teach her energybending to restore the other victims' bending.
But she did unlock it by herself. She is Aang, and Roku, and Kyoshi, and all the others. They're the same soul born into different bodies. Aang isn't a separate person, but a part of herself that she'd never fully connected with before.

Aang just showing up in the last minute pretty much saying "You're now spiritual, here's the avatar state, your bending and energybending ... bye!" was bad writing and the show being planned as a mini series is not an excuse, it makes it worse!
No, it's not bad writing, because it's the payoff they've been building toward the whole series. From very early in the first episode, it was established that Korra had trouble connecting with the spiritual side of being the Avatar. That's a theme that was returned to in the second episode and later, and we saw her spiritual side trying to break through when she got visions from Aang. Then in "Out of the Past" we saw her finally begin to apply Tenzin's lessons about spiritual connection and access that side of herself -- but she was only able to do it when she was close to her lowest ebb. So what happened here didn't come out of the blue -- it's been set up and built toward from the start of the series.

It was also a payoff of her character arc. All along, we've been shown that Korra is arrogant, impulsive, lacking in introspection, and that those qualities got in the way of her connection with her spiritual side. As in many heroes' journeys, she needed to learn humility, to go through an ordeal that forced her to look past the one big flaw that held her back. It was only when she felt powerless that she was finally able to let go and be open to change. It fits with Buddhist and Hindu philosophy too -- you have to let go of all attachments and certainties to find enlightenment.

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Also, at the open of the episode they're hiding with this crazy guy with wild hair. Who is this guy?
His name is Gommu. And I thought he made quite a memorable impression in episode 1. Although I did watch episode 1 three or four times.

Old June 27 2012, 11:11 PM   #465
Psylent1
Captain

I agree that the ending seemed rushed and a little too much of a "happy ending".

I would have liked to have seen Korra spend the second season on a quest to regain her lost elements.

It would have also been interesting to see what effect that many benders losing their bending would have on the world. It might have disrupted the balance of the elements and maybe send them into elemental chaos.
Psylent1 is offline   Reply With Quote