Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 26 2012, 05:20 AM   #211
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Re: Smallville Season 11, it"s happening...

I can't recall if they've shown Jimmy or not. Yeah, it does feel like we've been PMing. Of course you and I are like 90% of this thread.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 11:04 PM   #212
Procutus
Admiral

^

And in time, I hope to fill in the other 10%!

Just finished reading through the two-page narrative between you two, and I have to say I agree with much of what you've said in regard to the show and the way certain things were handled. Sorry AY, but I was not a Lana fan as you know, and I too, was just as happy to see her banished as 'Krypto-Woman'. Personally, I think feel that Lana should've been dumped from the show after Season 3, but that's just me.

Still catching up on the digital issues, hope to take a break from writing tonight to read 5 & 6, then I'll buy the next two. Oh and regarding Jimmy, I do not recall seeing him in any of the issues thus far. Remember, this is just six months after the main part of the finale, that final tag where we see Jimmy was like what, three years later, methinks? If that's the case, we probably won't see young Mr. Olsen show up for quite awhile.

And yeah, the way they handled the character on the show was just frakking appalling. I felt really bad for Aaron.

Later, dudes.

Old June 26 2012, 11:09 PM   #213
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Procutus wrote: View Post
^

Personally, I think feel that Lana should've been dumped from the show after Season 3, but that's just me.
Not just you.
Old June 26 2012, 11:13 PM   #214
Procutus
Admiral

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
^

Personally, I think feel that Lana should've been dumped from the show after Season 3, but that's just me.
Not just you.

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone on this.

And it has nothing to do with Kristen, rather just the character and the way that her mere presence held Clark back and continued to enable his overall douchiness. When they brought her back in the middle of Season 8, I just saw the whole storyline reverting back four seasons. And that was at the point where it was beginning to feel more like Superman a bit and less like Clark Kent, Down on the Farm.

Then of course we got Seasons 9 and 10, which just prolonged the agony of him still being a douche and not flying and becoming Supes.

Old June 26 2012, 11:20 PM   #215
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

^

Not just you.

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone on this.

And it has nothing to do with Kristen
I never blamed Kristen. I mean, goddamn, the woman is gorgeous. I just hated the self-centered, entitled attitude the woman had and the way she had Clark so thoroughly whipped he could barely function as a human/kryptonian being much less as a hero. Also...

the character and the way that her mere presence held Clark back and continued to enable his overall douchiness. When they brought her back in the middle of Season 8, I just saw the whole storyline reverting back four seasons. And that was at the point where it was beginning to feel more like Superman a bit and less like Clark Kent, Down on the Farm.
Lois and Clark were coming along nicely until Lana showed up. It just made it seem like Clark was settling for Lois after Lana left rather than choosing her because he actually wanted her. Pissed me off. Still glad Lana was thoroughly written out though.

Then of course we got Seasons 9 and 10, which just prolonged the agony of him still being a douche and not flying and becoming Supes.
You know I really loved seasons 8-10 and thought Clark was coming along nicely except for the Miles and Alfred's "No flights" bullshit that Brian and Kelly stupidly continued to enforce.
Old June 26 2012, 11:30 PM   #216
Procutus
Admiral

You know I really loved seasons 8-10 and thought Clark was coming along nicely except for the Miles and Alfred's "No flights" bullshit that Brian and Kelly stupidly continued to enforce.

Seriously, what was up with that, for the love of God? I mean, at that point it was laughable when virtually everyone around Clark could fly except him. I mean hell, I half expected the Chlovage to fly when she was under the influence of Brainiac, . His own cousin thought he was defective in some way because he was the only Kryptonian to land on Earth and not be able to fly. Continuing his not flying until the very final ep was just plain lame and damaged the perception of Clark as a true Superman.

All of my kevetching aside, I do still miss having the show on the air.

Old June 26 2012, 11:35 PM   #217
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Seriously, what was up with that, for the love of God? I mean, at that point it was laughable when virtually everyone around Clark could fly except him. I mean hell, I half expected the Chlovage to fly when she was under the influence of Brainiac, . His own cousin thought he was defective in some way because he was the only Kryptonian to land on Earth and not be able to fly. Continuing his not flying until the very final ep was just plain lame and damaged the perception of Clark as a true Superman.
Yeah, he really was more Super-Flash than he was Superman. I think he should have been able to fly after the s4 season premiere ep. If Kal El could fly then BY GOD so could Clark!
Old June 26 2012, 11:39 PM   #218
Procutus
Admiral

I think he should have been able to fly after the s4 season premiere ep. If Kal El could fly then BY GOD so could Clark!

That's really a good point, as it clearly showed Clark's problem was all in his head and not a physical limitation. If he hadn't been constantly poppin' a chub over Lana all the time, he'd have taken to the air as you say, in the Fourth Season premier. That truly would've been great, for Chlo to learn the truth about him simultaneously with the formation of the Fortress AND him actually flying.

Damn. What a missed opportunity, IMO.
Old June 26 2012, 11:52 PM   #219
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

That truly would've been great, for Chlo to learn the truth about him simultaneously with the formation of the Fortress AND him actually flying.

Damn. What a missed opportunity, IMO.
Additionally, I wish Chloe could have learned Clark's secret on her own without Alicia's assistance. I mean the girl was a reporter and exceedingly intelligent and not only doesn't she learn it on her own but Clark's psycho ex-wife is the one to spill it to her? Damn!

By the way I wasn't slamming Alicia. I really liked Alicia and Sarah Carter as well. She had much better chemistry with Tom Welling than Kristen did and would have made a nice transition between Lana and Lois had they kept her.

Though that does bring up one other thing... No Lori Lemaris who in the comics was the transitional girl between Lana and Lois? It's not like mer-people don't exist in Smallville. AC anybody?

When I think of all the things Alfred and Miles could have done the more bitter I get. I'm a pretty weird fan, aren't I?

Last edited by Admiral James Kirk; June 27 2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old June 27 2012, 12:22 AM   #220
JD
Admiral

I was always kinda baffled why the kept Lana around for so long after they brought in Lois. To me that kind of defeated the whole purpose of having a Lois Lane character.
I decided to get the two newest Star Trek: Typhon Pact novels today, so it might be at least another couple weeks before I start on this.
Old June 27 2012, 01:23 AM   #221
Procutus
Admiral

When I think of all the things Alfred and Miles could have done the more bitter I get. I'm a pretty weird fan, aren't I?

Not in the least. I agree with you that there were a lot of missed opportunity during the show's entire run. I for one, kept hoping they'd bring back Dean Cain's character to be a recurring villian during Lex's absence and that we'd seen the entire JL in action more than just the one time.

And yeah, I too wish that Chloe had figured it out on her own. She certainly should've been able to. I mean after all, she did almost all of Clark's thinking for him.

Old June 27 2012, 01:38 AM   #222
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

And yeah, I too wish that Chloe had figured it out on her own. She certainly should've been able to. I mean after all, she did almost all of Clark's thinking for him.

I will give the writers one thing. When Chloe learned Clark's secret she didn't just come out and say so. She did some soul searching and decided to respect his privacy and give him a reason to trust her with his secret. I think the episode Blank is proof why Chloe deserved his friendship, loyalty and trust so much more than Lana did.

Because she earned it.
Old June 27 2012, 07:05 AM   #223
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The other thing with Kryptonite Woman was that as I said it wasn't even necessary...they'd ALREADY written out Kristen with the video diary! That was a perfect ending given what they'd established with Lana's personality and how she does things. All her return did was slow things down between Clark and Lois which started to finally heat up. Personally I think as I said they wanted to give Kristen a "Good" departure...from interviews that Kristen gave in the Vancouver Sun at the time it seemed like she really was tired of the role and had no intention of returning at all.

Regarding Alicia and Chloe...I always looked at that as Alicia's last good act. She was giving Clark a gift in a way...that gift was Chloe, one of his closest and best friends learning and sharing his secret. I thought it was Alicia in her own kooky way giving what she knew Clark needed. Plus knowing how the Smallville writers wrote...it probably would've been another season and a half before Chloe figured it out on her own LOL.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 08:06 PM   #224
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post

Regarding Alicia and Chloe...I always looked at that as Alicia's last good act. She was giving Clark a gift in a way...that gift was Chloe, one of his closest and best friends learning and sharing his secret. I thought it was Alicia in her own kooky way giving what she knew Clark needed.
I would like to believe that but Alicia made it clear in the episode that she wanted Chloe to expose Clark's secret so that the two of them could live together openly as freaks. She hated being the one who elicited all the nasty looks and shocked whispers. It was classic Alicia. She really did have serious issues with boundaries.

Alicia's mistake was that she thought Chloe loved journalism more than she loved Clark.
Plus knowing how the Smallville writers wrote...it probably would've been another season and a half before Chloe figured it out on her own LOL.
Old June 27 2012, 08:23 PM   #225
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

That's very true about Alicia...I'd forgotten about that. Maybe I was projecting my own idealized version of Alicia? I always kind of liked her.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote