Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 27 2012, 04:24 PM   #1336
Camren
Commodore

Re: Mass Effect 3

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
If that's true, it's going to make the Starchild nonsense into even more bullshit.
I think it would validate the Star Child's explanation of his creator's origin (as mentioned in the Extended Cut DLC).
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 04:41 PM   #1337
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Briquettes wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
Something else that occurs to me: am I correct in assuming that there's still one more mass relay left untouched by the crucible wave? That is, the one say out in Dark Space and connects directly to the Citadel. What if the Reapers left one of their own behind to guard it? There could still be a reaper out there, presumably now free from control.
Someone already data mined the files in the EC patch and found what appears to be dialogue text for a future DLC. If it gets made, I think you'll like it.

Original thread on BSN is here: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...dex/12777408/1

That's actually quite interesting. I did wonder if there's something buried in the files regarding future DLC.

You know it just occurred to me that there was no mention/depiction of the Rachi (if you save them both times.) Rather annoying as it was one of the major moral choices in ME1. I mean just a slide of them helping the Krogan rebuild Tuchanka would have been perfect.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 04:42 PM   #1338
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I also thought about the rachni during the EC, and was annoyed by their absence. I would've loved to have seen some rachni either helping to rebuild, as you suggest, or on Earth fighting alongside the other races.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 04:46 PM   #1339
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Steven wrote: View Post
I think there may have been a few additions during the early parts of the Earth mission, but I can't say for certain.
There was nothing new that I could see, and most other people only noticed new content beginning with the run to the beam. There may have been more, I suppose, but if there was it was so minor that it wasn't worth the time it took to play it again.

I'm reminded by a quote from another famous video game AI.

"It was a morality core they installed after I flooded the enrichment center with a deadly neurotoxin, to make me stop flooding the enrichment center with a deadly neurotoxin."

You know what? I *really* appreciate that they did that. It gives that earlier scene more resonance and it reinforces the idea that your choices have consequences.
Yeah, I kinda liked that ending. I know a lot of people see it as a "fuck you" to the fans that didn't like the Catalyst, and maybe it was, but it's effective and it brought back a plot point from one of my favourite scenes in the game, a plot point that was otherwise forgotten.

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't re-insert the extended dialogue between Anderson & Shepard, but perhaps they felt it wasn't a good idea to tease the player with the possibility of a happy ending when in all but (maybe) one outcome, that would be impossible.
I'm surprised they didn't fix the comically out of place "STEEEEEEVE!!!...you sure?" from the beginning of the London mission.

You know it just occurred to me that there was no mention/depiction of the Rachi (if you save them both times.) Rather annoying as it was one of the major moral choices in ME1. I mean just a slide of them helping the Krogan rebuild Tuchanka would have been perfect.
I got a slide of them rebuilding what I presume to be their homeworld, but a lot of people didn't seem to get that for some reason. I'm just one of the lucky few, I guess.

Here it is: http://i.imgur.com/uqtMF.jpg
Old June 27 2012, 05:03 PM   #1340
John Clark
Commodore

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I got a slide of them rebuilding what I presume to be their homeworld, but a lot of people didn't seem to get that for some reason. I'm just one of the lucky few, I guess.

Didn't get that one either though I did side with the Rachni. I don't remember getting one for the Salarians either.

There are still holes, but the ending works for me.
Old June 27 2012, 05:25 PM   #1341
Briquettes
Rear Admiral

Last edited by Briquettes; June 27 2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: typo
Briquettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 06:12 PM   #1342
Jax
Admiral

I loaded my legend file and so far I haven't seen any thing new when do these scenes kick in? I am at the FOB at the moment before you make the assault on the beam.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 06:16 PM   #1343
Reverend
Rear Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post

Looking at this slideshow, it seems there's a lot I didn't see. Judging by the filename, I think the rachni one only appears if you don't cure the genophage and (presumably) do save the Rachni.

Some of those I can't figure out what you'd need to do to get them; how is it possible for Jack to survive but get all of her students killed?

Jax wrote: View Post
I loaded my legend file and so far I haven't seen any thing new when do these scenes kick in? I am at the FOB at the moment before you make the assault on the beam.
Old June 27 2012, 06:33 PM   #1344
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

Old June 27 2012, 08:07 PM   #1345
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^From the in-game codex: -
* CAPITAL SHIPS are Sovereign-class Reapers two kilometers in length. They typically target the dreadnoughts, defense installations, and industrial cities of organic civilizations. Experts believe the Reapers harvest a single species of organics during each cycle of extinction to create these massive ships. Some capital ships are capable of launching small drones equivalent to fighters.
The thing you kill at the end of ME2 would just have been the central core of the Reaper, like the one you find Legion next to in ME2--which was also shaped like a lifeform. The 2km long hull is a shell that gets built up around it.

I think EDI even mentions after the Tuchanka mission that the destroyers appear to be of a uniform design, the Sovereign-class Reapers are all uniquely constructed (though, of course, still very similar.) Actually, that's something else that bothered me. At the end of ME2 you see the full Reaper fleet with some very different looking designs, but in ME3, all we see is the ones that look exactly like Sovereign and the destroyers (plus a cameo from Harbinger.) I realise there's a limit to how many assets they can use in-game, but I'm sure they still could have been used in the pre-rendered scenes.

As for your last point: -

Also...

Last edited by Reverend; June 27 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old June 27 2012, 08:58 PM   #1346
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Think about this, though. If the Catalyst is controlling the Reapers, then the synthetics he's actually referring to ARE the Reapers. It doesn't mean much if the Reapers aren't a unified hivemind with a singular goal; the Krogan aren't either, but their uncontrolled ravaging of the galaxy was a certain enough possibility that the Salarians slapped them with the Genophage, not once, but twice.

It probably isn't so much that every individual reaper is dedicated to devouring organic life. It's just that MOST of them are, and the Catalyst is the only thing keeping their appetite for destruction partially in check. In which case, The Catalyst isn't as concerned with preserving organic life so much as keeping the Reapers from exhausting their food supply.

I doubt that the Leviathan of this file and the Leviathin of Dis are the same Reaper. The Leviathan of Dis was probably Sovereign, or simply another Reaper whose "real" name we don't know
Reapers don't have real names, they are merely content to use the names given to them by others (even the name "Reapers" is merely what the Protheans called them). Harbinger, too, is only so named because he continually refers to himself and/or the collectors as "The Harbinger of your ascendence."

It's too much of a coincidence, IMO.

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; June 27 2012 at 09:09 PM.
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 09:28 PM   #1347
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B

I decided to just watch all the endings on YouTube rather than go through the hassle of downloading and playing it. I'm glad I saved myself the trouble. I think BioWare did as good a job as possible in polishing a turd... but without backtracking on what was a horrible conclusion, it's clear there's only so much to be done.

I was glad to see an explanation of why Normandy retreated, and it's good to know they crew doesn't just starve on that planet.
Old June 27 2012, 09:39 PM   #1348
Reverend
Rear Admiral

newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
Think about this, though. If the Catalyst is controlling the Reapers, then the synthetics he's actually referring to ARE the Reapers. It doesn't mean much if the Reapers aren't a unified hivemind with a singular goal; the Krogan aren't either, but their uncontrolled ravaging of the galaxy was a certain enough possibility that the Salarians slapped them with the Genophage, not once, but twice.

It probably isn't so much that every individual reaper is dedicated to devouring organic life. It's just that MOST of them are, and the Catalyst is the only thing keeping their appetite for destruction partially in check. In which case, The Catalyst isn't as concerned with preserving organic life so much as keeping the Reapers from exhausting their food supply.

I doubt that the Leviathan of this file and the Leviathin of Dis are the same Reaper. The Leviathan of Dis was probably Sovereign, or simply another Reaper whose "real" name we don't know
Reapers don't have real names, they are merely content to use the names given to them by others (even the name "Reapers" is merely what the Protheans called them). Harbinger, too, is only so named because he continually refers to himself and/or the collectors as "The Harbinger of your ascendence."

It's too much of a coincidence, IMO.

Actually, they do have names. In ME2 Legion says Sovereign (the name made up by Saren) referred to itself by name as Nazara. One assumes that is the name of the race that was used in it's creation. Harbinger is an odd one since, being an english word you'd think it was another made up label, but the reaper you kill on Rannoch says to Shepard "Harbinger speaks of you." Perhaps it's real name directly translates as "Harbinger"?

Old June 27 2012, 10:45 PM   #1349
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Actually, they do have names. In ME2 Legion says Sovereign (the name made up by Saren) referred to itself by name as Nazara. One assumes that is the name of the race that was used in it's creation.
That would still be a name given to it by others; either by the Nazara themselves, or by Legion when he realized that Sovereign was created from the Nazara. Or, more likely, whoever Sovereign had been talking to before he spoke to Legion.

Harbinger is an odd one since, being an english word you'd think it was another made up label, but the reaper you kill on Rannoch says to Shepard [I]"Harbinger speaks of you."
That's kind of what I mean. "Harbinger" was mainly a title he used while controlling the Collectors and threatening everyone. It's more of a descriptor than a name. When you consider that the Reapers' primary mode of communication probably isn't linguistic in the first place, the only reason they would even NEED names is when speaking to organics and some times the Geth, in which case they are content to use whatever random labels organics have slapped on them.

If Harbinger had first been encountered by the Volus, for example, the reaper on Rannoch probably would have said "That Horrible Thing That Killed Everyone speaks of you."

Perhaps it's real name directly translates as "Harbinger"?
More likely, it isn't a proper noun so much as what Harbinger literally is. It's like if you had a crewmember on your ship whose name just happened to be "Stupendous Badass."

OTOH, it's worth considering that "Harbinger" might actually refer to the Reapers themselves; a translation, for example of a word used by one of the races that predated the Protheans, referring to the Reapers as "The Harbingers."
Old June 27 2012, 11:38 PM   #1350
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

It probably isn't so much that every individual reaper is dedicated to devouring organic life. It's just that MOST of them are, and the Catalyst is the only thing keeping their appetite for destruction partially in check.
Except that the Reapers are dedicated to harvesting organic and synthetic life, because that is the motivation and purpose given to them by their creator, the Catalyst. The EC data files suggest that a Reaper unshackled from the Catalyst's control (in this case, the one referred to as Leviathan) has free will... and Leviathan chooses to rebel against the purpose for which it was created, and moreover chooses to ally with organics to destroy the other Reapers. Obviously we won't know its motivation until this DLC is released (assuming it is indeed intended to be future DLC), though presumably the collective species that makes up Leviathan is still disgusted by the "solution" that its creation the Catalyst decided upon.

We have no way of knowing what other unshackled Reapers would do, because we have no other instances of there being an uncontrolled Reaper. But since we know each Reaper was once a species that was harvested by other Reapers to be created into a new Reaper (i.e., "preserving the species"), there's also no reason for us to automatically assume that most Reapers, if uncontrolled by the Catalyst and able to act upon free will once again, would choose to perpetuate an organics versus synthetics cycle. This possibility is enough for me to call "bullshit" on the Catalyst's blind belief that organics and synthetics will always want to destroy one another.

Reapers don't have real names, they are merely content to use the names given to them by others (even the name "Reapers" is merely what the Protheans called them).
I used quotations around the word "real" for a reason in that previous post - I was using it as shorthand.

Speaking of bullshit, did anyone else roll their eyes at the Catalyst's expanded description of Synthesis? It says that it had tried similar solutions in the past, but theorized each attempt had failed because the outcome had been forced upon the species in question. It says that Shepard can make the choice - except that Shepard is then acting in the Catalyst's stead, and still forcing that outcome on the species of this cycle. There's no difference.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote