Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 24 2012, 08:50 PM   #736
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Undead
Re: Movies Seen in 2012

^ Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. Brave is by no means a bad movie, and the visuals and voice cast are excellent. But I think there's been a fair criticism that some things could have been less formulaic or more balanced. Some think it's a result of "Disneyfication."

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 09:00 PM   #737
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Unicron wrote: View Post
Some think it's a result of "Disneyfication."
That I don't for a second believe. Pixar has taken over Disney's animation studio, not the other way around; and there's a bunch of stuff in this movie that Disney Animation Studios would never have allowed (the lack of a strong antagonist, for instance; that's common for Pixar, and generally fits the kind of movie they make, but the absence of one from the fairy tale formula is glaring).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 07:52 AM   #738
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Snow White and the Huntsman - free admission
Final Destination 3 - DVD
Piranha 3DD - free admission
The Final Destination - DVD
Final Destination 5 - DVD
Conan the Destroyer - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Stone Cold - Netflix Instant
Ralphie May: Austin-tatious - Netflix Instant
Ralphie May: Too Big to Ignore - Netflix Instant
Shark Night 3D - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Night Passage - Netflix Instant
Kevin Smith: Burn in Hell - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Sea Change - Netflix Instant
Moonrise Kingdom - free admission
God Bless America - free admission
Prometheus 3D/2D - free admission
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - free admission
Rock of Ages - free admission
That's My Boy - free admission
Cursed - DVD
Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter 3D - free screenin'
Escape 2000 (1982) - free admission
Brave 3D - free screenin'
Dracula 2000 - DVD
The Sword and the Sorcerer (1982) - free admission

Took a couple of tries, but I managed to watch Dracula 2000 on DVD. Not a good movie...and would have been so much better if it had been enough to make Dracula Dracula, instead of Dracula and the other guy (spoilers!!!). On the plus side, Jeri Ryan had a supportin' role and got to talk about her boobs. And Nathan Fillion was in a couple of scenes.

Got together with a couple of buddies to see a gawd awful Errol Flynn wannabe fantasy adventure movie from 1982 at the Alamo Drafthouse - South Lamar tonight.

Dear god, what a terrible movie that was...anyone else seen it? 'cause my friends and I were arguin' about whether or not Talon wound up havin' sex with his sister...

Not sure what all else I'll be seein' this week - I have advanced screenin' passes I can't use, a couple of friends who want to see stuff I've already gone to, a few DVDs to watch, and I just started Eureka on DVD.
Old June 25 2012, 09:31 AM   #739
Harvey
Admiral

85. The Killing (B+)
86. The Order of the Black Eagle (F)
87. Jaws (A)

The Killing -- Stanley Kubrick doesn't display his virtuoso visual design that he would develop in later films, but this one isn't so clinical, either. It's a solid crime thriller, although I find the narration tiresome, and the shoot-out near the end is needlessly cacophonous. Sterling Hayden and Elisha Cook, Jr. are good, and the nonlinear structure is an effective way to lay out the heist.

The Order of the Black Eagle -- It's hard to do worse than Duncan Jax, which is not only a total rip off of the James Bond series (and not of the best films of the franchise; he's more like Roger Moore in one of his later outings -- too campy and too damned old), but in this installment filled with some hilarious racism. Not only do we have "Mexican" bandits that speak in the same accent as the Frito Bandito (in the late 80s!), but white extras in brown face trying to make the place (the Carolinas) look like Central America (it doesn't). Terrific bad movie night material.

Jaws -- I was lucky enough to see a brand new, restored 35mm print of the movie this evening, and it was a blast. It really works, even when you know all the scares that are coming, although it's a little disheartening to think that a movie with such craft (and, to a certain extent, unconventional leads) would ultimately lead to such high-concept dreck as Transformers. But, Hollywood's decline (creatively, not financially, and only in certain sectors) doesn't negate how good this movie is. I think the first sequel is somewhat unfairly maligned, but it's easy to see why the first film is superior -- it rarely gets better than the last 30-40 minutes with the three men on the boat, hunting the shark.

Theatres: 38 +1
Home Video: 43 +2
Computer: 6

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 10:48 AM   #740
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

^ I saw Jaws last year and it wasn't as scary or as gripping as I thought it would be. It does get better towards the end, but otherwise, it's pretty tame by today's standards and drags in places.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 10:43 PM   #741
nvek86
Commander

73. The Prize

A spy thriller set among Nobel prize laureates with Paul Newman in the main role. This film could have been so great, but unfortunately the characters have to make stupid decisions or act without thinking several times so that the plot can keep going. But it was still quite fun.
Old June 26 2012, 07:43 AM   #742
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain

14. Men in Black III ★★★1/2

This Friday I finally saw MIBIII and I had a great time. I adored Josh Brolin chanelling Tommy Lee Jones as well as the sixties decor. Was I the only one who didn't see this ending coming...?

Hercule Poirot
: I am an imbecile. I see only half of the picture.
Miss Lemon: I don't even see that.
Miss Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 10:12 AM   #743
od0_ital
Admiral

Snow White and the Huntsman - free admission
Final Destination 3 - DVD
Piranha 3DD - free admission
The Final Destination - DVD
Final Destination 5 - DVD
Conan the Destroyer - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Stone Cold - Netflix Instant
Ralphie May: Austin-tatious - Netflix Instant
Ralphie May: Too Big to Ignore - Netflix Instant
Shark Night 3D - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Night Passage - Netflix Instant
Kevin Smith: Burn in Hell - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Sea Change - Netflix Instant
Moonrise Kingdom - free admission
God Bless America - free admission
Prometheus 3D/2D - free admission
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - free admission
Rock of Ages - free admission
That's My Boy - free admission
Cursed - DVD
Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter 3D - free screenin'
Escape 2000 (1982) - free admission
Brave 3D - free screenin'
Dracula 2000 - DVD
The Sword and the Sorcerer (1982) - free admission
Superman vs The Elite - DVD
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - matinee

Watched the latest DC Animated film yesterday mornin'...I just went for the single disc release, instead of the two-disc, since I wasn't too concerned about a couple of extra episodes of Superman: The Animated Series.

Based off a comic story "What's so Funny about Truth, Justice and the American Way?", it tells the story of how Superman faces rejection from humanity when a new group of metahumans, the Elite, make themselves known. Led by a telekinetic named Manchester Black, the Elite don't just stop the bad guys, they kill 'em, and when Superman tries to stop 'em from bein' judge, jury & executioner, the Elite turn their sights on him.

I kinda liked it...though I wish it were longer, which is my one consistent complaint about DC Animated movies - just over an hour long, maybe an hour & a half if you're lucky, and that's it.

Went to a matinee showin' of Seeking a Friend for the End of the World before work last night. A road trip movie with Steven Carell & Kiera Knightley with quite a few cameos (as ya can see if ya watch the trailer). Really glad two appearances in particular weren't advertised. A friend of mine saw it over the weekend, said she didn't like it much, but it was pretty much what I expected to be watchin'.
Old June 26 2012, 03:51 PM   #744
CaptainCanada
Admiral

71. The Grapes of Wrath (A-)

John Ford's adaptation of John Steinbeck's Pulitzer-winning novel. It's a powerful piece of filmmaking, though not without flaws; at just over 2 hours its a fairly trim adaptation, which is a weakness in spaces (I expect if this was being done today it'd have at least another twenty minutes), mainly in the middle. One brother disappears without explanation along the journey, the departure of an in-law is hardly built up, and the whole situation around Casy's demise is too sudden (I also find John Carradine's interpretation of Casy a bit off). All that said, it's a very powerful piece of filmmaking, anchored by Jane Darwell's phenomenal performance as Ma Joad (she deservedly won Best Supporting Actress; I don't think it would be so big a stretch to argue that she's a Lead).

Cinema: 17
Home Video: 47 (+1)
Computer: 7

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 07:18 PM   #745
Harvey
Admiral

88. Marley & Me (B-)

Marley & Me -- My girlfriend really wants a dog, but that's not going to happen until our living situation changes. Since that might be a while, she'll have to settle for puppy movies. That wasn't nearly the chore that I thought it would be, at least in this case. Oh, make no mistake, this movie has a couple of big problems (I'll get to that in a moment), but it also has a number of instances of surprising honesty, and a pair of leading comic performers (Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston) that are quite good. Plus, the dog, as you might expect from this sort of thing, is adorable.

There are two major flaws to the movie, though. Aniston's character succeeds because of her performance alone; the movie is based on the husband's real memoir, and it often sidelines the wife in favor of scenes with the husband and the dog. When she decides to quit her job as a journalist, it doesn't have much impact, because most of that has been taking place off screen. When John Grogan (Wilson) decides to take a job in Pennsylvania, it means leaving his acerbic editor (Alan Arkin) behind, and that leaves a much greater impression.

The second flaw is the story of John Grogan as a journalist. In the movie, he's constantly pining for the chance to be a real investigative journalist, but when he starts a family he ends up in the role of columnist and stays there for several years. When he finally moves and becomes that reporter he wanted to be, he's constantly trying to be a columnist again. In a better movie, this might be played as an interesting character flaw, but here it's just a thread that gets lost, because this is all about the dog, really. Given the source material, that's fine, but I can't help but feel that there's an even better movie hidden in here somewhere.

Theatres: 38
Home Video: 44 +1

Old June 26 2012, 09:32 PM   #746
nvek86
Commander

74. Land of the Lost

I don't know the series this film is based upon, so maybe it could have been good, but I found it quite bad. Bad story, sets, effects...
Well, to write something positive: I did like Grumpy the T-Rex. The film should have been about him hunting stupid humans.
Old June 27 2012, 06:28 AM   #747
od0_ital
Admiral

^

The movie has very little in common with the original television series.
Old June 27 2012, 07:21 AM   #748
Sysyphyx
Lieutenant

View Sysyphyx's Twitter Profile

Superman Vs. the Elite

...for me, this is one of those middle ground DC movies, not too bad, not too good. l like the fresh attempt to usher Supes into the 21st century by having him appear to take off the kid gloves. And it was good to hear George Newbern back as the voice behind the tights, even though he sounds exactly like Tim Daly.

Delta Force

...Chuck Norris steppin' on necks. 80's cheese at it's finest, though l like Missing ln Action more.

God Bless America

...this is everything Natural Born Killers should have been, and more. Who knew Bobcat Goldthwait was such a good director? You should probably not watch this unless you have at least a little bit of hate for American pop culture. l am in awe of this movie.

Last edited by Sysyphyx; June 27 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Sysyphyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 08:29 PM   #749
Harvey
Admiral

89. Dominick Dunne: After The Party (B)
90. Prometheus (B-)

Dominick Dunne: After The Party -- I didn't know who Dominick Dunne was before watching this film, but he certainly was an interesting fellow (he died in 2009).

Prometheus -- After putting it off for a couple weeks, I finally saw this. I liked it, but it's far short of the greatness of Scott's previous two sf films, and the problems begin and end with the script. The film's greatest asset is David, of course, who steals every scene he's in. It's a shame Theron's Vickers doesn't make it; despite being presented as the villain she's actually somewhat sympathetic. At times, the movie feels like it's trying to replicate the beats of the original film too closely (the final transmission, for example), but it's so visually interesting that it manages to stand on its own (although the creature design is rather unmemorable).

Theatres: 39 +1
Home Video: 45 +1

Old June 27 2012, 08:44 PM   #750
nvek86
Commander

75. To Be or Not To Be (1942)

A very funny film about a group of actors who pretend to be Nazi officers in order to fool the real ones.

od0_ital wrote: View Post
The movie has very little in common with the original television series.
Interesting, thanks. I guess, you unfortunately have to expect that from big productions.