Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 26 2012, 03:53 AM   #436
Christopher
Writer

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Of course Asami's not going to become an Equalist. Even when she was jealous of Korra and Mako, she still fought alongside them, still put what was right above her personal soap opera. If she didn't turn on them now, there's no reason she would later.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 04:30 AM   #437
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Don't get me wrong. The current Equalist movement is created in Amon and Kato's image. Angry, vengeful and violent. That isn't Asami's way.

I think Asami might create a new Equalist movement that is largely non-violent in nature, an organization that truly strives to give non-benders a say in how their world is ruled. However, I suspect Korra now has a bias against any Equalist movement, which would put Korra and Asami on different sides. How they resolve their differences, is something I would love to see. Would they physically fight each other, I hope so :P but I think ultimately Korra and Asami would come to respect each other's perspective and work out a compromise that is beneficial to both benders and non-benders.
Old June 26 2012, 04:40 AM   #438
Christopher
Writer

I don't know -- if anything, I'd expect Asami to be the one who's biased against Equalism, because her father betrayed her in the name of Equalism. Losing a boyfriend is one thing, but losing a father? That's hurt her much more deeply, and she'd probably blame the Equalists for the pain.

Old June 26 2012, 06:10 AM   #439
Manticore
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
And we don't know who the current rulers of the various nations are and whether they're benders. (The current Fire Lord is Zuko's daughter, who's likely to be a firebender, but that's unconfirmed.) All we know is that the United Republic of Nations, created from the former Fire Nation colonies within the western Earth kingdom, has been ruled by an all-bender council during the timespan of TLOK Book 1, though I'd expect that to change in the near future
Do we know that everyone on the council are benders? Obviously Tarrlok and Tenzin were, but if I remember right, we didn't see any of the others ever bend. Also, Sokka and an unnamed Air Acolyte were on the council 40 years before, and clearly neither of them were benders.

I'm not saying that they weren't all benders; I just question the assumption that they were.
Old June 26 2012, 01:45 PM   #440
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

My son and I watched the finale last night.

We both thought it was great. A very good series.

Seeing Korra in the Avatar state had us both cheering.

I'm very interested to see where it goes from here.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 02:48 PM   #441
Christopher
Writer

Manticore wrote: View Post
Do we know that everyone on the council are benders?
Everyone but Tenzin backed Tarrlok's discriminatory laws against non-benders. In "The Voice in the Night," when Tarrlok proposed his anti-Equalist task force to the Council, he referred to "all us benders" while addressing them. In the following scene, Amon referred to the Council as "the bending oppressors." And apparently the "Republic Tour" feature on the interactive TLOK website confirms that all the councillors are benders, according to the Avatar Wiki.

Also, Sokka and an unnamed Air Acolyte were on the council 40 years before, and clearly neither of them were benders.
And that's the crux of the problem. Remember the backstory established in the first episode: Aang and his friends founded Republic City to be the bastion of unity and balance in the world, but in the 17 years since Aang's death, the city has lost its way and fallen out of balance, leading to widespread poverty, gang violence, the domination of benders at the expense of non-benders, etc. The fact that the current Council consists entirely of benders is a sign of how far things have fallen out of balance.

Old June 26 2012, 02:53 PM   #442
CaptainCanada
Admiral

There was gang violence in Aang's day too.

The membership of the council is essentially random (apart from the Air Nomads, when the head of the family is able to take their seat) in terms of who is or isn't a bender, so the fact that all five were benders during this series isn't indicative of anything systemic (beyond that the governments in the Avatar-verse are autocratic, but that's not something at issue in the series, and there are a bunch of good reasons why that's almost certainly not going to come up).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 03:32 PM   #443
Christopher
Writer

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
There was gang violence in Aang's day too.
Everything's relative. Back then we had Yakone; today we have a proliferation of many gangs. Like I said, the first episode of the series made a point of showing Korra everything that was wrong in Republic City, including gang violence, in order to underline to her that it wasn't living up to Aang's vision.

The membership of the council is essentially random (apart from the Air Nomads, when the head of the family is able to take their seat) in terms of who is or isn't a bender, so the fact that all five were benders during this series isn't indicative of anything systemic (beyond that the governments in the Avatar-verse are autocratic, but that's not something at issue in the series, and there are a bunch of good reasons why that's almost certainly not going to come up).
Says who? Yes, we know from the flashbacks that the Council isn't required to be all benders, and I'm sure the same is nominally true today, but given everything we've been shown about the intense bender/non-bender tensions in the city, it seems naive to think the all-bender composition of the current council is just a random coincidence rather than a symptom of the pervasive social injustice that's emerged since Aang's time.

Given that the other three councillors were consistently just rubber stamps for Tarrlok, I'd assume it's likely that he manipulated things to put them into office. And he deliberately stirred up the bender/non-bender tensions to gain power, the same way that politicians often stir up ethnic tensions and fears to rally voters behind them. So he probably arranged to stack the Council with benders. Not systemic, no, but definitely a symptom of the social problems in the city, the problems that Tarrlok both exemplified and consciously exacerbated.

Old June 26 2012, 03:36 PM   #444
RoJoHen
Awesome

Do we have any idea how the council is even formed? Where do these council members come from? The original council is obvious; they're the founders of the city. But what happened after Aang and Company left? Is there an election? Does one person appoint them (like the President and his Cabinet)? Does a retiring councilmen appoint his replacement?

There is a part of me that wishes this was more of an adult drama than a kid's cartoon. I would love to get into all these dirty details.
Old June 26 2012, 03:57 PM   #445
Manticore
Rear Admiral

Manticore wrote: View Post
Do we know that everyone on the council are benders?
Everyone but Tenzin backed Tarrlok's discriminatory laws against non-benders. In "The Voice in the Night," when Tarrlok proposed his anti-Equalist task force to the Council, he referred to "all us benders" while addressing them. In the following scene, Amon referred to the Council as "the bending oppressors." And apparently the "Republic Tour" feature on the interactive TLOK website confirms that all the councillors are benders, according to the Avatar Wiki.

Also, Sokka and an unnamed Air Acolyte were on the council 40 years before, and clearly neither of them were benders.
And that's the crux of the problem. Remember the backstory established in the first episode: Aang and his friends founded Republic City to be the bastion of unity and balance in the world, but in the 17 years since Aang's death, the city has lost its way and fallen out of balance, leading to widespread poverty, gang violence, the domination of benders at the expense of non-benders, etc. The fact that the current Council consists entirely of benders is a sign of how far things have fallen out of balance.
I hadn't realized all of that; I concede the point.
Old June 26 2012, 10:41 PM   #446
Mr Light
Admiral

That was a really good finale.

I'm disappointed Amon was just a blood bender who had nothing to do with the Spirits, though. I really wanted to see the Spirit World and Koh again. They did surprise me because once Tarrlok was revealed to not be Amon and he was too young to be Yakkone, I never considered there would be another member of that family involved.

I would have appreciated a more specific explanation of how blood bending can become energy bending (which is something I recall theorizing a few days ago!).

I really hope Iroh is a regular character now. He was so bad ass! Fall out an airplane? Oh no problem! Of course, in the old show, weren't fire-benders only able to fire-jet-fly under Sozin's Comet...?

I was hoping that Season Two would have Korra only as an airbender on a spiritual quest to unlock her old powers. They should have run with that. Again, we could have seen the Spirit World, and she could try to connect with Aang. So that ending was uplifting and cool but also rushed.

We finally saw Bumi! Hope to see more of him next year.

I thought it was really odd that Tenzin's family was captured off screen after spending an entire episode making sure they escape. I thought they were imposters meant to lure Korra to the stage. That was some convenient/poor plotting.

I really enjoyed seeing a big naval / aerial battle with bending use intermixed. I would have liked to have seen Korra being more of a contribution to the battle though, saving more battleships from torpedoes and so forth.

I loved the scene where Tarrlok kills himself and Amon. It was a great end to their story. Amon was actually being nice and hopeful while his brother quietly kills them both behind his back. Great stuff. He better not survive the explosion!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 10:47 PM   #447
Christopher
Writer

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I was hoping that Season Two would have Korra only as an airbender on a spiritual quest to unlock her old powers. They should have run with that. Again, we could have seen the Spirit World, and she could try to connect with Aang. So that ending was uplifting and cool but also rushed.
Maybe they would have given the chance, but apparently they'd already completed the writing and voice recording for the first 12 episodes by the time they got approval for another 14. So at the time they wrote episode 12, they didn't know if they'd get to do any more, so they had to give it a decisive ending, not a cliffhanger.

Old June 27 2012, 12:02 AM   #448
RoJoHen
Awesome

I really hope Iroh is a regular character now. He was so bad ass! Fall out an airplane? Oh no problem! Of course, in the old show, weren't fire-benders only able to fire-jet-fly under Sozin's Comet...?
Azula did the fire jets a few times. We never saw her "fly" with them, but she's used them both on the ground and while hanging from things.
Old June 27 2012, 12:03 AM   #449
RoJoHen
Awesome

Maybe they would have given the chance, but apparently they'd already completed the writing and voice recording for the first 12 episodes by the time they got approval for another 14. So at the time they wrote episode 12, they didn't know if they'd get to do any more, so they had to give it a decisive ending, not a cliffhanger.
Leaving Korra without powers would have been as decisive an ending as any. It just wouldn't have been happy.
Old June 27 2012, 12:19 AM   #450
Christopher
Writer

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Leaving Korra without powers would have been as decisive an ending as any. It just wouldn't have been happy.
I don't think it would've been decisive, because it would've raised more questions than it answered -- like, will Korra ever access her spiritual side? Or if she's not the Avatar anymore, what happens to the Avatar cycle? Who will restore balance to Republic City, or the world, if there's no Avatar? Anything that leaves so much unresolved is, by definition, not decisive.