Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 13 2012, 07:41 PM   #16
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Re: Extended Lifespan In The Trek Universe

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Wasn't Jameson dying from a disease? Perhaps that prematurely aged him.
Intriguingly, that episode was supposedly pitched as a "return of Kirk/Shatner" episode, IIRC.
I'd never heard that, but can see how it would have worked. Imagine the furore if they'd killed Kirk off in that episode.
Old June 17 2012, 11:00 PM   #17
Timo
Admiral

"Too Short a Season" shows Admiral Jameson as a doddering old man in his 70s.
...And cursing his ailment for preventing him from pursuing an active career as a starship captain at that age! If anything, I'd take the episode as further proof that people live longer in that time and age. That is, although they still spend their last three decades addled in various ways, they now remain active till their eighties or nineties.

Also, the episode seems to point to this being a "recent" development, because Robert April at a comparable age in "Counter-Clock Incident" was officially declared a useless relic who could no longer serve in a frontline role.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 06:45 PM   #18
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

I'm not sure its been referenced so far, but Roddenberry's TMP novelization mentions expected lifespans in the 23rd Century, which may offer some insight into his view on it:

Kirk had always wondered what he would think about on the day he saw death inevitable. He found that the answer to that was almost ridiculously simple—he was annoyed, especially as he realized he might have lived another full century, assuming no accidents or . . .
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 08:19 PM   #19
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Intriguingly, that episode was supposedly pitched as a "return of Kirk/Shatner" episode, IIRC.
Yep, and it shows too with the whole "reversal" of the outcome of "A Private Little War".

Remember this was written during S1 when GR was busy disavowing as much of TOS philosophically as he could.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 10:30 AM   #20
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
Yep, and it shows too with the whole "reversal" of the outcome of "A Private Little War".

Remember this was written during S1 when GR was busy disavowing as much of TOS philosophically as he could.
If that had actually been a sequel to 'A Private Little War' it cud have been pretty good. As it stands, it's already one of the better season one episodes.

Damn, quite a missed opportunity.
Old June 25 2012, 04:55 PM   #21
ToddCam
Captain

On a related note, what is the assumption of Vulcan life spans in the novels? The shows portray that even though Sarek died from a degenerative mental disease and looked fine physically at 202, T'Pol in E^2 looked decrepit at about 185. I tend to assume that Vulcans' lifespans average about 300. It's something that annoyed me, that the T'Pau from "First Steps" somehow couldn't be the T'Pau from "Amok Time" because it was 200 years later! (Obviously ENT gave a better reason.) If Vulcans only live to about 200 and humans to about 150, it really makes Vulcans' attitudes about living so much longer suspect.
ToddCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 05:15 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

ToddCam wrote: View Post
On a related note, what is the assumption of Vulcan life spans in the novels? The shows portray that even though Sarek died from a degenerative mental disease and looked fine physically at 202, T'Pol in E^2 looked decrepit at about 185. I tend to assume that Vulcans' lifespans average about 300.
The Making of Star Trek (published in 1968) established that a typical Vulcan lifespan was about 250 years. So I've always taken that for granted. But as you say, it seems the later shows haven't always followed that lead. Still, Sarek died of a degenerative disease, and alt-T'Pol had been suffering the ravages of the Delphic Expanse for over a century. So they may not be typical cases.

It's something that annoyed me, that the T'Pau from "First Steps" somehow couldn't be the T'Pau from "Amok Time" because it was 200 years later! (Obviously ENT gave a better reason.)
I don't know what you mean. Clearly at the time "First Steps" was written, it was intended to be the same T'Pau, but then ENT established that T'Pau was born in 2122, rendering that impossible. So the fans came up with the retcon that the T'Pau from "First Steps" was a different person of the same name.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 05:46 PM   #23
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Didn't one of Jean Lorrah's novels ("Vulcan Academy Murders" or "IDIC Epidemic") have a 300+ year old Vulcan?

T'Pau was also in a New Frontier novel. She must be approaching that age herself.
Old June 25 2012, 06:00 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Didn't one of Jean Lorrah's novels ("Vulcan Academy Murders" or "IDIC Epidemic") have a 300+ year old Vulcan?
I don't remember, but if the average is c. 250, then it stands to reason that the maximum could be as high as 300, which is only 20% greater. It would be the equivalent of a human living to 105 or more, which does occasionally happen.

T'Pau was also in a New Frontier novel. She must be approaching that age herself.
As stated above, her canonical birthdate was 2122. Thus, in 2382, she would be 260, just slightly above the average asserted in TMoST.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 01:04 AM   #25
Ben
Lieutenant

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I would think it statistically unlikely that any non related group of people would all be naturally long lived and, having been watching reruns of TOS wondered if they have a common experience that would explain it.
Unless they all got zapped by some kind of slow-aging-ray or injected with Nick Fury's Infinity Formula on some mission that we never saw!
Old June 27 2012, 09:31 PM   #26
Timo
Admiral

McCoy and Scotty were both exposed to alien medical care beyond UFP understanding ("For the World is Hollow" and "The Changeling", respectively); Spock was brought back from the dead by the Genesis effect; and Kirk was put through the grinder multiple times, including a body-mind swap in "Turnabout Intruder". In addition, Kirk, McCoy and Spock all received kironide injections that gave them the same supernatural powers enjoyed by a group of very long-lived humanoids.

So basically all the TOS heroes we directly observe enjoying long lives could be doing so because of alien meddling. Or then all of them could be suffering from premature aging by the standards of the day, due to all the life-shortening experiences listed above and elsewhere. They did all suffer through "The Deadly Years", after all...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 10:57 PM   #27
Mountie1988
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Simple answer...

Time Dilation.
Mountie1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 11:34 PM   #28
Charles Phipps
Commander

My view is that humans NATURALLY live to be about 80s or their 100s but that extraordinary medicine can be used to keep them fit or firm into their 200s if they choose (where they'll be completely decrypt). I wouldn't be surprised if there's "regeneration therapies" and organ replacements at a fairly regular rate.

I also tend to view a certain quality of life element that a Starfleet Captain with access to Federation tech nonstop is going to be better off than your average citizen on a colony world. So most people would live until they're 140s or 150 then just let themselves die than trying to squeeze EVERY moment out of their lives.
Old June 25 2013, 12:35 PM   #29
NotLKH
Lieutenant

Timo wrote: View Post
They did all suffer through "The Deadly Years", after all...

Timo Saloniemi
But they were "reset" back to their proper ages via an injection. I've always thought it possible that they weren't truly cured, that they still had the aging disease, its just that it was reset to age them relatively instep with their natural clocks. But at anytime, if injected again, they would again be reset to their initial biological state, and this time the disease would be aging them really slowly.
NotLKH is online now   Reply With Quote