RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 408
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 25 2012, 02:38 AM   #781
Nightowl1701
Commander

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Weyland's desire to meet the aliens, to ask for more life, THAT makes sense... but why hire these people? That makes NO sense, unless one twists and twists.
Shaw: "Well, if we...if we can't make contact, why did you even bring us here?"
Vickers: "Weyland was a superstitious man. He wanted a true believer on board."

And with Shaw on board, Holloway HAD to come too - neither he or Shaw would have it any other way. And, until a living Engineer is found and Weyland's ready to step out from behind the curtain, it wouldn't do to have just the two of them going into the temple without some kind of Company-provided aid. It couldn't be just David and the lady doctor - David would likely have to split off from the main party at some point to pursue his "agenda," and the doctor is, well, a doctor. It can't be any of the other main Prometheus crew members, they're needed to fly the ship. So a pair of extra scientists, just to make Shaw/Holloway feel supported and secure. And Doubting Vickers, who doesn't want to see the mission succeed anyway, has no intention of making things any easier for our two "true believers" by hiring any professionals. So she picks out a pair of "anything for a buck" union types.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 02:40 AM   #782
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Either that or his mimicry of contempt and wonder is so precise as to be indistinguishable from human emotion, in which case the difference between them being real emotions or not is largely a moot point.
I think it's more than a moot point. My Sims show happiness and glee when I buy them a new CRT TV. Are they really feeling happy?
Old June 25 2012, 03:02 AM   #783
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Have you even listened to Dexter's internal monologue in social situations?

"What do they expect me to do now/ look happy? I think it's happy... Show some teeth."

Matt LeBlanc's character Matt leBlanc said something along these lines in his new series Episodes... "Special effects? I'm over it. You know how I was in Lost in Space, well I'll tell you a secret... I wasn't really lost in Space."

The actor pretended that the character might be feeling emotion in a funny accent.

But he's been programmed to not beleive that he has emotion, and he's been programed to reject that he has emotion even as he is experiencing emotion and exhibiting emotion...

Data should have put his foot through Rikers face for lauighing at him when he was learning to whistle.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 05:03 AM   #784
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

What is the smoke monster
Who are the others
What is jacob
What is the hatch?
What do the numbers mean?
Well, obviously the smoke monster is a person... who was sucked into the glowing rectum of the island and turned evil, but who really wants to only get off the island. He can take human form, but instead of using this ability from the beginning thought it would be more fun to appear as L.A. smog and take actions that repeatedly block his chances of escaping the island... like killing the pilot... because he totally likes to be unpredictable.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 06:08 AM   #785
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Smog Monster is explained in the second to last episode.

Is his twitter feed still active?

Old June 25 2012, 10:44 AM   #786
Sysyphyx
Lieutenant

View Sysyphyx's Twitter Profile

l'm still trying to figure out why the polar bears were on the island.
Sysyphyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 11:58 AM   #787
banzaiduck
Lieutenant

Sysyphyx wrote: View Post
l'm still trying to figure out why the polar bears were on the island.
It was explained in some Lost special "webisode" that followed the finale if I recall correctly. The thing of it is, I can't seem to remember what the hell the explanation was.

BANZAI!!!!!!!
banzaiduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 12:09 PM   #788
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

They were shipped there from a DHARMA facility. I can't remember exactly why.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 12:17 PM   #789
roliver
Fleet Captain

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Weyland's desire to meet the aliens, to ask for more life, THAT makes sense....
Actually, even that doesn't make much sense. Prior to the launch of the mission the movie presents no information to even remotely suggest that the beings depicted in the cave paintings are our creators.

Aliens from another world, yes, definitely, but not the slightest scrap or clue that these beings made us and have the ability to prolong human life.

Someone, presumably Shaw, jumps to the conclusion that these aliens created us. She somehow manages to convince others of this, including Weyland. How I don't know, as she has no evidence. I guess she just chose to believe, and Weyland inexplicably chose to believe her.

So perhaps it all makes sense. Weyland was a senile old fool who gathered together a group of clueless idiots on a fool's errand of epic proportions.
roliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 12:41 PM   #790
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Old June 25 2012, 02:02 PM   #791
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Weyland isn't a Senile old fool.

He's doomed.

I'm sure they said something like that his life expectancy was measured in days not months, and as long as he was in cold storage, he was the chairman of the board, till he got back and died minutes later, which pissed Vickers off since the old fart might outlive her, if the ship didn't come back quickly.

Old June 25 2012, 02:03 PM   #792
Disruptor
Commodore

The next film in the series will be a Forbidden Planet remake with the engineers being the Krell and Robbie replaced with Robert, another android.

One thing I thought of, who's to say the Engineers don't eventually succeed in their plans to bomb Earth with the goop? We never visit future Earth itself in the ALIEN movies (ALIENS is on a space station), it's referred to as a "shit hole" in Alien Resurrection. According to General Perez, the xenos were needed for "Urban Pacification". Maybe Earth is full of killer mutants?

It's just common knowledge so no one says it outright in the films. Like the Stormtroopers being clones in the Star Wars universe.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 02:13 PM   #793
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Disruptor wrote: View Post
The next film in the series will be a Forbidden Planet remake with the engineers being the Krell and Robbie replaced with Robert, another android.

One thing I thought of, who's to say the Engineers don't eventually succeed in their plans to bomb Earth with the goop? We never visit future Earth itself in the ALIEN movies (ALIENS is on a space station), it's referred to as a "shit hole" in Alien Resurrection. According to General Perez, the xenos were needed for "Urban Pacification". Maybe Earth is full of killer mutants?

It's just common knowledge so no one says it outright in the films. Like the Stormtroopers being clones in the Star Wars universe.
I think there's an alternative ending to Resurrection where Ripley and the rest of the survivors land on Earth and it's a wasteland.
Old June 25 2012, 03:00 PM   #794
Starkers
Admiral

Shurik wrote: View Post
Disruptor wrote: View Post

I think there's an alternative ending to Resurrection where Ripley and the rest of the survivors land on Earth and it's a wasteland.
Which always made me wonder why everyone was so shit scared of Aliens getting to earth?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 03:29 PM   #795
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Which always made me wonder why everyone was so shit scared of Aliens getting to earth?
Probably one of the reasons it got cut.

I always pictured Earth in Alien universe as a Blade Runner style planet. Polluted, over-populated, dystopic (corporate owned), but still home.