Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 24 2012, 07:29 AM   #151
billcosby
Commodore

Re: The All-New DALLAS!

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
I have a practical question. Is this season 15 (ala Doctor Who), since it's a continuation? 15 assuming the ignoring of the TV movies.
I read a quote from Patrick Duffy (Bobby) somewhere earlier today, something to the effect of "we want the viewer to think that the show's been on the air all these years and the viewer forgot which channel it was on" - or something to that effect. Elsewhere I believe it was referred to unofficially as season 15. That's up to the viewer, maybe.

As long as Duffy and Hangman are in, I'll be watching. It's not really challenging television but a guilty pleasure. That's what resonates with me in comparison to the series of the 80s. I can't recall the two made for TV movies however, something about Sue Ellen ending up with all the riches and ownership to Ewing Oil? It certainly doesn't seem like that in the premiere.

Hopefully Victoria Principal will be roped back into reprising her role. She certainly was a standout in the early episodes. I know her character nearly burned to death but that's hardly a hurdle to creative writers (although I'm sure it would have taken Orci and Kurtzman: the Dream Team several years to sort that one out).

I used to love to hear the cruel (but often creative) things JR would say to his wife. My favorite: "Go to bed Sue Ellen. There's nothing uglier than a woman who can't handle her liquor!"

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 10:30 AM   #152
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

One had Tracy Scroggins lounging about in her sexy sexy underwear, while JR explained all his evil plans to her for exposition... The amazing thing was that JR's scheming was more intriguing than Tracy's 98 percent revealed to the open air bottom.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 04:13 PM   #153
Agent Richard07
Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
I have a practical question. Is this season 15 (ala Doctor Who), since it's a continuation? 15 assuming the ignoring of the TV movies.
I read a quote from Patrick Duffy (Bobby) somewhere earlier today, something to the effect of "we want the viewer to think that the show's been on the air all these years and the viewer forgot which channel it was on" - or something to that effect. Elsewhere I believe it was referred to unofficially as season 15. That's up to the viewer, maybe.
I saw an interview where Duffy said that this is the same Dallas, but it's 2012. He also referred to this season as "season 14". Any "season 15" reference comes from the 5-episode mini series that started it all being retroactively counted as season 1.

I can't recall the two made for TV movies however, something about Sue Ellen ending up with all the riches and ownership to Ewing Oil? It certainly doesn't seem like that in the premiere.
She and Bobby bought Ewing Oil at the end of the first movie. As it turned out, J.R. was manipulating events to get Bobby back into the business (or so he says) and Ewing Oil back into the family, but didn't count on Sue Ellen getting in on the game too.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 05:03 PM   #154
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

wissaboo wrote: View Post
how do we know Jock was the first John?
When John Ross was born he said "John Ross Ewing the Third".

He just went with "Jock" and #2 went with J.R.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
One had Tracy Scroggins lounging about in her sexy sexy underwear, while JR explained all his evil plans to her for exposition... The amazing thing was that JR's scheming was more intriguing than Tracy's 98 percent revealed to the open air bottom.
Speak for yourself
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 08:26 PM   #155
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Crusher Disciple wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Cliff has Robau working for him; JR should just surrender now.
Why? He'll be dead in five minutes.
That's just mean.
This is Dallas, sweetheart. There's no room for sentiment here.
Old June 25 2012, 01:20 AM   #156
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile

Why? He'll be dead in five minutes.
That's just mean.
*cough*Yankee!*cough*
Old June 25 2012, 04:41 AM   #157
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
doubleohfive, thank you so much for all your posts here. Reading your comments is reminding me of so many things I had forgotten about the series, and making me enjoy it that much more.
Thanks. I just finished rewatching most of the series prior to the premiere so a lot of it is fresh in my head.

As I said earlier in the thread, the new series is a continuation much the same way the 2005 Doctor Who revival is to its original predecessor - they acknowledge everything more or less happened in the old show, but will only pinpoint what they really want to reference. (Except, of course, the reunion movies.)

Hopefully Victoria Principal will be roped back into reprising her role. She certainly was a standout in the early episodes. I know her character nearly burned to death but that's hardly a hurdle to creative writers (although I'm sure it would have taken Orci and Kurtzman: the Dream Team several years to sort that one out).
The last time we saw Pam, she made it clear: She was dying. Whether this was the writers way of getting rid of Pam without actually getting rid of her, or just keeping the door open in case Principal wanted to return, it's going to be very interesting to see how the writers bring her back if the current show manages to lock her in.

I used to love to hear the cruel (but often creative) things JR would say to his wife. My favorite: "Go to bed Sue Ellen. There's nothing uglier than a woman who can't handle her liquor!"
True. But some of them could be downright cruel though, like irredeemably so. He was NOT a nice guy to her sometimes! I remember one that still shocks me to this day:

SUE ELLEN: Which slut are you going to be with tonight?
J.R. It doesn't matter, because whoever she is, she's got to be better than the slut I'm lookin' at right now! (i.e. Sue Ellen)

I mean, !

wissaboo wrote: View Post
how do we know Jock was the first John?
Jock was John Ross I.

J.R. is John Ross II.

John Ross is John Ross Ewing III.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I wonder how many Trek actors have appeared in this series over the years...probably dozens, but I can only think of one at the moment (Mary Crosby, i.e. Kristin Shepard, played a Cardassian on DS9).
You would be amazed.

And that list is nowhere near complete. All kinds of people who had bit parts on Dallas went on to have roles on all four of the spinoff Trek series. Some had already been on TOS.

Not Trek-related, but one of my favorites is a 1984 appearance of Dennis Haysbert as Bobby's doctor.

Last edited by doubleohfive; June 25 2012 at 05:40 PM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 09:49 AM   #158
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

That's just mean.
*cough*Yankee!*cough*
I said Dallas, not Dallas.

But I am a Yankee Doodle Dandy.
Old June 25 2012, 06:07 PM   #159
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

As long as Duffy and Hangman are in, I'll be watching. It's not really challenging television but a guilty pleasure. That's what resonates with me in comparison to the series of the 80s. I can't recall the two made for TV movies however, something about Sue Ellen ending up with all the riches and ownership to Ewing Oil? It certainly doesn't seem like that in the premiere.
That's because the new series is ignoring both J.R. Returns and The War of the Ewings, as if they never happened. Kind of like what Star Trek did for a long time regarding the Animated Series.

But, as to the events of the reunion movies, essentially:

Dallas: The War of the Ewings follows up only with Bobby, J.R., Sue Ellen, Carter McKay, and Anita Smithfield and brings back Ray Krebbs. Apart from some follow up on what Ray has been up to since leaving the series, it is mostly forgettable and actually rather awful.
Old June 25 2012, 08:41 PM   #160
ClayinCA
Commodore

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Speak for yourself
Entirely agreed. She was smoking hot back then.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 02:49 AM   #161
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

That reminds me- has Ken Kerchaval been through some recent health issues? He looks pretty frail on the screen. How long has it been since he had lung cancer?
Old June 26 2012, 03:00 AM   #162
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I don't know. I just checked his Wikipedia page and saw this though. It doesn't answer your question, but damn!

In 1985, he [Kercheval] became a partner in the Old Capital Popcorn Company.[1] The business thrived at first but the partnership soured in 1988. The financial issues and other conflicts led to a 1989 armed rampage and suicide by one of the partners on the Dallas set.

Link
Old June 26 2012, 04:24 AM   #163
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I don't know. I just checked his Wikipedia page and saw this though. It doesn't answer your question, but damn!

In 1985, he [Kercheval] became a partner in the Old Capital Popcorn Company.[1] The business thrived at first but the partnership soured in 1988. The financial issues and other conflicts led to a 1989 armed rampage and suicide by one of the partners on the Dallas set.

Link
Tell me about it. I did a WTF when I read that, too.

Poor guy, he just looks so pale and wizened. My mother and I were shocked when we first saw him.
Old June 26 2012, 04:36 AM   #164
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I wonder how many Trek actors have appeared in this series over the years...probably dozens, but I can only think of one at the moment (Mary Crosby, i.e. Kristin Shepard, played a Cardassian on DS9).
You would be amazed.

And that list is nowhere near complete.
D'oh! Can't believe I forgot Joel Grey...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 05:54 PM   #165
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Off the top of my head:

Joel Grey
Brenda Strong
Jerry Hardin
James Cromwell
Kate Mulgrew
Barry Jenner
Glenn Corbett
Morgan Woodward
Barbara Babcock
Susan Howard
Chris Demetral
Lance Le Gault
Leigh McCloskey
John Anderson
John Beck
Ron Canada
Jerry Hardin
Taran Fahir
Rosalind Ingledew/Allen
Sam Anderson
Jerry Hardin
Phillip Anglim
William Windom
Nicholas Coster
Jonathan Harris
Robert O'Reilly
Susan Howard
Mary Crosby
Leigh Taylor Young
Beth Toussaint
Monte Markham
Ray Wise
Gerrit Graham
Michele Scarabelli
Michael Bell
Joey Aresco
Bruce French
Charles Napier
Joanna Miles
Paul Carr
Cliff Potts
K Callan
Kathryn Leigh Scott
Henry Darrow
Joanna Cassidy
Mitchell Ryan
George Coe
John Larroquette
Warren Munson
Charles Cooper
Tricia O'Neill
Biff Yeager
Erich Anderson

...all appeared on a Dallas series or film as well as a Star Trek series or film.

Last edited by doubleohfive; June 26 2012 at 07:02 PM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote