Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 21 2012, 09:25 PM   #4561
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

In Batman Beyond Unlimited 5, we finally get what I presume is the tweek on Terry's origin that was promised, but I think that...

Old June 21 2012, 10:01 PM   #4562
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
in the case of "RIP" and "Knightfall" both of those end with a new Batman
Actually according to the end of the for Batman and Robin arc RIP started with a new Batman then jumped back to the original.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 05:14 AM   #4563
shivkala
Rear Admiral

True, "Batman and Robin will never die!"
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 01:59 PM   #4564
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I've been saying that from the start. I don't get what the point of all this tinkering with Gotham and Bruce's past. I do like the fact that Snyder has been delving more into the city's history, but for me it needs to actually lead somewhere, the reveal from issue ten is a good start, but that can't be the only thing we get out of this.
It sets up a direct opposite foe to Batman INC and a direct foil to Bruce. Instead of a group of vigilantes of Bat themed vigilantes out to change the world, you have a group of owl themed individuals that seeks to preserve an outdated status quo where it's a rule by the elite.

It's pretty different from RIP where it's less of a creation of an ongoing nemesis and more an exercise of peeling away of what makes the Batman what he is when he has no gadgets, no sidekicks and no sanity.

If there is any ongoing theme in Court of Owls, it's not the question of what defines Batman, but what defines Gotham? The Court or Bruce.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 11:16 PM   #4565
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Except that Batman, Inc and "Batman" appear to be completely separate entities. We have Leviathan's forces going against Bruce and Damian in that book, and the Court of Owls against them in "Batman". I very much doubt that Morrison would incorporate the Court into the finale of Inc. I get the thematic conflict between the Court and Bruce, it was apparent in the first issue of the book and going all the way back to Gates of Gotham. The ongoing conflict is control over Gotham City.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 12:10 AM   #4566
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Although I've enjoyed this Court of Owls / Night of the Owls story arc, I'm actually even more interested in seeing how Dick plans to make his own mark in Gotham moving forward, stepping out of the Batman and Bruce Wayne shadows to have his own impact.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 08:53 PM   #4567
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

This is interesting....it appears even George Perez had no idea about what exactly he was supposed to be doing regarding "Superman" and backs up the reputation Grant Morrision has that he does what he wants and doesn't really tell anyone.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/...-at-dc-comics/

Old June 24 2012, 09:27 PM   #4568
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I don't see how this is Morrison's fault, really. The whole story sounds to me like proof that the new 52 was decided very quickly and was never really entirely organized. At all.
Old June 24 2012, 09:37 PM   #4569
the G-man
Commodore

Derishton wrote: View Post
I don't see how this is Morrison's fault, really. The whole story sounds to me like proof that the new 52 was decided very quickly and was never really entirely organized. At all.
How was it supposed to get "organized" if-as Perez claims-Morrison wouldn't work with him or tell him (or anyone else) what he (Morrison) planned to do?
  • I couldn’t do certain things without knowing what he did, and Grant wasn’t telling everybody, so I was kind of stuck,who exists, DC couldn’t give me answers.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 10:17 PM   #4570
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

This is one of the problems that I've had since the relaunch was announced. The claim that this was planned since (October) again that comment from DiDio or was it Lee now? I've forgotten. Either way the things we've heard from the actual writing talent since then makes me think there was no real planning or thought or organization put into the relaunch. They probably had a meeting, talked about specific points they wanted to inject into the relaunch and then decided to do it before reaching out to the creators they wanted to work on whatever books.

I wasn't blaming Morrison...my criticism continues to focus solely on the masterminds behind this relaunch, which seem to be Johns, Lee, and DiDio.

Old June 24 2012, 10:23 PM   #4571
Derishton
Vice Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
How was it supposed to get "organized" if-as Perez claims-Morrison wouldn't work with him or tell him (or anyone else) what he (Morrison) planned to do?
  • I couldn’t do certain things without knowing what he did, and Grant wasn’t telling everybody, so I was kind of stuck,who exists, DC couldn’t give me answers.
It's DC's job to run things if it has a direction in mind. Morrison on Action was a bigger part of whatever plan they had than whoever they put on Superman.

Morrison has been screwed by DC in the recent past, and this situation just feels like more of the same: DC wants to pretend this was long-planned, and as successful as I think it's been, it is clear that it was not planned.
Old June 24 2012, 10:24 PM   #4572
the G-man
Commodore

I think there's plenty of blame to go around: Morrison for not being cooperative with his fellow writers and editorial for lack of planning and a failure to ride herd on Morrison and other "star" writers.

In fact, this has been a complaint I've had with DC (and Marvel) for at least 10-15 years now. Editors are supposed to edit. They're supposed to give constructive criticism and serve as a second set of eyes to make improve the writer's work. However, these days, editors seem to either micromanage the writers or not manage them at all.
Old June 24 2012, 10:27 PM   #4573
Derishton
Vice Admiral

That sounds exactly right to me: the Big Two either need to have a direction that they police, or they loosen the ties and let individual creators do their thing even if it means looser continuity.

I suspect I'm a bigger Morrison fan than you are (maybe?), but he's exactly the sort that needs his own corner to play in. He really should have just been given Earth-33 or Earth-18 or something: the Earth where Batman Inc and Final Crisis and Action could take place, continuity-free.
Old June 24 2012, 10:37 PM   #4574
the G-man
Commodore

I like some Morrison, don't care for other work. Love most of his Superman stuff. Absolutely hate most of his Batman stuff. However, I agree with you that he's at his best when he has his own "universe" to play in.
Old June 24 2012, 11:02 PM   #4575
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm enjoying Action, but "Superman" has been absolutely uninteresting so far. They should have just let Morrison write both books, one in the past, one in the present. At least then there would be consistency (and continuity!).

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote