RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,795
Posts: 5,325,649
Members: 24,548
Currently online: 545
Newest member: wrestlefreak36

TrekToday headlines

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 23 2012, 03:36 PM   #1276
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: Mass Effect 3

Hah, the "best" line from the interview podcast:
Mac Walters wrote:
I think the Extended Cut is really more about taking the things that are there and making them shine even more, rather than trying to change and adapt what's there to reach out to what a broader audience that's looking for something that just was never intended.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 04:21 PM   #1277
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Mass Effect 3

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
Notice that they still refuse to admit the ending sucked. I mean come on, even Weird Al says so! Can they please just admit it so we can all move on?
Yeah, I got about a minute into the podcast before I had to stop because Casey Hudson was saying the same old crap as before. I'd like to imagine that they can't admit to flubbing the ending because it would open them up to legal problems due to not delivering on their promises, because if they still don't understand why the ending is bad then their attempts to fix it will be in vain.
Same here. I'd actually prefer the think that they're bullshitting us because they have no choice because the alternative is that they're idiots and the quality of the rest of the game(s) doesn't support that premise.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 09:33 PM   #1278
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: Mass Effect 3

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Hah, the "best" line from the interview podcast:
Mac Walters wrote:
I think the Extended Cut is really more about taking the things that are there and making them shine even more, rather than trying to change and adapt what's there to reach out to what a broader audience that's looking for something that just was never intended.
I don't know, I don't think Hudson and Walters really believe the crap they're saying. I think they're just toeing the company line because they have to. I mean, there's a point where it stops being stubbornness and becomes denial.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 01:19 AM   #1279
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Mass Effect 3

^ I can't help but wonder if there's a degree of denial on our part in this. Is it possible we just really don't *want* to believe that they really are blind to what most of us see as an obviously flawed ending?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 03:39 AM   #1280
LeadHead
Director of Comedy
 
LeadHead's Avatar
 
Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2
Re: Mass Effect 3

I think that given how high an opinion we all seem to have of the series in general, the fact that they do not acknowledge the utter horrific patheticness of the ending is a major suspension of disbelief.
__________________
Thanks to Nerys Myk for my awesome avatar!

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 04:53 AM   #1281
Jono
Rear Admiral
 
Jono's Avatar
 
Location: Australia
Re: Mass Effect 3

Well, my readiness is at 50%, so that probably means I have to play multiplayer again, which I was hoping I could avoid.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 08:37 AM   #1282
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Mass Effect 3

^According to this very vague and somewhat confusing statement, it sounds like they have altered the EMS thresholds to make it easier to get the so-called "optimum" ending. Now that might just mean they've lowered the requirement for not burning Earth to a crisp and/or unlocking the synthesis path. It might also mean they fiddled with the numbers somehow to make it possible to get the "N7 breath scene" without boosting the EMS.

If it's the former it won't affect me since in my playthough I already achieved those and if it's the latter...well that probably won't matter either since my EMS is sat around the 80-90% mark. That plus I'm in the midst of replaying my main Shepard.

Not so much for the ending DLC but because I encountered a few glitches in my first playthough that meant I didn't complete several side missions properly. I couldn't care less about the various fetch quests, but I kinda want the Kasumi, Aria and Conrad missions done properly, even knowing it probably won't make a difference.

[EDIT]
Mike Gamble to the rescue.

Last edited by Reverend; June 24 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 12:12 PM   #1283
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: Mass Effect 3

In other words, if you have a pretty comprehensive SP playthrough (like most of you probably do) - you don't need to spend the weekend battling it out in MP to raise your EMS.
Oh, thank goodness. I let my Xbox Live Gold subscription lapse, so I haven't touched MP in months.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 03:27 PM   #1284
Jono
Rear Admiral
 
Jono's Avatar
 
Location: Australia
Re: Mass Effect 3

^That is indeed good to hear/read.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 03:31 PM   #1285
Steven
Admiral
 
Steven's Avatar
 
Location: Winnipeg
Re: Mass Effect 3

Reverend wrote: View Post
^According to this very vague and somewhat confusing statement, it sounds like they have altered the EMS thresholds to make it easier to get the so-called "optimum" ending. Now that might just mean they've lowered the requirement for not burning Earth to a crisp and/or unlocking the synthesis path. It might also mean they fiddled with the numbers somehow to make it possible to get the "N7 breath scene" without boosting the EMS.

If it's the former it won't affect me since in my playthough I already achieved those and if it's the latter...well that probably won't matter either since my EMS is sat around the 80-90% mark. That plus I'm in the midst of replaying my main Shepard.

Not so much for the ending DLC but because I encountered a few glitches in my first playthough that meant I didn't complete several side missions properly. I couldn't care less about the various fetch quests, but I kinda want the Kasumi, Aria and Conrad missions done properly, even knowing it probably won't make a difference.

[EDIT]
Mike Gamble to the rescue.
Heh, read the posts after that one. Several people call them out on the EMS adjustment since they (apparently) said that all the content would be accessible through the single-player alone when the game was first released. Except that it wasn't (*).

The revised/enhanced/whatever ending is just going to be one piece of the fun. The internet reaction will be the other piece.

* I actually did tally up all the war assets to try and figure out the best possible total. I think I got a total in the range of 3700 to 3800 after the 50% penalty. Which is just short of the "N7 breath scene".
__________________
Niners aren't linear, we're everywhere!

Last edited by Steven; June 24 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 03:59 PM   #1286
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Mass Effect 3

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I don't know, I don't think Hudson and Walters really believe the crap they're saying. I think they're just toeing the company line because they have to. I mean, there's a point where it stops being stubbornness and becomes denial.
But you have to keep in mind that this was their ending, they may have been forced to rush certain elements of it but they thought that the star child, the organic/synthetic conflict, synthesis, the destruction of the relays, and the crash on the jungle planet were the best way to end the story. There's a whole host of problems in that last ten minutes and they either didn't notice them or they didn't feel the need to address them. There's no reason to believe that they're capable or willing to see those problems now.

That being said, I remain optimistic that the extended cut will be "good enough".
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 07:29 PM   #1287
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Mass Effect 3

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If they have Liara with my Shepard's little blue children, I'll be happy. I don't care what else happens.

Last edited by Reverend; June 24 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 07:55 PM   #1288
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Mass Effect 3

Reverend wrote: View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If they have Liara with my Shepard's little blue children, I'll be happy. I don't care what else happens.
Yeah as long as I have the ability to get a some what happy ending if I play my cards right like in Mass Effect 2 I'll be happy.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 09:21 AM   #1289
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral
 
firehawk12's Avatar
 
Location: EXILE + ATTON = GUUUUUUSH!!!! (pic by aimo)
Re: Mass Effect 3

Reverend wrote: View Post
Guh. Just give a number. Why are they being so coy with this anyway?
__________________
The best reason to watch Curling:
Johnson Sisters!

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 03:30 PM   #1290
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Mass Effect 3

Reverend wrote: View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If they have Liara with my Shepard's little blue children, I'll be happy. I don't care what else happens.
But if the rumours are true and the only way to achieve that ending is to kill off the Geth, what will you do then?
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
auto dialogue, bioware, mass effect, mass effect 2, mass effect 3

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.