RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 924
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 17 2012, 11:15 PM   #31
chevron
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: New UK (& Other?) Partwork - Official Star Trek Starship Collectio

I've just discovered this news tonight by accident via 8of5's website. I'm fairly sure that it is a trial in one part of the country but that hasn't stopped me subscribing.

I seem to remember subscribing to the similar star wars ship collection while it was a trial. There came a point where there were very long waits between issues when the magazine went nationwide in order to 'sync' up.
chevron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2012, 04:21 AM   #32
Mr. Domino
Lieutenant

Does anyone know what material the ship models are made from? The previous Eaglemoss DC and Marvel collections were all something like Pewter I believe, which would certainly beat the hell out of most Trek models if these were that way as well.
Mr. Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2012, 04:41 PM   #33
chevron
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mr. Domino wrote: View Post
Does anyone know what material the ship models are made from? The previous Eaglemoss DC and Marvel collections were all something like Pewter I believe, which would certainly beat the hell out of most Trek models if these were that way as well.
The website said ABS. I had to look that up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylon...adiene_styrene

Now I want to read up on molecular chemistry!

PS I got an email confirming my subscription today. I think I'm subscriber number 136.
Old June 20 2012, 02:49 AM   #34
Mr. Domino
Lieutenant

Hmm...knowing that, I'd really like to get my hands on one before fully committing (which, sadly, is not possible since I'm a damn yank). While I'm not specifically familiar with ABS, I've never liked Styrene for models - extremely light and brittle stuff.
Mr. Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 12:53 PM   #35
Trek Survivor
Captain

Hmm...knowing that, I'd really like to get my hands on one before fully committing (which, sadly, is not possible since I'm a damn yank). While I'm not specifically familiar with ABS, I've never liked Styrene for models - extremely light and brittle stuff.
I own issue #1 - and seem to be the only person in the country! - I'm no expert on material, but the model feels pretty weighty. I cannot rate it highly enough, it looks really good. I was in Swindon (where I picked up #1) yesterday but didn't have time to pop to Smiths to see if #2 was in.
Old June 20 2012, 01:23 PM   #36
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Trek Survivor wrote: View Post
I own issue #1 - and seem to be the only person in the country! - I'm no expert on material, but the model feels pretty weighty. I cannot rate it highly enough, it looks really good. I was in Swindon (where I picked up #1) yesterday but didn't have time to pop to Smiths to see if #2 was in.
I've just been and asked in Smith's in Bath. Turns out it's a regional thing at the moment but not by actual Smith's regions (as Bath is in the same one as Swindon) but by distribution region so Bath doesn't have it.

So yeah, the publishers are testing the water and the bloke in Bath said it's testing till issue five, after that, fingers crossed it'll roll out nationwide.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 01:40 PM   #37
Starkers
Admiral

Trek Survivor, you need to go and buy some more issues

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 05:41 PM   #38
SicOne
Commodore

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
I live in the US, so I sadly can't get in on this offer... which is a shame really, because I have disposible income for the first time in many years and have always wanted some nice Star Trek Ship Models to replace the Joy I had from the Mirco Machines Days.

I recaptured some of that fun with the DieCast BSG ships... never did get them all though, bugger all they were hard to find.
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Technobuilder wrote: View Post
I have disposible income for the first time in many years and have always wanted some nice Star Trek Ship Models to replace the Joy I had from the Mirco Machines Days.
Hero Clix ships?:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i...eroclix&page=1
Technobuilder, I too still have many of the older MicroMachines as well. A few years back, some outfit called Johnny Lightning put out a handful of Trek ships, of which I found only 2:Voyager and the modified-Enterprise-D from "All Good Things". I have yet to see any more of the Johnny Lightning ships, but I haven't looked too hard for them. They're about "6" long or so. The Titanium Series of BSG ships were pretty good as well, heavily detailed. Do you happen to know if they produced a larger Pegasus, like they did with an "8" or "9" Galactica?

Therin, the HeroClix ships went fairly quickly. I don't know how much they're going for on eBay, but I did see only one of them in person, the Defiant. It was somewhat out of proportion, a little skinnier and longer and with less depth than I expected the ship to have. And IIRC the nacelles were parallel with the hull rather than tapering back like we know the ship to be.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 02:29 AM   #39
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

SicOne wrote: View Post
the HeroClix ships went fairly quickly.
Well, according to the link I provided, many are still in stock at Amazon.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 10:40 PM   #40
MacLeod
Admiral

Still awaiting my first delivery of the ships, just under the 21 days I have to allow for delivery
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 08:01 PM   #41
chevron
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm just past 21 days since subscribing and nothing yet.
Old July 18 2012, 08:57 PM   #42
chevron
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any subscribers got anything yet?
Old July 20 2012, 02:41 PM   #43
MacLeod
Admiral

Well I haven't, despite being told it's on it's way.

Just got off the phone with them again for the third time.

They've been having issues with stock availabilty or so they say, and it should be with me next week or within a fortnight at the latest.

I gave them some feedback that perhaps they should have sent out an e-mail to customers saying they were having stock issues. To avoid phone calls etc.. They guy I spoke to said he would feed it back.

If they are having stock problems it would tend to indicate that it has been more succesful than they thought it would be.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old July 23 2012, 06:31 PM   #44
chevron
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just received number 3 today, the bird of prey. There was a short letter to say they are out of stock of issues 1 and 2 due to 'overwhelming popularity'. I might take some photos and put them on my website. If I do I'll post the link here.
Old July 23 2012, 07:28 PM   #45
MacLeod
Admiral

I also receieved Issue 3 today, along with the same letter.

From what I know, I believe it is was in the shops in the South West (Bristol area), know with the power of social media perhaps word spread and people outside of the initial launch area subscribed. Pushing up the expected number of subscribers.

Though as partworks are often trailed in one region before a national rollout perhaps in the next few months it'll launch nationally as the demand appears to be thre.