Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 23 2012, 04:44 AM   #736
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Very true, still, the underlining point with Brad was that he liked the movie in spite of its flaws.
By making a snarky video that doesn't address those flaws, and in fact paints those that have pointed out those flaws as "nitpickers"?

I guess I shouldn't care that much, he sounds like a douche anyway...

Maybe that guy living in his basement and I should get together and make a movie about Brad....
Old June 23 2012, 09:20 AM   #737
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Beautiful looking movie, but hack script with terrible characters written by an idiot who continues to get a job in Hollywood for his ability to confuse audiences into thinking what he writes must be deep and good, when in the end, the audience is just stupid.
Exactly how I feel about the whole thing.
Old June 23 2012, 09:53 AM   #738
Warped9
Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
when in the end, the audience is just stupid.
Thanking for clarifying my stupidity. I wasn't sure.

I'd like to go on, but words fail me. Must be another example of my stupidity.
Old June 23 2012, 10:18 AM   #739
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post

The real question is, why is it that you think the author of the quote was talking to *you*?
Old June 23 2012, 10:37 AM   #740
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Beautiful looking movie, but hack script with terrible characters written by an idiot who continues to get a job in Hollywood for his ability to confuse audiences into thinking what he writes must be deep and good, when in the end, the audience is just stupid.
I wasn't a fan of Prometheus, but that doesn't make people stupid for enjoying it or being okay with the lack of explanation for many of the events in the film. What I personally see as poor scriptwriting and direction, others might see as a deliberate choice to leave things vague and mysterious for the sequel(s). The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 10:49 AM   #741
Pauln6
Commodore

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I wasn't a fan of Prometheus, but that doesn't make people stupid for enjoying it or being okay with the lack of explanation for many of the events in the film. What I personally see as poor scriptwriting and direction, others might see as a deliberate choice to leave things vague and mysterious for the sequel(s). The truth probably lies
somewhere in the middle.
Reluctantly, I agree. I enjoyed te movie but I'm disappointed that so many people are so willing to overlook its very obvious flaws and give it a big thumbs up. But I think it very much depends on what expectations you went in with. I have hugely enjoyed some horrendously schlocky movies because I accepted them for what they were. I can overlook about a third of Star Wars' flaws on the basis that it is a franchise for children but I lament some of the elements of Trek 09 that moved it further from what TOS (at its best) used to be and closer to being a franchise for children. I was disappointed in Prometheus because I thought it was an opportunity to move the Alien universe franchise away from the recent schlocky AvP style movies and back towards something deeper, creepier, and scarier. On that score, it failed miserably unfortunately.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 11:09 AM   #742
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post

The real question is, why is it that you think the author of the quote was talking to *you*?
Because he saw the movie thus making him "the audience."
Old June 23 2012, 11:16 AM   #743
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Because he saw the movie thus making him "the audience."
Holy shit, did I just quote a guy that called both himself and ME stupid?

BTW, most LOST fans I met (I mean the ones who stuck with the show to the bitter end, and still ferociously defend it) did strike me as pretty stupid, I must admit.

This being said, Damon Lindelof is a hack, a douche and an idiot. IMHO, of course.
Old June 23 2012, 11:57 AM   #744
Sysyphyx
Lieutenant

View Sysyphyx's Twitter Profile

Big LOST fan here, but l don't think l'm stupid (my mommy used to tell me l was a smart boy). Anyhoo, at least with LOST Lindelof and the other writers of the show gave us enough information to draw some of our own conclusions concerning the mysteries of the island. The only real mystery in Prometheus is why there are so many gaping plot holes.
Sysyphyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 12:26 PM   #745
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Sysyphyx wrote: View Post
Big LOST fan here, but l don't think l'm stupid (my mommy used to tell me l was a smart boy). Anyhoo, at least with LOST Lindelof and the other writers of the show gave us enough information to draw some of our own conclusions concerning the mysteries of the island.
I think that's the main issue The Internet has with Lindelof. "I'll just throw shit in, and you make your own damn conclusions".

Anyway, seeing how many fanboys went suicidal after that finale, I'm glad I gave up on Lost after two seasons.

But I must admit, the show had it's allure at first. It really did. It just didn't feel like it was going anywhere. The mysteries all felt so... Random and... I don't know, it was just a mess.
Old June 23 2012, 01:18 PM   #746
Sysyphyx
Lieutenant

View Sysyphyx's Twitter Profile

Sysyphyx wrote: View Post
Big LOST fan here, but l don't think l'm stupid (my mommy used to tell me l was a smart boy). Anyhoo, at least with LOST Lindelof and the other writers of the show gave us enough information to draw some of our own conclusions concerning the mysteries of the island.
I think that's the main issue The Internet has with Lindelof. "I'll just throw shit in, and you make your own damn conclusions".

Anyway, seeing how many fanboys went suicidal after that finale, I'm glad I gave up on Lost after two seasons.

But I must admit, the show had it's allure at first. It really did. It just didn't feel like it was going anywhere. The mysteries all felt so... Random and... I don't know, it was just a mess.
l was one those who stuck with the show through thick and thin, and although it kept me glued to my seat with anticipation for most of those six years, l felt the finale was a total cop-out. l still believe Lindelof and the others had dug themselves so deep into a hole, there was no way to get out.

I LOVE the show, but HATED the finale...almost as much as l hate Prometheus.
Sysyphyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 01:47 PM   #747
Warped9
Admiral

I know and am friends with quite a few people who like things I don't like and vice versa. I certainly don't think they're stupid even if I can't personally fathom some of their tastes. And they don't seem to think I'm stupid either.

Alien has become something of a classic and I, too, love the film, but it really isn't a deep movie. Someone can project all sorts of things into a film, things that aren't really there or weren't put there intentionally by the filmmaker.

Alien is basically a '50's "scary monster" flick that works because it's well crafted, but it really isn't any deeper than that. Sometimes a story is just a story without deeper aspirations no matter how polished and smartly crafted it is.

I care nothing for the Transformer movies or any number of other flicks that have been popular even as I know people who have liked those films. I don't think of them as stupid. I wasn't much impressed by Avatar even though I know people who loved it. I loathe ST09 even though I know folks who liked it... Okay, that last one is a touchy subject but I still won't call those people stupid.
Old June 23 2012, 02:11 PM   #748
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Alien is by no means a deep movie. Prometheus, however, started off as an ambitious, intelligent, plot-driven sci-fi. And then, at some point, all traces of intelligence just evaporated and the movie turned into a dumb syfy horror flick.

It was like watching 2001 for about half an hour, than suddenly switching to The Thing.

The visuals and the music are phenomenal, but they simply cannot redeem the terrible writing.
Old June 23 2012, 02:54 PM   #749
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

I'm with you there. I watched the show religiously through the first and second seasons. When they got to the third season, the other island, and the reveal that The Others aren't a mysterious group beyond our comprehension, but hippies living on the other side of the island in a condo village out in the middle of nowhere... that made me realize the writers really had no plan or even a clue where the show was going.

Ultimately that proved to be right. I guess that is where Prometheus fans and Lost fans have something in common. Fans of Lost are able to forgive the show's meandering plot and lack of focus because they love the characters, the setting, or the atmosphere enough to find enjoyment despite the show's flaws.

I'm able to find enjoyment in Prometheus despite the movie's flaws because I loved the atmosphere, the setting, and a few of the characters. I have no personal gripe against Lindolf, even though the interview posted earlier does make him sound like a rather whiney douche. However, I am a huge fan of Ridley Scott, and I applaud his effort to flesh out some of the unanswered questions from the first Alien film.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 03:06 PM   #750
Wereghost
Commodore

Here's a "fan-made" Prometheus training video :