TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 22 2012, 01:49 AM   #826
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I was buying her last ongoing but seems it was a year or so ahead of the love that she now enjoys.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 06:59 AM   #827
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Next weeks Marvel releases...
Small week for me. just FF, Hit-Girl and possibly X-Men: Legacy.
Old June 22 2012, 12:37 PM   #828
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

So how are Marvel AND Dynamite both doing John Carter books?
Old June 22 2012, 12:40 PM   #829
Mr Light
Admiral

I think the copyright expires after 75 years?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 12:43 PM   #830
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Public Domain.

Tarzan too.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 07:50 PM   #831
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

what Guy Gardener said. several of the John Carter and Tarzan books are public domain in the US. though the Marvel comics are authorized and endorsed by the Burroughs estate.
Saga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 08:00 PM   #832
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
That fast huh? Essentially the life span of the creator. You'd think there would be a way to push back and extend that. So why then wouldn't say Mickey Mouse be in the Public Domain? Or some Golden Age Comic characters including Superman, Batman and Captain America.

Read Punisher #12 - I really liked this issue, despite a few pages of non dialogue with the Frank/Rachel fight. What sold it for me was it showed me two things. 1. Frank really would like a partner in his war. He doesn't want to really be alone. Rachel as a Marine and woman fills the roles quite nicely. 2. Rachel has what it takes. Not only could she land blows on Frank but could take and bounce back from the punishment he dealt out. As he points out to her though she needs to hone her mental state if she is going to fully commit to the war. Does her war extend past taking down The Exchange(the group that killed her husband and wedding party). I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Avenging Spider-man #8: I'm not actively reading the Spiderbooks so my question is this: Is Silver Sable really dead? If so what are the apparent loop holes. Like other characters she'll be back some way, some how--it's why I'm not too worked up about it. Comic deaths have for sometime lost their shock value over the last decade.
Old June 22 2012, 09:15 PM   #833
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

it's 70 (the number varies from state to state and around the world)years after the death of it's creator(exceptions can apply.). Mickey Mouse can be treated as a trade mark which falls under different rules and remains the property of Disney forever so long as the trademark stays in use.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 09:29 PM   #834
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

the copyright for the first give Martian/Barsoom novels has expired in the US but is still valid in the UK. the copyright for Tarzan expired but not the trademark. it seems complicated. even more so, as the Burroughs estate plans to sue Dynamite over some of these issues.
Saga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 11:04 PM   #835
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

@Captain Craig...it's implied at the end of the Avenging #8 that Silver could still be alive, but yes at least for now it appears she could be dead. She was "killed" by Rhino in the final part of Ends of the Earth.

Let's see, Marvel picks next week:

-Amazing Spider-Man #688
-FF#19
-Hit-Girl #1
-Incredible Hulk#10
-Spider-Men #2
-X-Men #31
-X-Men Legacy #269 ( Ms. Marvel....Rouge...FIGHT!!!)

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 12:07 AM   #836
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I'm not actively reading the Spiderbooks so my question is this: Is Silver Sable really dead? If so what are the apparent loop holes. Like other characters she'll be back some way, some how--it's why I'm not too worked up about it. Comic deaths have for sometime lost their shock value over the last decade.
Probably not. In the final issue of the "Ends of the Earth" story arc in Amazing, Spidey was forced to leave her behind because Rhino had grabbed hold of her, refusing to budge from where he was standing even as the room was filling with water. If he hadn't left Sable, Spidey wouldn't have been able to stop Doc Ock's satellites from frying the planet.

The way the apparent death was handled in both that issue and this epilogue in Avenging, however, wasn't for shock value at all but rather to see what it means to Spidey, especially in light of his "no one dies when I'm around" rule.

Also, for what it's worth, I only recently jumped back into comics, so the "Ends of the Earth" story arc was my first introduction to Slott's work on Spidey and he definitely has the character down. If you're a fan of the character, Amazing is worth your time and money (the only issues of Avenging I've read were this one and the one that tied into Daredevil's "Omega Effect" story arc). If I suddenly needed to drop every Marvel comic I'm reading for whatever reason, Amazing Spider-Man is the one title that I'd still try to find the money for (though I'm also quite enjoying Journey into Mystery - so thanks to Turtletrekker for championing that one in this thread, prompting me to try it out!).
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 02:42 AM   #837
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
(though I'm also quite enjoying Journey into Mystery - so thanks to Turtletrekker for championing that one in this thread, prompting me to try it out!).
Yay! And you're welcome!

Last edited by Turtletrekker; June 23 2012 at 06:38 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 02:46 AM   #838
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Journey into Mystery I've heard wide praise from...not just here, but my friends who have read it. I might finally pick it up and take the plunge!

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 05:15 AM   #839
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^ Not that I want to do anything that might scare away a new Journey into Mystery convert, but be warned that after the "Manchester Gods" arc, JiM will be entering a nine-part crossover with Fraction's Mighty Thor called "Everything Burns".
Old June 24 2012, 08:47 PM   #840
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Ed Brubaker to leave Captain America after issue 19. He will stay with Winter Soldier for "as long as I can".

After leaving Cap, he will spend more time concentrating on creator-owned material.