Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 22 2012, 06:27 PM   #721
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Could a slighlty poor US book office taking be down the later relase date and to word of mouth about the quality/issues of the film from places like the UK.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 06:47 PM   #722
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Could a slighlty poor US book office taking be down the later relase date and to word of mouth about the quality/issues of the film from places like the UK.
That might have played a role in convincing some less enthusiastic fans to wait for DVD, but probably not a huge number. Likewise, there were bootleg versions of the film out on the net because of the staggered release that might have hurt the box office a bit, but I still think most people want to see a big spectacle film like this in the theaters.

I was determined to see it because it was Ridley Scott doing scifi and revisiting the Alien universe again, regardless of some poor reviews by some of our British (and other foreign) posters whose opinions I trust. And it was still worth seeing it even with the unfortunate sucktitude of the story.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 06:55 PM   #723
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

TremblingBluStar wrote: View Post
^

Brad Jones, an Internet critic who gave Prometheus a glowing review recently re-reviewed the movie after reading all of the negative reactions online.

I like how he addresses the real criticisms of the movie....

I think I've watched that guy before... his voice just DRIPS with condescension. Can't stand him.
Old June 22 2012, 07:34 PM   #724
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I think I've watched that guy before... his voice just DRIPS with condescension. Can't stand him.
Really? He has a deep voice, but condescension? Not seeing it.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 08:44 PM   #725
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

You mean, other than him and the others condescending to people who have criticized Prometheus (and not for the petty reasons they satirically bring up) being the entire point of that video?
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 09:04 PM   #726
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Disruptor wrote: View Post

I was wondering about the big the red space suits that were in the background of at least one scene.
Those remind me very much of some armored deep sea suits designed to survive extreme pressure. I seem to remember NASA studying them for possible use in situations where astronauts would have to do exterior repair work in micro meteor showers. I believe they have two layers of armor. The first armor layer would slow a micro meteor while the second was supposed to stop it.
Old June 22 2012, 09:12 PM   #727
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

He's usually most like that when he puts on the "Cinema Snob" persona, the Midnight Reviews are just Brad not playing a character so the condescension in his voice isn't as pronounced.
Old June 22 2012, 10:20 PM   #728
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

It is really annoying when people end sentences with a preposition. It's like, why can't you just say "come with me"?
Old June 22 2012, 10:43 PM   #729
sonak
Vice Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
You mean, other than him and the others condescending to people who have criticized Prometheus (and not for the petty reasons they satirically bring up) being the entire point of that video?

yeah, what exactly was the point of that other than to say "if you criticize this movie, you are a petty, nitpicking, loser fanboy?"

Why not bring up points that were serious criticisms? That would have been too much effort?
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 11:16 PM   #730
Maurice
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
My thoughts on this were that the Engineers represented Humanity's evolutionary future. Perhaps a few million years ago, the Engineers looked much like us. Overtime, however, they grew larger, lost their hair, and turned grey. Maybe that's where we're headed. Humans have been getting taller over the centuries.
I realize this post is some days old, but contrary to popular belief humans as a species have not been gradually getting taller over time. It's mostly a recent (~150 year) phenomenon tied mostly to childhood nutrition affecting reaching growth potential.

...First, the observed increase in height has not been continuous since the dawn of man; it began sometime around the middle of the nineteenth century. In fact, examinations of skeletons show no significant differences in height from the stone age through the early 1800s. Also, during World Wars I and II, when hunger was a frequent companion of the German civilian population, the heights of the children actually declined. They only recovered during the post-war years....

...Second, the trend toward increasing height has largely leveled off, suggesting that there is an upper limit to height beyond which our genes are not equipped to take us, regardless of environmental improvements...

Scientific American, "Why Are We Getting Taller As a Species?"
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 11:35 PM   #731
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Well, it is TOUGH to SEE condescension. You have to LISTEN for it.

(See what I did there?)
Old June 23 2012, 02:27 AM   #732
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

Ah, but if you are criticizing the movie for valid reasons, don't sweat it. The video was more poking fun at people who did go nuts and bash the film for silly reasons.

In the end, people just need to learn to laugh at themselves.

Well, it is TOUGH to SEE condescension. You have to LISTEN for it.

(See what I did there?)
Very clever.

Either way, other than when he does the Cinema Snob (a character), I'm not hearing any condescension in his voice. His normal midnight reviews are him simply stating whether he likes or dislikes a particular film and discussing why. He doesn't normally make fun of people who hold a different view.

Spoony, on the other hand, a reviewer that I enjoy a great deal, gets rather condescending in the "if you like this film you are brain dead" sort of way.

Here is a video I found earlier from a guy who really dislikes Brad Jones, who quote possibly does actually live in his mom's basement from the looks of it.

His video has five views so far... two of which were from me.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 03:39 AM   #733
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post

yeah, what exactly was the point of that other than to say "if you criticize this movie, you are a petty, nitpicking, loser fanboy?"

Why not bring up points that were serious criticisms? That would have been too much effort?

Mostly because that wasn't the point, they enjoyed the movie in spite of the nitpicks and such. Which, yeah, they all came to me in the days after watching the movie and seeing what others said on it, but I still really liked it.
Old June 23 2012, 04:14 AM   #734
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

Mostly because that wasn't the point, they enjoyed the movie in spite of the nitpicks and such. Which, yeah, they all came to me in the days after watching the movie and seeing what others said on it, but I still really liked it.
Sorry, but I don't think my problems with the movie were "nitpicks." Deeply stupid characters are not "nitpicks."
Old June 23 2012, 04:23 AM   #735
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Very true, still, the underlining point with Brad was that he liked the movie in spite of its flaws.