Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 17 2012, 12:36 AM   #256
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Those who are trade waiting or are planning on getting the hardcover for "Avengers Vs X-Men" might be interested in this. Seems like Marvel is loading up. As the link states, it will contain issues 0-12 of Avengers Vs X-Men, issues 1-6 of AVX, Avengers Vs X-Men Infinite Comics# 1, 6, and 9(I assume this is the digital stuff) along with Point One Material. Note the price. It's 85 bucks in Canada. Both discounted right now. This is one huge trade.

http://www.amazon.com/Avengers-X-Men...ngers+Vs+X-Men

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 02:54 PM   #257
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Out today, Avengers Vs. X-Men #6:
Jonathan Hickman joins superstar artist Olivier Coipel (SIEGE) to launch Act Two of the biggest Marvel event of the year!
What is Pax Utopia?
The Phoenix has come to Earth, and everything changes...
And the Scarlet Witch enters the fray!
After five issues of waiting for the Phoenix to arrive, it's finally here and within the bodies of five X-Men -- Cyclops, Emma Frost, Namor, Magik, and Colossus -- after Hope rejected it.

And...

This issue is actually good.

Oh, it's not without its problems, which I'll discuss momentarily, but AVX #6 actually does something interesting that puts us in Warren Ellis territory.

But that's not without its problems.

Which leads us back to the title of the comic -- Avengers Vs. X-Men. Because, of course, we have to have at least one sequence in the comic that supports that very simple concept.

And it does justify the last line of the comic. If Act One is the consequences of Cyclops crossing the line from reason to madness, Act Two is going to be the consequence of Captain America's own misjudgment.

I mentioned that the issue has a significant problem, and it's this.

Avengers Vs. X-Men #6 breaks the playground toys in a way that will be very difficult to fix.

Final thought.

As I said, I liked this issue. I think it's the best of the issues thus far, though I don't care a great deal for Coipel's artwork (his characters have a tendency to look a little squat).

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 05:41 PM   #258
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Haven't read the issue yet, but from reading your review it seems my theory that Scott will either be killed or become a villain at the end of this thing seems more credible. Unless they explain he was under the influence of the Phoenix or something and not responsible for his actions. Although if the rumors are true and Bendis will be writing Uncanny this fall...would he want a Scott-less book? Or are we going to see a totally new direction for the Utopia folks? The ending of this has been hard to predict.

Old June 20 2012, 06:08 PM   #259
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Haven't read the issue yet, but from reading your review it seems my theory that Scott will either be killed or become a villain at the end of this thing seems more credible. Unless they explain he was under the influence of the Phoenix or something and not responsible for his actions.
There's enough evidence just in issue #5 to support the contention that Scott is "under the influence of the Phoenix." He and the other four all speak of their non-Phoenix-ed selves as other people. There does seem to be a greater integration of personality with the Phoenix force in issue #6, but there's also a several week gap between issues #5 and #6 in which that developed.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 08:12 PM   #260
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus

i actually enjoyed all the AvX comics this week. confused as to when the story in New Avengers takes place though. and finally, Scarlet Witch comes into play. been waiting for that.
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 09:33 PM   #261
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Finally. A decent issue. Hickman!!! I actually enjoyed this issue, first one from the series that I have. Was nice to see Charles again. They must have forgot that Charles has been on Utopia before. He was there I believe in the X-Men: Schism Prelude when Scott was contemplating his decision on what to do prior to the Sentinel strike. We finally know now what the No More Avengers teaser seems to be about. This is just heating up. Hell...I liked pissed off Phoenix Summers. Maybe it was because Hickman was writing. I like the Olivier art. He's been the best artist so far on this book, also finally....Wanda enters the picture.

Old June 21 2012, 12:05 AM   #262
Aldo
Admiral

I'm reading the Trade of Avenger's Assemble and I've come to really like The Scarlet Witch. So I'm eager to see how she's handled in this mini.

As an aside, I'm bummed that she's owned by Fox, cause I'd love to see her show up in a MCU film.
Old June 21 2012, 12:12 AM   #263
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

There was an article earlier in the year stating that it seems that both Fox and Marvel Studios can use Pietro and Wanda.

You should also know (if you're not aware) that this is something of a return for Wanda...she really returned in the Avengers Crusade story that finally finished just before Avengers Vs X-Men started.

Old June 21 2012, 01:32 AM   #264
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Haven't read the issue yet, but from reading your review it seems my theory that Scott will either be killed or become a villain at the end of this thing seems more credible.
There has been some foreshadowing that Scott might die. In WaTXM, he said to Wolverine something to the effect of, "I'll lead my people to the promised land even if it's denied to me."
Old June 21 2012, 01:56 AM   #265
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
I'm reading the Trade of Avenger's Assemble and I've come to really like The Scarlet Witch. So I'm eager to see how she's handled in this mini.
Is that the one by Busiek?

I have get some bad news, but
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 04:17 AM   #266
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I really enjoyed this issue. I have to say it was pretty epic, worthy of a Marvel event. They should let Hickman write the entire series and not let Fraction and Bendis stink it up any longer.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 05:27 AM   #267
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Well, things are finally getting interesting. I don't see this ending well for the X-Men or Cyclops in particular. Now that we have reached the second part of the story, it seems like the entire first act could have been done in two or maybe three issues rather than five, but that's par for the course these days. I haven't been a big fan of Hank McCoy since he left the X-Men, but find it appropriate that he is the first to realize that both sides are off their rockers and walk away.

New Avengers 27 was interesting. Wrapping up (?) the story of Fonji, the Phoenix host from hundreds of years ago, and segueing into the modern day with Hope in K'un L'un with Iron Fist and Yu Ti. No explanation is given for how Hope wound up there when last we saw her was in Wanda's care, but it was an interesting issue. The revelation that Spider-Man is the one who needs to train Hope for what's to come was an interesting twist and Bendis gave Hope and Peter some interesting (non-romantic) chemistry together.

Avengers Academy 32 was OK. Other than their appearances in AA, I am totally unfamiliar with Juston and his sentinel, so it was hard for me to care when Emma showed up to slag it. Emma-Phoenix seemed rather reasonable about re-programming the sentinel until Juston's rather strange declaration of love for the thing caused Laura to attack Emma. While I liked the previous arc involving the Generation Hope/New X-Men kids, this arc is starting out a little flat. I'll be glad when AA moves past AvX and into the "Final Exam" arc.

Uncanny X-Men 14 was intriguing. Mr. Sinister has always been a "meh" kind of villain for the most part, but I enjoy Gillen's take on the character. Dustin Weaver's art was incredible and makes me even more anxious for Marvel to finally release the final two issues of SHIELD. Sinister's plan to take on the Phoenix Five is ingenious. How better to take on five Phoenix hosts than with six clones of THE Phoenix host, Jean Grey (AKA "Madelynes")?

Last edited by Turtletrekker; June 22 2012 at 12:23 PM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 11:13 AM   #268
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

As foreshadowed in Uncanny X-Men 3.
Old June 22 2012, 12:07 PM   #269
Mr Light
Admiral

I wish they hadn't jumped the story forward from the end of 5 to the opening of 6. I feel like there was another important issue in there. The Avengers' reaction to the Phoenix Five, trying to attack them at first and being utterly defeated, the Phoenix Fives' first humanitarian actions...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 06:43 PM   #270
Aldo
Admiral

I really enjoyed this one as well. I do wish they tried to tell a more compelling story earlier, rather than just having fanboyish mash-ups, but there you go. I think this is the first time where I'm genuinely eager to see what happens in the next issue.