Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 22 2012, 03:48 AM   #706
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

RAMA wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
FLOP!!!!
Hmmm...It's already the highest grossing Aliens movie ever. It made $100 million in 13 days, and $227 million worldwide..budget: $130 million.

If the plot really is as convoluted as I linked above, it's kind of amazing the movie did this well...

RAMA
I was kidding and parodying a former poster in the spirit of the posts above that one, in particular one pointing out how terrible the movie is and claiming he was the only one in his theater.
Old June 22 2012, 03:51 AM   #707
RAMA
Vice Admiral

FLOP!!!!
Hmmm...It's already the highest grossing Aliens movie ever. It made $100 million in 13 days, and $227 million worldwide..budget: $130 million.

If the plot really is as convoluted as I linked above, it's kind of amazing the movie did this well...

RAMA
I was kidding and parodying a former poster in the spirit of the posts above that one, in particular one pointing out how terrible the movie is and claiming he was the only one in his theater.
Ah, I just read of that poster after posting...why do people get such pleasure out of saying they paid money then left the theater? I'll never figure that one out.

Last edited by RAMA; June 22 2012 at 04:01 AM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 03:55 AM   #708
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I think I've only really walked out of a couple of movies ever the last one being when I was in high school.
Old June 22 2012, 04:00 AM   #709
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Sysyphyx wrote: View Post
The fact of the matter is that Ridley Scott and the writers were afraid of offending Christians with the whole "Space Jesus" thing. When the time came to do what needed to be done to make this movie profound, they pussied out. And now what we have is a bland, lackluster film, instead of the speculative masterpiece it should have been.
Space Jesus is neither profound nor original. It's just stupid. The movie wouldn't have suddenly become a masterpiece had they dared to tread where a thousand hacks have tread before.

It struck me that this alien culture(s) was highly ritualistic and obsessed with icons and symbology. While some of the speculation might be unfounded as it's not directly stated in the movie, I wouldn't be surprised if they take a bolder step in making it more directly tied into mythology in the next movie.
Old June 22 2012, 07:34 AM   #710
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

It struck me that this alien culture(s) was highly ritualistic and obsessed with icons and symbology. While some of the speculation might be unfounded as it's not directly stated in the movie, I wouldn't be surprised if they take a bolder step in making it more directly tied into mythology in the next movie.
You misunderstand. I'm not questioning that Ridley Scott considered the Space Jesus story angle. He said himself that that was the original idea for why the Engineers turned on humanity 2,000 years ago (and I posted his quote on the matter earlier). I'm simply saying that the Space Jesus idea itself is neither profound, original, or particularly interesting.
Old June 22 2012, 03:02 PM   #711
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

I think I've only really walked out of a couple of movies ever the last one being when I was in high school.
I was forced to walk out of a film that had brief nudity when I was a child by a friend's parent, but have never voluntarily walked out of a movie I paid to see. But then, I usually go with friends I can make fun of the movie with if need be.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 03:14 PM   #712
Starkers
Admiral

Never ever walked out of a film.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Disruptor wrote: View Post
Regarding Weyland. One thing I realized was Miss Vickers' line to David asking "Did anyone die?" She really was asking, "Did Peter Weyland die?"
Which really begs the question.... why was she THERE? If she wanted to control the company, you know, assume the throne, wouldn't him LEAVING be the perfect time to do that?

Instead she left on a 5 year (?) voyage to some remote planet, while OTHERS were running her Daddy's company... a perfect time for THEM to stage a coup.

Vickers.... as dumb as the rest of the characters.
One of many things in the film that makes no sense. Of course perhaps she genuinely worried for her father, perhaps she wanted him to be proud of her so she tagged along to get the validation she craved, maybe Weyland made her go (hard to see how, or in fact why he'd do this). We aren't given even a smidgen of evidence for any of these things in the film however. Vikers is there...well for some reason?

"God! Whose hand was I holding?"
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 04:00 PM   #713
Disruptor
Commodore

She wasn't made to go, didn't she say she didn't want to hang around and squabble over who had control of the company? I assume Vickers is there for more allegory. Weyland's rejection of his flesh and blood for his synethic "son" David. His refusal to die and let his offspring flourish (which is crap, IMHO, because if you can't be your own person without your parent dying, then that's on you, not them.)

I was wondering about the big the red space suits that were in the background of at least one scene.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 04:12 PM   #714
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
You misunderstand. I'm not questioning that Ridley Scott considered the Space Jesus story angle. He said himself that that was the original idea for why the Engineers turned on humanity 2,000 years ago (and I posted his quote on the matter earlier). I'm simply saying that the Space Jesus idea itself is neither profound, original, or particularly interesting.
No, I don't think it's profound, and I've seen it used in SF before, however, I do find the way they melded it into the story interesting...its a case of damned if they do (from the theists) damned if they don't (Well they didn't SAY that in the movie--that's you Rojo)...so they took the middle road...I'm just hoping if they posit this, then they follow through, at least that would be bolder. Personally, the Persian myths link sounds more interesting to me as a story.

Edit: Its alo possible RIdley wanted to leave his options open, so he could go in any mythological direction he chose in the sequel..we'll see. Quite frankly, I'll take Prometheus over any Michael Bay movie...

RAMA
Old June 22 2012, 04:19 PM   #715
sonak
Vice Admiral

TremblingBluStar wrote: View Post
I was forced to walk out of a film that had brief nudity when I was a child by a friend's parent, but have never voluntarily walked out of a movie I paid to see. But then, I usually go with friends I can make fun of the movie with if need be.

that's the hilariously WRONG reaction from her. You'd think dragging a kid out because he saw some boobs or butt would only make it a bigger deal in his mind. Had she just ignored it, you as a kid would probably not have made a big deal about it.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 05:05 PM   #716
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Quite frankly, I'll take Prometheus over any Michael Bay movie...
We'll need a limbo champion to squeeze under a bar set that low. Maybe Fifield can spider-walk beneath it if he doesn't get lost on the way there.
Old June 22 2012, 05:09 PM   #717
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

^
If I recall correctly, the film was Ice Pirates. I haven't seen the movie since then, but I remember it being quite adult, and now wonder what possessed her to take children to see it.

Brad Jones, an Internet critic who gave Prometheus a glowing review recently re-reviewed the movie after reading all of the negative reactions online.

TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 05:47 PM   #718
MacLeod
Admiral

Well the current total of US$227m is not exactly high, but about enough to turn a profit.

Though it's done fairly well in the UK alone which accounts for about 20% of the International Box office at ~US$31m. (which allowing for population differenaces would be equate to ~US$135m)
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 05:59 PM   #719
Roshi's bone
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roshi's bone

@TremblingBluStar: ^Fucking brilliant!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Roshi's bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 06:23 PM   #720
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Quite frankly, I'll take Prometheus over any Michael Bay movie...

RAMA
Sure. If that was the ONLY two choices. Thank Zeus, it isn't.