Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old June 18 2012, 10:22 PM   #826
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Ship Polaris

Finished off most of the hull detailing on the back half of the main fuselage:

And, at long last, WINDOWS!

Note that not all of the windows have been modeled yet.

Something else worth noting is that I froze and optimized a number sub-D objects, which reduced the overall poly count by more than 25,000, even with the addition of the windows and other hull details. Current count stands at a little over 441,000 and my goal is to keep the end result under 500,000.
Old June 18 2012, 10:24 PM   #827
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

^ Well, that's just beautiful.
Old June 19 2012, 01:47 AM   #828
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Beautiful.
Old June 19 2012, 09:44 PM   #829
Vektor
Rear Admiral

So, after the last round of modeling updates, I was playing around with different rendering techniques and some texturing ideas, just because I can't resist doing that. I was using my standard panel map hull texture and it dawned on me, now that the windows are in place, that the dense overlapping panel look is all wrong for the scale of this ship. I got curious what it would look like if I just shaded the modeled hull sections with some slight variation from one to the next. I wound up using 4 different materials applied more or less randomly, each with its own procedural noise map set to a unique phase. This was the result:

I haven't textured every individual hull section yet because it takes a fair amount of work, and of course there are no markings or other colors, but I think the basic look works pretty darn well. I'm not doing the actual texturing for the model but I will be doing some paintovers to show what the texturing will look like, and this is just some experimentation to work that out. The final version would have some more localized wear and tear, maybe some finer and subtler panel lines, and more detail in general.

From a nominal viewing distance, though, I think this works.

Opinions?
Old June 20 2012, 02:05 AM   #830
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

I much prefer this to the kitchen floor tile look of most spaceship textures. What's the point in making a ship out of plates 4 feet across?
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 02:23 AM   #831
Albertese
Commodore

Hear, hear.

This lends itself to a feeling of functionality that I think "random panels" don't portray. I always wonder why anyone would build something that way also. I like the panels to appear as though if you removed them, there would be some logic underlying them to why they are cut to that particular shape and attached in that particular manner.

This looks much more believable to my eye. I can't wait to see the whole thing given this treatment.

--Alex
Old June 20 2012, 03:34 AM   #832
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Maurice wrote: View Post
I much prefer this to the kitchen floor tile look of most spaceship textures. What's the point in making a ship out of plates 4 feet across?
I just don't see the point in rendering a model so that the planes/polys it is actually made up of are smoothed out of existence, only to then apply a texture to make that now smooth surface look like it's made out of individual polygonal plates anyway. WTF? Seems that the more realistic approach to "plating" a model, would be by subtly varying the materials properties of individual polys, (or groups of polys) to accentuate them, rather than trying to hide them.
Old June 20 2012, 04:19 AM   #833
Vektor
Rear Admiral

With rare exceptions, modeled polygons don't look like physical plates unless you go to the considerable extra effort of modeling seams between them, rivets or other visual cues that are much more easily accomplished with textures. Even if you're just doing some subtle shading differences, it's usually easier to do it with textures. On Polaris for example, I don't think there's a single panel line that just happened to fall along an existing set of edges in the 3D geometry. The only reason I didn't use regular mapped textures is because I already had the modeled panel lines and because UV unwrapping this thing is not gonna be a task for the faint of heart.
Old June 20 2012, 06:09 AM   #834
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Can we see that with the nice dirty metal texture you used at one point on the engine bits?

My only critique on this would be to perhaps try turning down the procedural overlay a bit and/or throw another one on top at a different scale. Right now the 'cloud' shapes are pretty obvious if you know what you're looking at. Other than that I am really digging the look. The gloss looks a bit high (or perhaps the bump/normal is a bit low) on one of the materials, but the overall look is pretty convincing as a "fresh off the assembly line" vessel before painting and the like. Would make perfect sense to me that the shell of the ship would be made of large segments over the top of the nuts and bolts, or that the hull panels would be coated and sealed to no longer be visible as individual plates.

Overall just fantastic.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 04:14 PM   #835
Vektor
Rear Admiral

What I'm doing here is just experimenting with the overall look, I'm not actually texturing the model. This is in preparation for some paintovers I plan to do as a guide to the people who will be doing the texturing.

I agree the gloss is probably a bit high, especially for animation. What looks good in stills often winds up to be overly shiny and distracting in motion. Also, the materials used to accomplish that effect come with some pretty high rendering overhead and glossy reflections may not be used at all in the end product, especially since they don't add much in a realistic space environment. That work will be done in Lightwave, which I assume has similar capabilities but probably at similar cost in render time.
Old June 20 2012, 04:19 PM   #836
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'm not planning to do a lot of panels in texturing, for all the reasons discussed above.

I'd love to find someone who's really experienced with texturing to do this, like Treybor over at Foundation3D. He put together a really good tutorial based on his Serenity model.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 04:33 PM   #837
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I might have a couple of people in mind. Let me put out some feelers.
Old June 20 2012, 06:25 PM   #838
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Thanks.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 02:09 AM   #839
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

Saw this today, it's concept art from the movie Minority Reports. The artist is James Clyne and you can see his other stuff here: http://www.jamesclyne.com/

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 06:11 AM   #840
BK613
Captain

After a while, one runs out of superlatives to described Vektor's Polaris.