Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 21 2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

I'm surprised no one has started a thread on this. Season 7 of Futurama premiered today with not one, but two episodes! Two wonderful episodes!

The Bots and the Bees:

Ignoring how Bender doesn't know about robot babies or robot sex prior to the conception of Ben, this was a classic Futurama episode. It was both a funny and poignant episode that adds another layer to Bender's character. I hope we see Ben again in the future.

A Farewell to Arms:

I'm a sucker for the end of the world episodes (Hermes: "Is it just me, or is the world ending more often these days?") so it's no surprise I loved this. The Leela/Fry romance gets more development with a touching ending and a new twist to the Hemingway title.

This reminds me, I still need to get Volumes 5 & 6 on DVD.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Disruptor
Commodore

Re: Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

They were okay episodes. (Spoilers)

The literal reset button in the first one just seem pat for a show. If they replace Ben's memory card with a bending card, shouldn't he be near mindless like Bender was when the bureaucrat stole his personality chip? "I am Bender. Please insert girder."

"A Farewell to Arms": So what happens to Mars now? And funny "arms" is an anagram of "Mars". Wonder if that was intentional? I'd guess so.

Strangely both episodes had Fry turning colors.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 02:51 PM   #3
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Heh, I didn't even notice "arms" was an anagram for "Mars." If intentional, then that's two different alternate takes on the title.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Christopher
Writer

Both okay episodes, nothing spectacular. The longer this show goes on, the more it plays fast and loose with past continuity. In previous episodes, Bender didn't have a mother and father; he was built in a factory, and his mother -- every robot's mother -- was Mom. And Mom is a dictator who intentionally programmed her robots to adore her as their mother and creator. There's no way she'd tolerate a robot design that would allow them to procreate independently and feel filial affection toward any mother figure besides Mom herself. So while "The Bots and the Bees" had some cute gags in it, I just don't really feel it fits in the Futurama universe.

"A Farewell to Arms" was also kinda fun but a little too silly and overdone. It feels like the show is stretching more to come up with plots.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 03:30 PM   #5
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

Quick question: I recorded them but haven't watched them yet. Are they two episodes back to back (with credits, etc) or two episodes played together as one long episode?
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

^The end credits for the first episode were showed at the bottom of the screen during the beginning of the second episode, so they overlapped a bit. But that's pretty common practice for a lot of cable stations even for totally unconnected shows.

Old June 21 2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I remember having to adjust my DVY to -+5 minutes because of Futurama last season.

It kept starting early.

I enjoyed both episodes last night. Glad it's back baby.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 07:19 PM   #8
The Green Mushroom
Commander

I liked both episodes, but the whole baby thing came out of nowhere. Was there ever any possible shred of a hint that robots came from anywhere but Mom's factory? I would have bought this in the first season, but not the seventh.

Though on the bright side, it does explain why they have child robots running around all over the place.
The Green Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

The Green Mushroom wrote: View Post
Though on the bright side, it does explain why they have child robots running around all over the place.
Except that Ben took only 13 days to grow into an adolescent, but Tinny Tim has been a "child" for over a decade. This episode pretty much threw all the old rules about robots out the door.

Old June 21 2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Disruptor
Commodore

Interesting points.

Robot procreation may not have been designed by nor desired by Mom. But perhaps "artificial life finds a way."

Tinny Tim may have been created to look like that perpetually.

Speaking of time passing, next time we see Cubert, the Professor's clone, he should be physically an adult. I also noticed they didn't show Hermes' son in his brief scene at home.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

^Well, yeah, but that should've also been true in Cubert and Dwight's appearances in the movies and the previous season, but they were still stuck in perpetual preadolescence even though it was explicitly 8-9 years after we first saw them.

Old June 21 2012, 08:09 PM   #12
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Yikes! Missed it.
Old June 21 2012, 08:30 PM   #13
JD
Admiral

I missed the last few minutes of Farewell to Arms, but I thought both episodes were pretty good.
I do that The Bots and The Bees treatment of "the bots and the bees", was a little odd. I thought in the past they'd treated robots as if they were all made in a factory and always looked the same.
Old June 21 2012, 11:30 PM   #14
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
^The end credits for the first episode were showed at the bottom of the screen during the beginning of the second episode, so they overlapped a bit. But that's pretty common practice for a lot of cable stations even for totally unconnected shows.
Really? TV now shows the end credits of one show at the bottom of the start of the next show?? I quit watching broadcast TV after ENTERPRISE ended, so I'm behind a little. Since then, every new (or old) show I've seen has been on DVD, a wonderful invention, in my opinion, and hearing this just reaffirms my viewpoint.

I guess I'll being seeing this new season of FUTURAMA this Christmas when the DVD comes out, just like the last two years....
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 01:07 AM   #15
Christopher
Writer

RandyS wrote: View Post
Really? TV now shows the end credits of one show at the bottom of the start of the next show??
As I said, it's a practice employed by some cable networks. Cartoon Network is one, TNT is another. Maybe I overstated how common it is. The majority of networks (the ones I watch, anyway) do it differently, showing a promo during the end credits.