RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,724
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 838
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 21 2012, 03:22 PM   #691
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Sysyphyx wrote: View Post
The fact of the matter is that Ridley Scott and the writers were afraid of offending Christians with the whole "Space Jesus" thing. When the time came to do what needed to be done to make this movie profound, they pussied out. .
Yep sounds like "Kingdom of Heaven". I'll wait for definitive director's cut to judge the movie.
Old June 21 2012, 03:51 PM   #692
Sysyphyx
Lieutenant

View Sysyphyx's Twitter Profile

Yminale wrote: View Post
The fact of the matter is that Ridley Scott and the writers were afraid of offending Christians with the whole "Space Jesus" thing. When the time came to do what needed to be done to make this movie profound, they pussied out. .
Yep sounds like "Kingdom of Heaven". I'll wait for definitive director's cut to judge the movie.
l don't think any sort of extended cut can save it. No matter how much footage is put back in, the Engineers will still be humanoid instead of the biomechanical monstrosities that were insinuated in Alien. The characters will still be morons and the dialogue will still be lame.

l'm not saying l won't buy the extended blu-ray when it comes out, l' just saying that, when l do, l'll probably have this look on my face>>>
Sysyphyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 04:25 PM   #693
Ometiklan
Commander

My take on it (having seen the movie a second time now), is that the movie being more on-the-nose about the cause of the Engineer's wrath was a consequence of earlier (and poorer) drafts but was deliberately moved away from for a bigger purpose than just feeling too on-the-nose or the rather silly claim that they were afraid of offending anyone. I think that watching the movie, it is clear that they "reason" for their wrath cannot be definitively assumed from anything, including Ridley's comments. I think it has to be considered still open ended; once they decided to set the movie up for a sequel, they explicitly have Shaw going off to get the answer. David even says that it is not important, but Shaw says it is to her because she is human and he is just a robot. So at this point it isn't Space Jesus (but it still could be in the future). So in summary, I don't think they intend for the audience to understand it yet, nor do they expect you to have to read outside material to understand this part. I think it is unanswered on purpose.

Apparently there is a whole conversation between David and the last Engineer that was cut from the film, maybe they discuss some of this there?

Also apparently there is a fight scene between the Engineer and Shaw (with the axe) on the life boat that they cut because they thought it was too unbelievable compared to him easily killing the other crew earlier, but I would like to see that fight in the deleted scenes.
Ometiklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 05:13 PM   #694
Disruptor
Commodore

roliver wrote: View Post

Except that Prometheus IS a mindless popcorn action (horror) flick. It has no depth.

The whole idea that the Engineers decided to destroy humanity because we crucified space jesus doesn't make sense. They didn't like our violent nature so they plan genocide on a planetary scale?
They were also pissed off because humanity learned civilization from the violent Predators (whole stole and misused the xenomorphs) instead of following the Engineer's plan or developing it on our own.

It's amusingly easy to tie AvP into a movie that wanted to distance itself from that film. Peter learns of Charles Bishop Weyland's expedition knows there's intelligent alien life connected to humanity...after all, who'dfund a trillion dollar expedition based on just cave paintings/engravings?

Regarding Weyland. One thing I realized was Miss Vickers' line to David asking "Did anyone die?" She really was asking, "Did Peter Weyland die?"
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 05:38 PM   #695
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Disruptor wrote: View Post
Regarding Weyland. One thing I realized was Miss Vickers' line to David asking "Did anyone die?" She really was asking, "Did Peter Weyland die?"
Which really begs the question.... why was she THERE? If she wanted to control the company, you know, assume the throne, wouldn't him LEAVING be the perfect time to do that?

Instead she left on a 5 year (?) voyage to some remote planet, while OTHERS were running her Daddy's company... a perfect time for THEM to stage a coup.

Vickers.... as dumb as the rest of the characters.
Old June 21 2012, 06:10 PM   #696
davejames
Vice Admiral

Huh, it's funny. After 30 years we finally get a prequel to Alien directed by freakin Ridley Scott-- which I actually enjoyed-- and after 2 weeks I'm already over it and ready to focus on the next summer movie.

Never thought that would happen. Lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 06:15 PM   #697
xortex
Commodore

It was interesting seeing the guy from bad robot picking his teeth with Ridley Scott's bones of course. Reminds of how they treated GR and TNG. Did I mention I walked out on it and was the only one in the theater anyway?
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 06:33 PM   #698
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

xortex wrote: View Post
Did I mention I walked out on it and was the only one in the theater anyway?
Yes. You did.
Old June 21 2012, 08:02 PM   #699
sonak
Vice Admiral

xortex wrote: View Post
It was interesting seeing the guy from bad robot picking his teeth with Ridley Scott's bones of course. Reminds of how they treated GR and TNG. Did I mention I walked out on it and was the only one in the theater anyway?

How big was the theater? I'm surprised they'd start a movie for one person.
sonak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 08:15 PM   #700
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

I've been in when there's only been me and a friend there and the film played. 250 seater screen I believe that particular one was.
Old June 21 2012, 08:23 PM   #701
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I think I've been the only person in a showing before. I remember seeing Sicko near the end of its run, it was around 6pm. I thought there was a guy sat behind a few rows behind me but at the end of the film I think it was just someone who worked there catching it too
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 10:22 PM   #702
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

The fact of the matter is that Ridley Scott and the writers were afraid of offending Christians with the whole "Space Jesus" thing. When the time came to do what needed to be done to make this movie profound, they pussied out. And now what we have is a bland, lackluster film, instead of the speculative masterpiece it should have been.
Space Jesus is neither profound nor original. It's just stupid. The movie wouldn't have suddenly become a masterpiece had they dared to tread where a thousand hacks have tread before.

The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 12:02 AM   #703
Nightowl1701
Commander

According to Dr. Anil Biltoo of the University of London (the fellow seen early in the film giving David his language lesson), THIS is exactly what David said to the Engineer at Weyland's request:

ida hmanm a kya namrrtuh zdtaha. gwhivah-pyorn-ttham sas daatrr kredah.
This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life.

The Engineers' language, as seen in the film, is Biltoo's own reconstruction of the Proto-Indo-European language. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-I...opean_language

So David DID deliver Weyland's message, with no ulterior motive. It was simply the wrong question to ask. "He chose...poorly."

Here's the article I got this from: http://thebioscopist.com/2012/06/20/...-the-engineer/
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 12:24 AM   #704
Nightowl1701
Commander

Also, apparently there were two versions of the Zombie Fifield scene shot - one as we saw in the film (with practical effects and the actual actor), the other with clean plates and a CGI Fifield intended who would have been MUCH closer to the bug we all love and fear:

http://cdn.chud.com/4/44/44852290_1340148988581.jpeg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...og3o1_1280.jpg

Oh, and we wouldn't have seen the last of Millburn after that second trip to the alien ship/temple, either:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...r99o1_1280.jpg
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 03:38 AM   #705
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Interesting...

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/comm...ums/topic/7436

This was taken from a comment I saw on another site, and I did a little research and everything seems to check out! :

To give some historical/mythological background that may shed some light, Ridley stated the SJ culture was based on Persian Myths. This would be Sumerian/Akkadian/Hindu. This is all taken from the Atra Hasis.

Creators - "G"ods- Annunaki - Dragon Humanoids (Naga, Dragon Kings,)

Helpers - "g"ods - Igigi - Engineers. (Android like living beings....BIOmechanical humanoid. Key features- Pale skin and large black eyes. Also known as watchers, Grigori, and Archons) (in many summerian texts they are actually referred to as "Pilots". Pretty much the Annunaki Air Force.)

When the Annunaki began terraforming the earth, they had the Igigi do the work for them. After a few thousand years the Igigi revolted and went on strike. The Annunaki then decided to create humans to do the work for them.

They sacrificed one of the rebel Igigi named Geshtu to use his blood and dna to make human beings, by mixing it with elements native to the earth.

(In the movie, this can be explained by the the different oval spaceship at the beginning representing the spaceship of the Annunaki)

(It can also be explained by the concept art that leaked from the official book this week)....
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...theus-20120614

So lots of mythology wrapped up in science fiction. Wonder how much of this will be expounded upon in the sequel..

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
FLOP!!!!
Hmmm...It's already the highest grossing Aliens movie ever. It made $100 million in 13 days, and $227 million worldwide..budget: $130 million.

If the plot really is as convoluted as I linked above, it's kind of amazing the movie did this well...

RAMA