RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 431
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 20 2012, 10:26 PM   #676
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Yeah, I got the 2000-years ago bit, but at what point are we supposed to infer that Jesus was a human-looking alien hybrid? I don't remember anything like that being mentioned, and frankly, it feels like a pretty big leap.

And on the third day, a xenomorph named Jesus burst forth from human Jesus's corpse. It descended into the rainforest and hid there for 2000 years until a Predator came to hunt it. The Predator succeeded. Unfortunately, Arnold Schwarzenegger came and blew him up.
Since this came from Scott's own words and addresses this very subject, I'm putting this in spoiler code. From one of many sources that say the same thing:
The only on-screen allusion to this was the 2,000-year reference.

My own personal speculation on the connection between Jesus and the xenomorph: Since we pretty much know that the xenomorph comes from contact of the black goo with corrupted beings, perhaps the crucifixion of Jesus was the ultimate symbolic act of corruption for our race as a whole. Perhaps this was the "true" origin of the concept of original sin - a sin that we all must bear as a species, even though nobody who was there who either saw or perpetrated the act is still alive any more.
Old June 20 2012, 10:28 PM   #677
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, sorry, but if it doesn't actually happen in the movie, it doesn't count for me. I shouldn't have to look up secondary sources to understand what's going on.
Old June 20 2012, 10:32 PM   #678
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

That's the beauty of it, RoJo. Guessing.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 10:33 PM   #679
RoJoHen
Awesome

Guessing can be fun, but in this case it just makes me groan.

"What did we do 2000 years ago to make the Engineers mad?"
"Oh, we killed Space Jesus!"

Old June 20 2012, 10:35 PM   #680
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Well, at least it's kind-of different than what we usually see in mindless popcorn action flicks. Gotta give him a little credit for at least trying a different slant to an old story.

I also happen to be a fan of Ancient Alien Theory and I guess I give this film a little more latitude due to my admitted bias.
Old June 20 2012, 10:39 PM   #681
RoJoHen
Awesome

And I think it would have been better if the movie had actually attempted to fill in some of these answers. I'm fine with some mystery left at the end, but this movie leaves too much. And when you think about it and actually figure out the answer to the question "Why are they mad?" the answer "We killed Space Jesus" just feels...well...really stupid.

If you can't be profound, don't try. I'd rather watch a Michael Bay movie.
Old June 20 2012, 10:44 PM   #682
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

It's all in the delivery. If this is, in fact, what the story is about, I'm going to wait to see how it's played out. It's also entirely possible that the whole thing is a marketing feint, to generate interest in the sequels he's producing, and give us something entirely different, like some ancient culture mysteriously disappearing 2000 years ago or something. The Incas and Anasazi are a little too recent for that, but there may be other, more innocuous, occurrences in history that he could use. Maybe the Mayans, or something out of India like the Mahabharata. The crucifixion seems almost too convenient, but who the hell knows?
Old June 21 2012, 01:13 AM   #683
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

xortex wrote: View Post
Walked out half way through. Bullshit sellout ripoff. Told you so.
You hate everything. Not surprising.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 01:15 AM   #684
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

FLOP!!!!
Old June 21 2012, 01:20 AM   #685
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Well, at least it's kind-of different than what we usually see in mindless popcorn action flicks. Gotta give him a little credit for at least trying a different slant to an old story.
Not if it's not in the movie. Do you get credit for things you don't put in a school paper? Just things you were thinking about?

I understand the desire to make this movie more than it was (a popcorn movie with equally pop science) but if it aint in the movie, it aint in the movie.
Old June 21 2012, 02:27 AM   #686
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Jesus was a real human person.
According to some scholars, he wasn't even that - he was just a fictional character created as an amalgam of various characteristics common to mythologized precursor messianic figures who appeared in the centuries preceding his era. We could call him a reboot.
Old June 21 2012, 03:49 AM   #687
sonak
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I got the 2000-years ago bit, but at what point are we supposed to infer that Jesus was a human-looking alien hybrid? I don't remember anything like that being mentioned, and frankly, it feels like a pretty big leap.

And on the third day, a xenomorph named Jesus burst forth from human Jesus's corpse. It descended into the rainforest and hid there for 2000 years until a Predator came to hunt it. The Predator succeeded. Unfortunately, Arnold Schwarzenegger came and blew him up.
Since this came from Scott's own words and addresses this very subject, I'm putting this in spoiler code. From one of many sources that say the same thing:
The only on-screen allusion to this was the 2,000-year reference.

My own personal speculation on the connection between Jesus and the xenomorph: Since we pretty much know that the xenomorph comes from contact of the black goo with corrupted beings, perhaps the crucifixion of Jesus was the ultimate symbolic act of corruption for our race as a whole. Perhaps this was the "true" origin of the concept of original sin - a sin that we all must bear as a species, even though nobody who was there who either saw or perpetrated the act is still alive any more.

um, wow. That is REALLY stupid.

(uh, to clarify, I don't mean your post or analysis, just Scott's explanation.)
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 07:11 AM   #688
Saul
Rear Admiral

I also happen to be a fan of Ancient Alien Theory and I guess I give this film a little more latitude due to my admitted bias.
I'd rather he'd stick with either Greek Mythology or Christian Religion rather than having these engineers representing all Gods. I'm starting to get Stargate-SG1 vibes here.
Old June 21 2012, 11:39 AM   #689
roliver
Fleet Captain

Well, at least it's kind-of different than what we usually see in mindless popcorn action flicks.
Except that Prometheus IS a mindless popcorn action (horror) flick. It has no depth.

The whole idea that the Engineers decided to destroy humanity because we crucified space jesus doesn't make sense. They didn't like our violent nature so they plan genocide on a planetary scale?
roliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 11:53 AM   #690
Sysyphyx
Lieutenant

View Sysyphyx's Twitter Profile

The fact of the matter is that Ridley Scott and the writers were afraid of offending Christians with the whole "Space Jesus" thing. When the time came to do what needed to be done to make this movie profound, they pussied out. And now what we have is a bland, lackluster film, instead of the speculative masterpiece it should have been.

l don't even want any sequels. They had their chance to pick their balls up off the floor and they blew it.
Sysyphyx is offline   Reply With Quote