RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,207
Posts: 5,346,576
Members: 24,606
Currently online: 566
Newest member: keykarta

TrekToday headlines

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 19 2012, 10:03 AM   #1936
Rocketeer
Captain
 
Rocketeer's Avatar
 
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Bird of Prey wrote: View Post

There are special DOFF assignments that you can get from your Science officer on your ship (visit your bridge and go to the science lab). You can turn in data samples for 250 dilithium and particle traces for 500 dilithium. Each of these mission require about 20 of each type of sample.

Wow, thanks for reminding me to check interior locations for DOFF assignments.

Will dilithium be used in the Starbase construction? I have a small (very small) stash.
.
__________________
Doc Lee - Fed Sci / Rocketeer - Fed Engr / Garlyk - KDF Tac

Considering FEDCON 23 in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 1 Jun 2014
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2012, 01:27 PM   #1937
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME
 
Squiggy's Avatar
 
Location: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

michael@houseguydc
__________________
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!
Squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2012, 03:49 PM   #1938
Xhiandra
Lieutenant Commander
 
Xhiandra's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

I'm at a bit of a loss over the conflicting info this game gives sometimes:
Weapons are listed with a DPV value and a DPS value.
From these, it's easy to determine their delay (DPS/DPV=T(s)):
- Turrets: .75s.
- Arrays : 1.25s.
- Cannons: .75s.
- Torpedoes: from 6.5s to 60s, depending on type.
- DBBs: 1.25s.
- DCs: .75s.
- DHCs: 1.5s. (twice the delay of DCs for twice the damage)

Nevermind, silly me made a silly mistake. Leaving the delays because it's handy to have a list like that for calculations.

Example, added damage from [Borg] procs:

Photon Torp: 1000 DPV; 1000/6.5=~153.85 DPS.
Quantum/Plasma Torp: 1000 DPV; 1000/8.5=~117.65 DPS.
Turrets, Cannons, DCs: 7.5*1000/100=75 DPV; 75/.75=100 DPS.
Chroniton/Transphasic Torp: 1000 DPV; 1000/10.5=~95.24 DPS.
Arrays, DBBs: 7.5*1000/100=75 DPV; 75/1.25=60 DPS.
DHCs: 7.5*1000/100=75 DPV; 75/1.5=50 DPS.
Tricobalt Torp: 1000 DPV; 1000/60=~16.67 DPS.

Last edited by Xhiandra; June 20 2012 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Oops.
Xhiandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 01:59 PM   #1939
MikeS
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Liverpool, UK
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Playing the STFs on the weekend is dicey, at best. Amateur hour...
This kind of comment annoys me. We all have to start somewhere. There is alot to learn in this game and I have only been playing sporadically for a few weeks reaching Lieutenant Commander and receiving a Constitution II in the process.

This is the reason I've steered clear of interacting with "Fleet missions" yet.

We that have real lives to lead with work and family to fill our weeks bow down to your superior gamesmanship.
__________________
One day soon, man is going to be able to harness incredible energies, energies that could ultimately hurl us to other worlds in... some sort of spaceship.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 02:57 PM   #1940
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Well they changed the website and forced Cryptic and Perfect World account integration and apparently everything has gone to hell.

You can't even get C-points right now.

On the bright side my Gold account looks way better than a silver account right now
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 05:17 PM   #1941
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

MikeS wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
Playing the STFs on the weekend is dicey, at best. Amateur hour...
This kind of comment annoys me. We all have to start somewhere. There is alot to learn in this game and I have only been playing sporadically for a few weeks reaching Lieutenant Commander and receiving a Constitution II in the process.

This is the reason I've steered clear of interacting with "Fleet missions" yet.

We that have real lives to lead with work and family to fill our weeks bow down to your superior gamesmanship.
Feel free to be annoyed, but it wasn't directed at you. It was directed at those that jump into the Elite STFs on the weekend, to the point where (compared to the usual crowd on a weeknight) the average ability of the players goes down.

Has nothing to do with learning curve, or the 'bowing down to ability' strawman you're putting together. I've got a job, a wife, other committments just like everyone else, and am hardly a hardcore gamer. I HAVE run the STFs a couple hundred times (at least) over the past couple years, though.

Just seems that on the weekend, you get more people in the Elite STFs that aren't equipped right for it, haven't even played the NORMAL mode enough to understand the objectives, actively won't listen to the plan or participate in the chat channel, AFKs, or generally doesn't help out. If in the chat, we all agree to start on the left, don't go right and then start swearing in the chat, or not responding at all, failing it for all of us. I probably wasn't the most help my first couple runs, but by starting in Normal mode, learning how to do it, gearing up, and listening to people explain strategy, I got better. And then moved to Elite. With F2P, we've gotten more people doing that almost exactly backwards, and essentially just joining one of these to farm for gear (it's totally random, not based on score within the event, so just being IN means you can get the best stuff).

Making honest mistakes is certainly acceptable. Not listening, actively going against the plan, or showing up without any of the needed gear/skills is less ok. Everyone was new once, willingness to help out and learn is fine. Showing up in an Elite mission without a clue, not helping (or actively hurting) is NOT. And that happens (in my experience) a lot more on the weekends.

Not sure why you'd try and make a stink over this, though. At Lt. Cmdr, you're not even eligible to PLAY these things, so can't have much of a frame of reference for what we're talking about. If you were, you'd probably see what we're saying.
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 08:21 PM   #1942
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

It looks like the C-store problem has been fixed.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 10:00 PM   #1943
hamudm
Rear Admiral
 
hamudm's Avatar
 
Location: Langley, B.C., Canada
View hamudm's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

I just started playing this on the weekend and for some reason, I'm unable to beam up from Vega Colony in the training mission. I just stand around like a jackass after disabling the Borg comm relay while everyone around me beams up. I think it's a glitch. I've thought about deleting my avatar and starting the game again, seeing as I'm only an hour into it, but I can't be arsed.

Anyone else have this problem?
__________________
hamudm's DVD's
hamudm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 11:15 PM   #1944
Aeolusdallas
Captain
 
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

hamudm wrote: View Post
I just started playing this on the weekend and for some reason, I'm unable to beam up from Vega Colony in the training mission. I just stand around like a jackass after disabling the Borg comm relay while everyone around me beams up. I think it's a glitch. I've thought about deleting my avatar and starting the game again, seeing as I'm only an hour into it, but I can't be arsed.

Anyone else have this problem?
look at your journal you may have missed an objective
Aeolusdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 05:25 AM   #1945
intrinsical
Fleet Captain
 
intrinsical's Avatar
 
Location: Singapore
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

hamudm wrote: View Post
I just started playing this on the weekend and for some reason, I'm unable to beam up from Vega Colony in the training mission. I just stand around like a jackass after disabling the Borg comm relay while everyone around me beams up. I think it's a glitch. I've thought about deleting my avatar and starting the game again, seeing as I'm only an hour into it, but I can't be arsed.

Anyone else have this problem?
Its been a long time since I last did that mission, but if I remember correctly there are several more tasks to complete in a deeper section of the colony. Have a look at your journal or look for markers on your ground map (press"M").
__________________
USS Sentinel, Luna Class (STO)
intrinsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 11:14 AM   #1946
MikeS
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Liverpool, UK
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Scout101 wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
Playing the STFs on the weekend is dicey, at best. Amateur hour...
This kind of comment annoys me. We all have to start somewhere. There is alot to learn in this game and I have only been playing sporadically for a few weeks reaching Lieutenant Commander and receiving a Constitution II in the process.

This is the reason I've steered clear of interacting with "Fleet missions" yet.

We that have real lives to lead with work and family to fill our weeks bow down to your superior gamesmanship.
Feel free to be annoyed, but it wasn't directed at you. It was directed at those that jump into the Elite STFs on the weekend, to the point where (compared to the usual crowd on a weeknight) the average ability of the players goes down.

Has nothing to do with learning curve, or the 'bowing down to ability' strawman you're putting together. I've got a job, a wife, other committments just like everyone else, and am hardly a hardcore gamer. I HAVE run the STFs a couple hundred times (at least) over the past couple years, though.

Just seems that on the weekend, you get more people in the Elite STFs that aren't equipped right for it, haven't even played the NORMAL mode enough to understand the objectives, actively won't listen to the plan or participate in the chat channel, AFKs, or generally doesn't help out. If in the chat, we all agree to start on the left, don't go right and then start swearing in the chat, or not responding at all, failing it for all of us. I probably wasn't the most help my first couple runs, but by starting in Normal mode, learning how to do it, gearing up, and listening to people explain strategy, I got better. And then moved to Elite. With F2P, we've gotten more people doing that almost exactly backwards, and essentially just joining one of these to farm for gear (it's totally random, not based on score within the event, so just being IN means you can get the best stuff).

Making honest mistakes is certainly acceptable. Not listening, actively going against the plan, or showing up without any of the needed gear/skills is less ok. Everyone was new once, willingness to help out and learn is fine. Showing up in an Elite mission without a clue, not helping (or actively hurting) is NOT. And that happens (in my experience) a lot more on the weekends.

Not sure why you'd try and make a stink over this, though. At Lt. Cmdr, you're not even eligible to PLAY these things, so can't have much of a frame of reference for what we're talking about. If you were, you'd probably see what we're saying.
I did not intend to "make a stink" and after reading your reply, I can agree with the points you make. You will agree that your first post was somewhat terse and lacking in depth as to your gripe? This is where my misunderstanding of your intentions came from.

Thank-you for recognising that we all start somewhere and it takes time to learn in a game of this size.
__________________
One day soon, man is going to be able to harness incredible energies, energies that could ultimately hurl us to other worlds in... some sort of spaceship.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 11:30 AM   #1947
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

I didn't think the original comment NEEDED to be much deeper. If you'd played enough STFs with PUGs, you'd have seen why I was saying that (and agreeing with the previous poster that had just come out of a bad STF group). Hell, I'd just finished a fairly awful group myself. If you've never even PLAYED a STF, not sure why you'd go off on my 'gripe' in the first place. Not sure I agree that you didn't mean to make a stink though, after you took a few shots at me, implying I didn't have a real life, job, family, and that you bowed down to my superior gamesmanship. Odd way to jump if you weren't sure of my intention, and hadn't even had any experience in the thing we were complaining about. You missed the point and attacked ME over it, even though you weren't part of the original comment. Don't look to me to appologize like we both made a mistake...

Again, because the rewards are (potentially) so good, and there's no minimum requirements to join the Elite missions, the weekends usually see a drop in team quality as more people that don't play much try to optimize their rewards by tagging along with people that have more experience. A little dead weight is fine, and if you learn from it, great. Prefer that you actually learn to play in Normal mode before jumping into Elite, but hey, it happens. When half your team is useless, or even worse, actively harmful, it's ok to be frustrated though...
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 12:18 PM   #1948
JRS
Fleet Captain
 
JRS's Avatar
 
Location: Brno, Czech Republic
Send a message via Yahoo to JRS
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Has anyone here linked/tried to link their PWE and Cryptic accounts yet?

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=570451

Judging from the comments section, the linking may cause all sorts of problems,
so I am personally bit weary of trying it right now.
__________________
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon

Last edited by JRS; June 21 2012 at 12:29 PM.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 12:28 PM   #1949
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Thankfully it seems to have gone well for me.
I never wanted a PW account, and had to change my user name to timelord79 to make it fit with their name requirements.

If I didn't have a lifetime account this would have been the moment I would have walked away for good...
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 02:28 PM   #1950
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Other than not being able to keep my original name, no problems. Make sure to go in and get the 'reward' for switching over, located in the 'items' section of the C-Store. Oddly, not the legacy unlocks section where they always put these things. I didn't get anything particularly useful (yay points boost for a VA50 player! got a couple engine/aux boosts and a purple MK XI hand phaser as well), but worth grabbing i guess.

Much ado about nothing, in the long run, but yet another half-assed effort from PWE/Cryptic. Lie about it, say you won't notice a change, then just dump something in there and don't respond to problems when it's half-tested. Little shit like not being able to use your names, not keeping posting history or join dates, no custom avatars, etc. You know, the stuff that should work by DEFAULT in a BBS system, and shouldn't have taken any effort. I'm sure they're "looking into it"...
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
mmorpg, onlne, star trek online, sto

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.