Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 19 2012, 08:03 PM   #106
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Good news for those of us in the U.S. ordering the Blu-Rays from Japan:

All subsequent Blu-Ray discs beyond the first will contain four (4) episodes per disc; and not just two (2), like the first one did. They will also maintain doing the English subtitle track on them as well.

(This will make the strain on my wallet a lot lighter in the long run.)
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2012, 08:23 PM   #107
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I'm personally waiting for the entire series run to be complete and get the whole boxed set. Granted, it will likely be a long wait but $100+ for a hand-full of episodes seems a bit steep.
Old June 19 2012, 08:27 PM   #108
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I'm personally waiting for the entire series run to be complete and get the whole boxed set. Granted, it will likely be a long wait but $100+ for a hand-full of episodes seems a bit steep.
I don't suppose there is any hope of an eventual U.S. release.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2012, 09:14 PM   #109
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ If there is, I'm sure Voyager Entertainment will be at the forefront of its official import or, at the very least, provide us with the appropriate news as it happens.
Old June 20 2012, 02:07 AM   #110
Ithekro
Captain

Considering that the current Blu-ray versions have subtitles already I don't think the Japanese will feel there is a need for a destributor in North America (Region A is Region A be it in America or Japan) Especailly since American BD prices are about half to a third Japanese prices before shipping. Not sure if Voyager Entertainment could sell enough to make buying the rights worth it, not only for themselves, but also the Japanese distribution company (Bandai Visual)....though they would only need to spend some money on repackaging and probably translations for the title page and subtitles for the extras (which are not in English presently).

I have no idea if they would even be able to get this dubbed into English these days. and even if they did (which would have its own expense) what pattern to use? A "direct" translation....or use the 1979 Star Blazers localization pattern for naming things?

Though...with sales in the 20,000 range presently for BD and DVDs combined...They might see it as a hot property. It is one of the top selling anime this year if I read the numbers correctly. Not as high as say Fate/Zero or Nisemonogatari, but still up there.
That is pretty good especially since aside from Episode One...Yamato 2199 hasn't been on television yet...and won't be until after the theater runs finish next year.

Last edited by Ithekro; June 20 2012 at 02:21 AM.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 03:50 PM   #111
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ I never underestimate the popularity of Yamato in Japan. While it has a loyal cult following in the States (and I hear Italy goes completely batshit over it as well, along with Captain Harlock for some bizarre reason ) it seems to be a more culturally significant phenomena back home. With the possible exception of the odd-man-out Yamato 2520, it's always enjoyed high ratings in popularity in Japan, across damn near all age groups. The pedigree of the titular vessel alone seems to strike a peculiar nationalistic chord - and understandably so.

I'm hoping that this popularity will almost mandate an overseas release. And I personally don't care if it's dubbed or not. Subbing is good enough for me, as long as I get my hands on it in the next year or so.
Old June 21 2012, 07:30 PM   #112
Lynn Minmay
Captain

First 10 minutes of episode 3.

Volume 2 is out at the end of July.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwX5J...&feature=g-u-u
Old June 21 2012, 08:27 PM   #113
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Ithekro wrote: View Post
Considering that the current Blu-ray versions have subtitles already I don't think the Japanese will feel there is a need for a destributor in North America (Region A is Region A be it in America or Japan) Especailly since American BD prices are about half to a third Japanese prices before shipping. Not sure if Voyager Entertainment could sell enough to make buying the rights worth it, not only for themselves, but also the Japanese distribution company (Bandai Visual)....though they would only need to spend some money on repackaging and probably translations for the title page and subtitles for the extras (which are not in English presently).

I have no idea if they would even be able to get this dubbed into English these days. and even if they did (which would have its own expense) what pattern to use? A "direct" translation....or use the 1979 Star Blazers localization pattern for naming things?

Though...with sales in the 20,000 range presently for BD and DVDs combined...They might see it as a hot property. It is one of the top selling anime this year if I read the numbers correctly. Not as high as say Fate/Zero or Nisemonogatari, but still up there.
That is pretty good especially since aside from Episode One...Yamato 2199 hasn't been on television yet...and won't be until after the theater runs finish next year.
Well, with Toonami's revival, a prospective American distributor can make an argument for a dub being a useful marketing tool to sell BDs here. The main problem is one of time - how long would it take to get all the legal stuff sorted so they could dub it before a corporate shakeup or internal politics kills Toonami again, and how long would it take after that to get the BDs on the street.

The good thing is that aside from the all Japanese crew (which kind of doesn't make sense given that this is pretty much Earth's best and only chance for survival, so you'd think the rest of the world would toss whatever they could into the project), there doesn't seem to be any overtly offensive nationalism in the show so far. That might change in later episodes (although I kind of doubt it).
Old June 22 2012, 12:35 AM   #114
Ithekro
Captain

I think they addressed the issue of a basically Japanese crew due to the condition the planet it in at this stage of the war. The surviving regions of the United Nations are more or less isolated from each other which would make training more difficult. It also might be that their best and brightest have already been killed in the war as the larger counties would have been targeted first.

It also might have been luck of the draw. Defense Command might be in Japanese hand by a matter of rotation. Or that was just where the first Iscandarian ship landed, so processing from Japan was the quickest solution.

The First Fleet was entirely made up of Japanese ships. Likely because the other fleets had been destroyed prior to this last engagement at Pluto. And the background notes seem to suggest these were older ships to begin with. Kirishima and the cruisers are supposedly built in the 2270s so they are 25 or so year old ships going up against an advanced alien aggressor.

That they managed to build this giant spaceship under what looked like the wreckage of an old battleship was done specifically to keep the Gamilas from knowing what Earth was doing. Which means the humans know the Gamilas have fairly good recon abilities.

And a part of the orignal officers canditates were killed a day or two before the ship was to launch. They had to rush to get replacements from the local pool...that being Japan. This is alway why you have several people getting heavy promotions at when they board Yamato. (Shima, Kodai, and Yuki are Ensigns at the start, and by the time Yamato launches they are full Lieutenants and section leaders. Nanbu gets a one grade promotion to Lt. jg and head of the gunnery staff.) Considering that Kodai's bother was suppose to be the Combat Chief and he was a Lt. Commander with his own commad...I image he was suppose to be the ship's orignal XO instead of Sanada.

But there are other survivors other than just Japan. Judging by amount of power provided, the Americans seem to have the largest remaining powergrid followed by Europe and the Japan.

One thing to note. The show's General Director, Yutaka Izubuchi, was involved with the mechanical art production on Yamato III. He designed the Space Battleship Arizona, which was specifically an American built ship in the series. It looks like a cross between Yamato and Andromeda in style and has more guns than both.
Old June 22 2012, 12:44 AM   #115
Ithekro
Captain

The new episode preview looks good.

The action part of the episode will be the second half.

The new Warp effects are interesting. Sort of a cross between the later Yamato movies, Star Trek, and Wing Commander (the time freeze part in the warp).

There are a few things I don't yet fully get due to this not being translated. Most are little things. Personal moments sort of stuff. But also the technical talk about the wave motion gun after the talk about the wave motion engine.

It is nice that the screen diagrams and even techincal manuals are in both Japanese and English.
Old June 22 2012, 05:42 PM   #116
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Ithekro wrote: View Post
One thing to note. The show's General Director, Yutaka Izubuchi, was involved with the mechanical art production on Yamato III. He designed the Space Battleship Arizona, which was specifically an American built ship in the series. It looks like a cross between Yamato and Andromeda in style and has more guns than both.
For those interested...the Arizona (appears to have main gun armament of Andromeda, but AA armament of Yamato)

There were several other vessels of international origin from Yamato III.

There's the Bismarck (from Germany) - which oddly appears to have no weapons capabilities at all, save for a hand-full of forward-mounted torpedo launchers:

...And the Prince of Wales (from the UK) - no AA, but 4 main guns, oriented differently:
Old July 14 2012, 07:48 PM   #117
Ithekro
Captain

Previews for the current set of episodes after 3 are out now.

Preview for Episode 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHVQ0f-qftM

Preview for Episode 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4o1TToVnCs

Preview for Episode 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfttAvN6gj4

Preview for Episode 7 (out in October/November)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XfMJDVq5wQ

BD release of episodes 3-6 will be July 27th.

Episodes 7-10 will come out in theaters October 13th with the BD coming out later in Novemeber.

Last edited by Ithekro; July 14 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old July 16 2012, 05:39 AM   #118
Ithekro
Captain

Yamato's first fight.

Shock Cannon action against Gamilon warships in Jupiter's atmosphere.

And the Wave Motion Gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bQlm...layer_embedded
Old July 17 2012, 05:58 AM   #119
Lynn Minmay
Captain

Cosmo Tiger/Cosmo Zero launch sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEuyhe_97ag
Old July 17 2012, 08:55 PM   #120
Ithekro
Captain

Even more Yamato 2199 action. (10 more days until the BD is released to the masses...with English subtitles.)

Yamamoto takes on Gamilas tanks with a Cosmo Zero. (Episode 4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq9QpEk1X0g

The Pluto Base Reflex Gun in action against Yamato. Clips of each firing. (Episodes 5 and 6)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlnrBBDsGwg

Yamato takes out Pluto Base and the Gamilas Fleet. Also Gamilas warping effects. (Episode 6)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7p0fqgaSwI