TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 31 2012, 09:03 PM   #16
chris_masters5
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Errand of Vengeance / Fury series

RonG wrote: View Post
you should be able to track down the TrekBBS thread quite easily and see if you'd be interested in reading it.
Found a couple of threads about it - they've convinced me to give it ago.
chris_masters5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 09:10 PM   #17
Timo
Admiral

Curious... Why wouldn't The Children of Kings fit fully in the "regular" continuity?

I mean, there may be promotional reasons for claiming it's a half-breed or mixed bag or whatever. But there doesn't appear to be any inherent reason for this in the story.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 02:11 AM   #18
Kertrats47
Commodore

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Well, there was a reference to Number One consulting the records of the Ferengi Commerce Authority. Among other things, if I remember correctly. Here's my review of it, but be warned that I wasn't impressed. It might be nice to revisit it someday, though.
Old June 1 2012, 06:59 AM   #19
JD
Admiral

I haven't read it yet, but I think I remember people bringing up some of the stuff with the Klingon cloaking device not lining up with the Prime Universe history.
Old June 1 2012, 07:29 AM   #20
RonG
Captain

View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG

chris_masters5 wrote: View Post
you should be able to track down the TrekBBS thread quite easily and see if you'd be interested in reading it.
Found a couple of threads about it - they've convinced me to give it ago.
Glad to be of service

As for the continuity, IIRC there are a couple of in-story (minor) continuity gaffes with the Prime Universe, so I've always looked at it as a "true" standalone.
Old June 1 2012, 07:51 AM   #21
Timo
Admiral

Well, there was a reference to Number One consulting the records of the Ferengi Commerce Authority. Among other things, if I remember correctly.
Ah, thanks - I've now found a 2010 TrekBBS thread on it as well.

UFP knowledge of the FCA in the 23rd century isn't really contrary to what we know of the Ferengi, any more than Uhura's knowledge of Cardassian drinks in STXI is. And UPF knowledge of the FCA in the 23rd century doesn't really appear to make the novel take place in the Abramsverse...

As for Pitcairn being Chief Engineer rather than Transporter Chief, and Garrison being a Lieutenant, well, that's merely keeping with canon. It's only noncanon, backstage sources that suggest that Pitcairn had any sort of a defined position in "The Cage", or that Garrison's sleeve markings weren't supposed to be the same as Joe Tormolen's, despite the looks. Or that these guys even had names. Etc. etc.

So I wouldn't sweat the "not in line with the prime universe" thing. The average Trek novel diverges more from that norm. And, inevitably, the six Errand novels add up to a greater number of diversions and contradictions than The Children of Kings. Not that it would matter much, either. There's always room for a little bit of "WTF?" diversions in that intriguing pre-TOS era; those make Errand and Vanguard so much richer for me at least...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 08:54 PM   #22
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

I just started reading book 1 of the Errand of Vengeance trilogy, The Edge of the Sword. So far it is awesome, and I want to thank RonG and the rest of you for the recommendation Nice to have a series that can fill the void left by the end of the Vanguard saga.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if Kevin Ryan is planning on writing anymore Trek lit?
Old June 19 2012, 08:51 AM   #23
RonG
Captain

Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
I just started reading book 1 of the Errand of Vengeance trilogy, The Edge of the Sword. So far it is awesome, and I want to thank RonG and the rest of you for the recommendation Nice to have a series that can fill the void left by the end of the Vanguard saga.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if Kevin Ryan is planning on writing anymore Trek lit?

My pleasure

I got into this series exactly for that reason - to "fill the void" left by Vanguard's conclusion.

Another TOS novel I liked and you might find interesting is Section 31: Cloak by S.D. Perry

as for Kevin Ryan -no idea, but I'd be first to get new Trek novels by him
Old June 19 2012, 10:16 AM   #24
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

^Thanks for the reply Ron. I'll check out Section 31: Cloak by S.D. Perry when I am done with this series
Old June 19 2012, 10:48 AM   #25
zarkon
Captain

Yeah, cloak is fun. Far and away the best S31 novel.
Old June 19 2012, 12:23 PM   #26
RonG
Captain

The thing is, other than these books (Vanguard, Errand series and Cloak), I'm not that familiar with "darker"/"sophisticated" TOS novels, and would love some more recommendations..
Old June 19 2012, 12:45 PM   #27
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

The thing is, other than these books (Vanguard, Errand series and Cloak), I'm not that familiar with "darker"/"sophisticated" TOS novels, and would love some more recommendations..
I suppose it depends on what sort of thing you're looking for. Errand of Vengeance/Fury has the connections to Vanguard, and Cloak has the kind of dark overtones that you would associate with Section 31.

I take it you're after something that goes beyond the "planet-of-the-week" formula, but I don't know if you wanted to delve into politics and intrigue or have more character-driven stories.
Old June 19 2012, 01:11 PM   #28
RonG
Captain

bok2384 wrote: View Post
I suppose it depends on what sort of thing you're looking for. Errand of Vengeance/Fury has the connections to Vanguard, and Cloak has the kind of dark overtones that you would associate with Section 31.

I take it you're after something that goes beyond the "planet-of-the-week" formula, but I don't know if you wanted to delve into politics and intrigue or have more character-driven stories.
Well, basically I'm looking for novels that explore the TOS era / timeframe with a darker look - something that goes beyond "just" what was shown on the series itself, and delves into more complex situations, settings and characterizations - preferably more plotically or military-themed.

I hope this explains it a bit - it's more of a feeling I got when reading Vanguard, and I was looking to experience something similar (and finding it to date only in the Errand series and Cloak)..
Old June 19 2012, 01:18 PM   #29
zarkon
Captain

The Final Reflection
The Wounded Sky
Spocks World
Doctor's Orders
Federation
First Frontier

I guess are fairly sophisticated, although that's not the easiest term to quantify. They're superb reads either way.

I guess traitor winds is a bit darker then normal while remaining lots of fun to read. Windows on a Lost World is darker, but personally speaking I found it really bad. Shadow Lord is darker, but....well it's a fun book, but I can only assume the author only had the most fleeting understanding of Star Trek, as there are rather glaring problems with the entire idea of the story, not to mention other problems.

--edit

was writing this out before your second post. given what you said, probably only The Final Reflection meets that - and bear in mind that it is not consistant with canon anymore.
Old June 19 2012, 01:27 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer

I wouldn't consider most of the books on that list to be "dark," especially not The Wounded Sky, which is one of the most idealized portrayals of the ST cast and universe you're ever likely to see.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote