Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 18 2012, 04:30 PM   #1
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
TMP: Decker in Command?

Is there any way the mission would've succeeded with Will Decker in command?
  • He was unwilling to go into the cloud, calling it an "unwarranted risk".
  • He recommends a phaser strike when the Enterprise had barely survived an earlier salvo from V'Ger.
  • He is reluctant to engage the Ilia-probe.

I just wonder what track he could've taken to make the mission successful? Under the conditions that he was unwilling to enter the cloud and was willing to use phaser-strikes against what was a far superior technological foe.

For what it's worth, I understand the real world reasons of Kirk's the hero... so he has to be right.
Old June 18 2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Jose Tyler
Lieutenant Commander

Re: TMP: Decker in Command?

Most likely, no. He came across as cautious when he should have been brash, and brash when he should have been cautious. At some point he would have to beam all the carbon units off the Enterprise to the fourth planet, and the next thing you know he'd be in auxillary control drooling on a table, mumbling about how the fourth planet was there, but not anymore...
Old June 18 2012, 04:51 PM   #3
BillJ
Admiral

Jose Tyler wrote: View Post
Most likely, no. He came across as cautious when he should have been brash, and brash when he should have been cautious. At some point he would have to beam all the carbon units off the Enterprise to the fourth planet, and the next thing you know he'd be in auxillary control drooling on a table, mumbling about how the fourth planet was there, but not anymore...
Old June 18 2012, 05:03 PM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I think the mission would have failed. IMO, the only reason it succeeded was because Kirk was willing to take the Enterprise directly into the heart of V'Ger and get up all in its business. I don't think much could have been done to stop V'Ger from the outside as Decker proposed. At best, it simply would have ignored the Enterprise as it continued to make its way otherwise unchallenged to Earth.
Old June 18 2012, 05:04 PM   #5
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
Will Decker's command style is explored in the novel "A Flag Full of Stars" by Brad Ferguson, the DC Comics Annual #2 (Series II), "The Final Mission", and the "Enterprise Logs" short story, "Night Whispers" by Diane Duane.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2012, 05:56 AM   #6
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

One of the jobs of a first officer is to present the Captain with option that the Captain might not have seen (Riker and the depressurization of the flight deck). Just because Decker pointed out the possibility of a phaser strike on the tractor beam emitter, does not mean he would have made the strike himself as Captain.

Similarly, another of the first officer's job is that he runs the ship, while the Captain runs the mission. So Decker's avocacy of more warp simulations prior to the first warp attempt was not a example of excessive caution, but him simply doing his job properly. Give the resulting worm hole effect, his advice to Kirk was correct.

Decker's position, his mind set, would have been different if he had been in the Captain's chair. The weight of the mission would have been on his shoulders, and he would have been the one making the command decisions. I believe he might still have delayed the first warp attempt, however the need to press on into the cloud after the Enterprise as attacked would have been Decker's priority, instead of Kirk's.

Don't forget, it was ultimately Decker's decision (and not Kirk's) to join with Illa and V'ger that accomplished the mission and saved Earth.

Old June 19 2012, 02:43 PM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post

Don't forget, it was ultimately Decker's decision (and not Kirk's) to join with Illa and V'ger that accomplished the mission and saved Earth.
Decker defined entering the cloud as an "unwarranted risk". If he doesn't enter the cloud, there is never an Ilia probe for him to merge with.
Old June 19 2012, 02:53 PM   #8
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post

Decker defined entering the cloud as an "unwarranted risk". If he doesn't enter the cloud, there is never an Ilia probe for him to merge with.
Agreed. Decker wouldn't have taken the Enterprise into V'Ger if he had been in command.
Old June 20 2012, 01:30 AM   #9
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

DECKER
That's precisely the point, Captain. We don't
know it'll do. Moving into that Cloud,
at this time, is an unwarranted gamble.
AT THIS TIME. It means Decker didn't think they should do it at the moment Spock recommend they proceed. They had just been attacked, and while the second attack had been broken off after Spock's sped-up message, Kirk had not even attempted further communication. Maybe as Captain, Decker would have tried that, and gone in after not receiving further reply. I mean, what else could he do? Follow the cloud and keep saying "Hello?" At some point he'd have been forced to go in. Kirk was just bolder, taking "they're not shooting" as an invitation to proceed.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 02:49 AM   #10
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Actually, we don't know that Decker would have taken the Enterprise inside V'Ger at all. All we can go by onscreen is that Decker didn't think it was a good idea and wasn't pleased when Kirk decided to do it anyway (in the background, you can see Decker react negatively upon Kirk's decision).
Old June 20 2012, 02:57 AM   #11
Maurice
Vice Admiral

^^^So you're saying that he'd have just flown alongside the cloud all the way to Earth when it didn't answer? Nonsense. There's a point at which a military man has to put himself in harm's way when civilians are in danger. His choices, sans communication, were opening fire (suicide, as proven by the Klingons) or going into the cloud to see what was there.
Old June 20 2012, 03:13 AM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
^^^So you're saying that he'd have just flown alongside the cloud all the way to Earth when it didn't answer? Nonsense. There's a point at which a military man has to put himself in harm's way when civilians are in danger. His choices, sans communication, were opening fire (suicide, as proven by the Klingons) or going into the cloud to see what was there.
I agree that eventually he would have entered the cloud. But I think the mission would've came to a screaming halt if he fired phasers at the tractor beam like he suggested once inside V'Ger.
Old June 20 2012, 03:14 AM   #13
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
^^^So you're saying that he'd have just flown alongside the cloud all the way to Earth when it didn't answer? Nonsense.
Actually, it's not nonsense at all. If Decker believed that the Enterprise would be just wind up being captured (or worse, destroyed) once inside V'Ger, then staying outside would be the wisest course of action. Decker would have tried other means of trying to contact V'Ger.
There's a point at which a military man has to put himself in harm's way when civilians are in danger.
There's a point in which a military man has to stay alive to protect those civilians in danger. Sacrifices shouldn't be wasted if there are other alternatives.
His choices, sans communication, were opening fire (suicide, as proven by the Klingons) or going into the cloud to see what was there.
We actually don't know if Decker would have done that. All we can go from onscreen material by is that he wouldn't have. We also don't know what other alternatives Decker would have tried had he been in command.
Old June 20 2012, 06:32 AM   #14
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Your argument would be the equivalent of a tank commander who is the only thing standing between a town and an armored division with a record of destroying everything in its path who doesn't do anything else but radio the enemy because his tank mightn't survive the encounter.
Old June 20 2012, 08:14 AM   #15
newtontomato539
Commander

The flagship Enterprise with Captain Decker in command with Admiral Kirk on board. Perfect! Better move.
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote