RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,678
Members: 24,204
Currently online: 919
Newest member: Bashir Trikona

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 17 2012, 05:04 AM   #331
SG-17
Commodore

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

I wonder if an earthbender would be able to bend composite materials like concrete, brick, or macadam? They probably could.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2012, 05:17 AM   #332
Mr Light
Admiral

I believe it was Bolin who did that part.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2012, 05:34 AM   #333
SG-17
Commodore

Thinking some more I think that Iroh is Zuko's grandson. The son of Bumi and Zuko's daughter.

We know that Bumi was considered royalty in the Fire Nation, only royalty has embroidered collars, non-royal military members do not. As well Bumi shares some facial features with Iroh.

Old June 17 2012, 10:45 AM   #334
Christopher
Writer

SG-17 wrote: View Post
I wonder if an earthbender would be able to bend composite materials like concrete, brick, or macadam? They probably could.
They do it all the time. The large coin-like discs that earthbenders often utilize, both in the original series and here (such as the discs used in pro bending), are made of clay, like the clay discs used in skeet shooting. That's not so different from brick. And we've repeatedly seen Korra and Bolin create ramps and such out of the modern paved roads of Republic City.

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I believe it was Bolin who did that part.
No, I'm referring the part where Lin was battling the Equalists alone, before the airbender kids showed up to save her and well before Korra's team arrived.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2012, 11:03 AM   #335
Reverend
Rear Admiral

OK, so out of curiosity; if earthbenders have metalbenders, waterbenders have bloodbenders and firebenders have uh...lightning shooty people (?) what I wonder is the highly specialized form of airbender? Vacuum bending? Condensing air to liquid oxygen bending?

SG-17 wrote: View Post
Thinking some more I think that Iroh is Zuko's grandson. The son of Bumi and Zuko's daughter.

We know that Bumi was considered royalty in the Fire Nation, only royalty has embroidered collars, non-royal military members do not. As well Bumi shares some facial features with Iroh.

I think you're reading a little too much into that. Traditions of dress can change a lot in 70 years. Perhaps because Zukko formed the naval part of the United Forces military (I'm assuming) they styled the uniform after the royal dress, because they were created by royal decree. Or more likely that's just what the modern fire nation uniforms look like. IIRC the messenger was wearing what looked like an earth kingdom uniform. That collar could simply mean Bumi is also a General in the fire nation contingent, like Iroh. I mean there could hardly be an airbending contingent....though I suppose water tribe would have made more sense.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2012, 04:07 PM   #336
RoJoHen
Awesome

Reverend wrote: View Post
OK, so out of curiosity; if earthbenders have metalbenders, waterbenders have bloodbenders and firebenders have uh...lightning shooty people (?) what I wonder is the highly specialized form of airbender? Vacuum bending? Condensing air to liquid oxygen bending?
Surely Milo demonstrated this with his fart bending.
Old June 17 2012, 04:56 PM   #337
Mr Light
Admiral

^

I don't suppose spirit bending could be the ultra version of air bending?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2012, 05:05 PM   #338
Christopher
Writer

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I don't suppose spirit bending could be the ultra version of air bending?
Probably not. In most classical elemental schemes (except Chinese), the four physical elements of earth, air, fire, and water are accompanied by a fifth, intangible element of aether, cosmos, spirit, something like that. That's where the word "quintessence" comes from -- it's literally "the fifth element," the ultimate, most sublime constituent (and yes, that's where the movie title comes from too).

So based on that, I'm assuming that spirit-bending is a separate, fifth form of bending. Another thing that makes me suspect it is that Korra is going to have a second season. So far we've had four seasons or "Books" of Avatar-verse shows, each named for the element being learned by the avatar in that season: ATLA Bk. 1 = Water, Bk. 2 = Earth, Bk. 3 = Fire, and TLOK Bk. 1 = Air. So what is TLOK Book 2 going to be called? My guess is "Spirit," and the season will focus on Korra mastering the spiritual side of being the Avatar. Maybe the mystery of Amon's evident spirit-bending ability will lead into story threads for Book 2.

Old June 17 2012, 05:13 PM   #339
SG-17
Commodore

The specialized style of Airbending is Sound bending. Airbenders can learn to control the vibrations in the atmosphere and do things like create sonic blasts or cause a structure to vibrate at its resonance frequency, or even cause silence.

Old June 17 2012, 07:29 PM   #340
Christopher
Writer

^Is that just speculation, or did you get it from a behind-the-scenes source?

Old June 17 2012, 09:02 PM   #341
SG-17
Commodore

Aang demonstrated soundbending several times in the original series, notably in Tales of Ba Sing Se when he amplified the bison whistle so that it could be heard across the entire city.

Old June 17 2012, 09:04 PM   #342
RoJoHen
Awesome

I didn't think that was soundbending. He just used airbending to blow really hard.
Old June 17 2012, 09:32 PM   #343
Christopher
Writer

^Yeah, that's all it was. The harder you blow on a wind instrument, the louder the sound, and he used airbending to blow really forcefully.

Still, it is a plausible conjecture that soundbending could be a specialized form of airbending. I don't think we've ever seen it, though.

Old June 18 2012, 01:55 AM   #344
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Yeah, that's all it was. The harder you blow on a wind instrument, the louder the sound, and he used airbending to blow really forcefully.

Still, it is a plausible conjecture that soundbending could be a specialized form of airbending. I don't think we've ever seen it, though.
And if it was, the skill was probably lost when the airbenders were wiped out. Someone would have to rediscover it.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 02:11 AM   #345
Agent Richard07
Admiral

As an intersting aside, sound is the 5th element in the chakra system, where we have the following...

1. Earth
2. Water
3. Fire
4. Air
5. Sound (or ether/void)
6. Light
7. Thought (or consciousness/spirit)

Based on that, spirit bending would probably fall under "thought bending". And that lightning guy seems more like a light bender, especially since his lightning emanates from his third eye, where the 6th chakra lies. I like that system and thought it would have been nice if somehow, the mythology expanded to include sound, light and thought bending.

Last edited by Agent Richard07; June 18 2012 at 02:49 AM.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote