Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 4 2012, 08:59 PM   #91
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: hi ho Silver, The Lone Ranger rides on....

Hey cool! What'd you and Depp chat about?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 09:46 AM   #92
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

This Thread, no doubt.

That sounds like a great day. I wouldn't mind doing something like that.
Old May 10 2012, 09:30 PM   #93
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Hey cool! What'd you and Depp chat about?
Just small talk, really.. "Nice work today." "Thanks, you too." etc etc etc...

It was a fun day, but next time, I hope I get called for something shooting in ABQ proper or in the mountains.. The desert setting was miserable!

For those who will be seeing this, Cody, Tx and Promintory, UT were filmed next to each other on the same set. One town was on one street, and the other on another..
Old June 14 2012, 02:12 AM   #94
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

They're back up to $250 million. The boss got the boot, so it's free play until they hire the new one!

At the same time, the executive turnover at Disney -- studio head Rich Ross resigned in April amid criticism of his lack of film experience -- has left a void during production. Newly installed chief Alan Horn started in the job June 11, so he is just beginning to get familiar with the Lone Ranger situation, which likely will be one of the first challenges he faces in his new role.

The film is not expected to finish shooting until August, which still gives it plenty of time to meet its July 3, 2013, release date. And the buzz generated by some who have seen footage say Verbinski has a chance to do for Westerns what he did for pirate movies -- make the genre popular internationally.
For the record, I still predict: MONSTER HIT!

Because you gotta respect a director who builds locomotives from scratch.
Old June 14 2012, 09:42 AM   #95
RJDiogenes

Monster hit or Heaven's Gate? Only time will tell....
Old June 14 2012, 08:23 PM   #96
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I still remember how Titanic ran up the budget and everyone predicted doom...

Don't underestimate Johnny Depp's fanbase. Just give them some fun adventure, not some inane BS with vampires, and they will put their butts in seats. The POTC movies weren't great art by any stretch of the imagination, so the bar is not set high.

Just out of curiosity, I checked the international BO for that ridiculous flop, Dark Shadows. Sure enough, it's made lots more money overseas as in America. I've seen that patten happen often with even the suckiest of movies. Even inane BS with vampires won't sink you for sure.
Old June 15 2012, 09:46 AM   #97
RJDiogenes

Interesting. John Carter made more money overseas, too. Not sure what to make of that, since JC looks infinitely better than DS (I'll find out this weekend).

The Pirate movies were top-drawer adventures, but Lone Ranger shouldn't be that over-the-top. He's a mysterious adventurer in the Old West-- it's got to be more low-key and personal. "We can't let them get the deed to the ranch, Tonto."
Old June 15 2012, 04:37 PM   #98
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ The first Pirates movie was. The second...not so much. I didn't even bother seeing the third as part 2 was so bad.

I still think that the first Zorro movie is the sort of tone and feel a Lone Ranger movie ought to be aiming for; personally, I'd cut out the whole supernatural elements.
Old June 15 2012, 06:59 PM   #99
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Interesting. John Carter made more money overseas, too. Not sure what to make of that, since JC looks infinitely better than DS (I'll find out this weekend).
All sorts of crap makes money overseas. As far as I can tell, the formula for Hollywood movie profits is based on whether they are good enough not to get totally savaged by word of mouth domestically + add a certain amount to the total depending on whether there's a big marquee name like Depp and how much shit gets blowed up real good, and there's the foreign box office.

The bigger the name and the more shit gets blowed up, the more you add to the foreign take. Doesn't really give Hollywood much incentive to change their crap-mongering ways, does it?

The Pirate movies were top-drawer adventures
They were? The first one was inane and I heard they got worse from there, so didn't bother to check them out. But Hollywood certainly isn't making movies for the fussy likes of me!

I still think that the first Zorro movie is the sort of tone and feel a Lone Ranger movie ought to be aiming for; personally, I'd cut out the whole supernatural elements.
Nope, they should do the opposite. They have the big name in Depp, so what they need is to amp the supernatural elements, make things bigger, crazier and more blowed up. So even if Americans (once again) say, pfft, I'm not wasting my money on this horrendous garbage, they still stand to make out like bandits.
Old June 15 2012, 07:23 PM   #100
stj
Rear Admiral

Explosions and other forms of visual spectacle translate. Wit and dramatic dialogue don't always translate. No one should assume the tastes of foreigners are intrinsically worse than those of the average US movie goer.

Nor can you automatically attribute success overseas to the presence of a big name star, especially in a thread citing John Carter. Taylor Kitsch is not a big name star. In fact one of the many criticisms in the chorus attacking the film prior to release was Taylor Kitsch.

The real importance of the overseas market hinges on how much of that revenue gets to the US moviemakers. That's a closely held secret. Also complicating the issue is the increasing importance of foreign financing, by people who are in a better position to tap foreign revenues.

The classic Western is dead, and the efforts to revive it are pretty much limited to ghetto markets like the Christian DVD movie market. (I suspect a powerful overlap, but, no, I don't have figures available.) Casting Johnny Depp as the Fool and dragging in the supernatural obviously are not classic Western, though. Depp will get people into seats, which is what "star" means. Casting a white guy for Tonto seems so obtuse it's hard to believe the movie could be good, though, even if it's Depp they cast.
Old June 16 2012, 09:40 AM   #101
RJDiogenes

^^ Any genre can be dead until someone revives it. What's the connection to the Christian DVD market?

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I think the Lone Ranger concept can tolerate some supernatural elements as long as they are subtle and eerie, in keeping with the Old West setting. Spooky legends. Kind of like Larry Blamire's haunted Western stories.

The bigger the name and the more shit gets blowed up, the more you add to the foreign take.
How does that differ from the domestic market?

They were? The first one was inane and I heard they got worse from there, so didn't bother to check them out. But Hollywood certainly isn't making movies for the fussy likes of me!
I thought they were all good. You can't go in expecting Errol Flynn-- they were totally trippy, off-the-wall rollercoaster rides. Not as good as Indy, but still....

Nope, they should do the opposite. They have the big name in Depp, so what they need is to amp the supernatural elements, make things bigger, crazier and more blowed up. So even if Americans (once again) say, pfft, I'm not wasting my money on this horrendous garbage, they still stand to make out like bandits.
Nooooo. That's not Lone Ranger. That will make it suck as much as nuDarkShadows and nuTrek.
Old June 16 2012, 07:29 PM   #102
stj
Rear Admiral

The classic Western is a dream West, where the Indians were mindless villains or insignicant noble savages (both conveniently doomed to extinction there were no African-Americans; Confederate veterans could find a new life free from the Yankee abolitionists who destroyed their homes; a man could reinvent himself; a strong man could reinvent society. None of these were true in reality. Of course, many of the best Western are remembered precisely because in some respect or other they contested the moronic premises.

In popular culture it seems like nothing ever dies. Of course there will be the occasional "Western," even the occasional attempt at a classic Western. But, barring a rollback of civil rights (like rolling back Social Security, this may be on the agenda) the classic Western will not achieve the widespread popularity it once had.

The term "Western" seems to be mutating by misuse. The recent Hatfields and McCoys miniseries has been labeled a Western, although it takes place east of the Ohio. Ditto the Justified television series! Given modern education this could just be ignorance. But I followed a link to a Variety article that slipped and called Westerns "hick flicks." I suspect the tendency is to revise "Western" to mean redneck (i.e., racist) and/or the violent strong man theme, which is notoriously close to some Fascist esthetics and philosophy. Which, incidentally, is why I suspect a strong overlap with the Christian DVD market.
Old June 16 2012, 09:44 PM   #103
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post

agreed
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2012, 11:22 PM   #104
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Because you gotta respect a director who builds locomotives from scratch.
It was the only logical step after building an entire town, working saloon and railroad tracks.

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2012, 10:28 AM   #105
RJDiogenes

stj wrote: View Post
I suspect the tendency is to revise "Western" to mean redneck (i.e., racist) and/or the violent strong man theme, which is notoriously close to some Fascist esthetics and philosophy. Which, incidentally, is why I suspect a strong overlap with the Christian DVD market.
Well, that's exactly what you did in your first paragraph. You were more right when you said that Westerns went against the stereotypes. I've recently been re-watching some old Lone Ranger episodes and many of them deal with anti-racist themes, both in terms of the Indians and Chinese immigrants. They may be considered simplistic or naive by some people today, but they are good-hearted. As for the dearth of Black characters, Westerns were no worse than other shows or movies of that era; it was a sign of the times, not a characteristic of the genre.