CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 16 2012, 12:21 AM   #151
Christopher
Writer

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

Klaus wrote: View Post
AMC may be a good place for shows but it sucks for movies.
Which just goes to show how niche cable networks often change identity, since AMC originally stood for American Movie Classics. They used to be the go-to channel for commercial-free classic movies, and then it was both them and TCM sharing the niche for a while, but I guess TCM won the competition and AMC shifted its focus elsewhere.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2012, 12:51 AM   #152
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Zombie Klaus's Twitter Profile

I remember when TCM was the new kid on the block, AMC 's decline was a sad thing and now w/o TCM I might not even want cable lol...
Zombie Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2012, 04:49 AM   #153
Christopher
Writer

It's striking how dark, somber, and character-driven a film Gojira actually is, defying expectations of the kaiju genre. I had some giggles at the cheesy effects, but the human portions of the story had a lot more impact, especially the scenes of the aftermath of the destruction -- particularly given that this film was made only nine years after the bombs fell on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The spectre of nuclear destruction definitely haunts the film, and a character in the film essentially says as much outright. (I had a thought... given that Japan is basically an animist culture, with traditional beliefs where everything has an embodying spirit, maybe Gojira was seen as the spirit/embodiment of nuclear devastation and was thus taken more seriously within that cultural context, whereas Westerners just saw a big dinosaur.)

I'm also surprised to learn that Gojira wasn't created or resurrected by the nuclear tests, as I'd thought, but merely displaced from the deeps where he already resided, a surviving relic like the coelacanth. (Although the Jurassic was a lot more than 2 million years ago, guys.)

Rodan, by contrast, is a much more lightweight, superficial kaiju movie, more in keeping with what became the usual formula. There's not a lot of apocalyptic symbolism inherent in a supersonic pteranodon that generates hurricane winds, and there was no core moral dilemma surrounding the climax, just "shoot it a lot." Not nearly as interesting. (I'm recording Mothra now; I'll watch later.)

And is "pteranodon" really such a difficult word to get a handle on? Robert Osborn pronounced it "pteradon" and whoever wrote the subtitles misread it as "petranodon." Though that's not as bad as Osborn thinking Gojira was actually Gojida or Gojita or something.

Old June 16 2012, 06:03 AM   #154
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I didn't catch Gojira but I always liked the American version because I always imagine the other Steve Martin dealing with Godzilla.

ETA: The dubbing of a 50s torch singer on a very Japanese woman in H-Man is frickin' hilarious.

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; June 16 2012 at 06:18 AM.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2012, 08:37 AM   #155
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus

Osborn didn't seem all that enthused when he was introducing Mothra.
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2012, 09:29 AM   #156
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

They showed Rodan in the original Japanese, too.

I taped Hausu. I never heard of it before and it looks pretty freaky.
Old June 16 2012, 02:47 PM   #157
Christopher
Writer

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
So you could hear that they were actually saying "Radon," not "Rodan." I always wondered where the name came from, but it's easy to see how "Radon" is an abbreviation of "pteranodon."

Old June 16 2012, 05:03 PM   #158
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

I saw Gojira, Rodan and Mothra last night.

- Gojira was surprisingly good. I expected some dumb cheesy action movie, but found it to be surprisingly well done. The effects weren't as campy as I was expecting and the story had substance and a good message about the dangers of nuclear technology. I thought it was well made for a 50s Godzilla movie and I'm glad that I finally saw it. I was surprised that Godzilla was destroyed in the end though. So, all those movies don't involve the same monster.

- Rodan wasn't as good, but again, I can't complain too much. It was another introductory film.

- Mothra was a little better than Rodan. It was a little odd with a more fanciful story, but it was interesting, especially when it all came together in the end.

Anyway, it was a good 5 hours. A little tedious in parts, but good. It might have been fun to get some bad dubs, but I'm alright with the original language cuts. Apparently they weren't always easy to find.

Looks like these monsters appear in a lot of movies. I thought there were half a dozen or so, but there are a lot more. I'm also guessing that the others try to capitalize on these originals and are more in line with the cheesy action that I was expecting. I see lots of titles like "Godzilla vs Whatever".
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2012, 05:28 PM   #159
RJDementia13

Christopher wrote: View Post
So you could hear that they were actually saying "Radon," not "Rodan." I always wondered where the name came from, but it's easy to see how "Radon" is an abbreviation of "pteranodon."
I didn't get to see the whole thing, but that makes sense.

Hausu was completely and utterly fantastic. It was made in 1977, so it was a little late for the psychedelic era, but it certainly would have fit right in. I'd describe it as a cross between Laugh-In, Monty Python, The Electric Company and The Legend of Hell House. It's about a bunch of Japanese schoolgirls (and, yes, there is brief nudity) with descriptive nicknames ("Fantasy," "Kung Fu," "Prof" et cetera) who get stuck in a haunted house with one of the girls' aunt, who...

This is the trippiest thing I've seen in a while. If I'd known it would be this far out, I would have gotten some Twisted Tea for accompaniment. If it's on DVD, I'm buying it.
Old June 16 2012, 06:14 PM   #160
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

The TCM host explained that the movie's name was changed to Rodan to distance itself from radon gas as well as a product with the name "Radon".

I didn't see Hausu. It sounds interesting, so I'll have to check it out next time it comes around. Gonna have to google "Twisted Tea" as well.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2012, 07:17 PM   #161
Christopher
Writer

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
The TCM host explained that the movie's name was changed to Rodan to distance itself from radon gas as well as a product with the name "Radon".
Well, he recited a script that contained speculation to that effect. They were presented as two possible explanations, not definite facts.

I've realized something about Gojira. Lives in the remote, hostile depths of the ocean... is unharmed by things that would kill most beings... thrives on radiation... he's an extremophile!

Old June 16 2012, 09:50 PM   #162
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Hausu was completely and utterly fantastic. It was made in 1977, so it was a little late for the psychedelic era, but it certainly would have fit right in. I'd describe it as a cross between Laugh-In, Monty Python, The Electric Company and The Legend of Hell House. It's about a bunch of Japanese schoolgirls (and, yes, there is brief nudity) with descriptive nicknames ("Fantasy," "Kung Fu," "Prof" et cetera) who get stuck in a haunted house with one of the girls' aunt, who...

This is the trippiest thing I've seen in a while. If I'd known it would be this far out, I would have gotten some Twisted Tea for accompaniment. If it's on DVD, I'm buying it.
Glad to hear it. I taped it impulse, but haven't watched it yet. Sounds like I've got something to look forward to!
Old June 16 2012, 11:39 PM   #163
sojourner
Admiral

Was up late last night and caught about 15 minutes of Hausa. Wow, talk about trippy! I think it was heavily influenced by Yellow Submarine.
Old June 17 2012, 12:44 AM   #164
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

That's at least the third time they've shown Hausu (not sure why not just House). Yeah, it's definitely a trippy flick though it seems most Japanese movies are in some way, at least through my Western eyes.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2012, 09:59 AM   #165
RJDementia13

^^ Probably because it's in the original Japanese, not dubbed. I guess I've never noticed it before because the title doesn't really telegraph that it's a genre flick.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Gonna have to google "Twisted Tea" as well.
Good stuff. It's not like the other brand, where you can taste the alcohol. It's very tasty and leaves you with a nice, mellow buzz for those days when you just want to sit around the shanty.

Christopher wrote: View Post
I've realized something about Gojira. Lives in the remote, hostile depths of the ocean... is unharmed by things that would kill most beings... thrives on radiation... he's an extremophile!
I'm surprised nobody has used that as a title for a movie yet.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Glad to hear it. I taped it impulse, but haven't watched it yet. Sounds like I've got something to look forward to!
Oh, yeah. Fasten your seat belt.

sojourner wrote: View Post
Was up late last night and caught about 15 minutes of Hausa. Wow, talk about trippy! I think it was heavily influenced by Yellow Submarine.
That's another good comparison.