RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,713
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 858
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 7 2012, 04:10 PM   #301
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: vampires

There's been a number of Holmes/Dracula books, including Sherlock Holmes versus Dracula by Loren Estleman and The Holmes-Dracula File by Fred Saberhagen, as well as a graphic novel whose name I can't immediately recall.
Old May 7 2012, 04:10 PM   #302
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

timothy wrote: View Post
You may want to read fred sabberhagen who has vampire series and it involves sherlock holmes and dracula.
is that the one where dracula turns out to be Holmes's uncle with Holmes being half-vamp?
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2012, 04:21 PM   #303
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Yep and they are aviable on the nook color.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2012, 04:43 PM   #304
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

reread Blood and Gold a few days ago... still my all time favourite 'Vampire' book...

Marius just kicks ass... 2000+ years old and still bitchslapping the little 'demonic vampires' around... still makes me laugh when the new vampires come up to him... 'we are the children of satan, cursed by christ to...' thats generally as far as they get before Marius immolates them with a dismissive laugh, reminding them that he was around long before Christ or Satan were even ideas in peoples minds lol

M
Old May 8 2012, 10:16 PM   #305
JD
Admiral

Have any of you guys read the Anno Dracula or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series? I really enjoy these kinds of mashups, and both sound pretty cool and seem to have gotten pretty good reviews on places like Amazon.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 10:17 PM   #306
Methos

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

i know the LXG comics series if thats what you're asking about... some of Alan Moore's best work if i'm honest...

M
Old May 8 2012, 10:27 PM   #307
JD
Admiral

Cool. I'm trying to decide if I want to wait and read some of the books it ties into first though. I already have 20KLUTS, Dracula, IM and J&H on my Nook.
Old May 8 2012, 10:29 PM   #308
Methos

never actually gone into the books of the LXG series, though i did really enjoy the comics...

not sure if i'd enjoy the books as much if they weren't written by Alan Moore

M
Old May 8 2012, 10:31 PM   #309
JD
Admiral

No, I meant the books the characters came from, 20,00 Leagues Under the Sea, Dracula, The Invisible Man, and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.
Old May 8 2012, 10:33 PM   #310
Methos

ahh the originals... gotcha

Though actually, i will say that if you enjoy the original characters like Doctor Jeckyll and Mr Hyde, and other 'classics', then i highly recommend looking up the Tv series Sanctuary... you'll love it

M
Old May 8 2012, 10:51 PM   #311
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Have any of you guys read the Anno Dracula or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series? I really enjoy these kinds of mashups, and both sound pretty cool and seem to have gotten pretty good reviews on places like Amazon.
The Anno Dracula books by Kim Newman are definitely worth reading . . . and the more you know about the history of vampire literature, the more you'll enjoy them.
Old May 8 2012, 10:57 PM   #312
JD
Admiral

Methos wrote: View Post
ahh the originals... gotcha

Though actually, i will say that if you enjoy the original characters like Doctor Jeckyll and Mr Hyde, and other 'classics', then i highly recommend looking up the Tv series Sanctuary... you'll love it

M
Oh, I love Sanctuary and that's one of my favorite things about it. I'm still mad they killed Watson and Griffin's grand daughter though.
Old May 8 2012, 11:00 PM   #313
Methos

yeah... Watson could have had some amazing storylines based around The Five...

M
Old June 16 2012, 04:49 PM   #314
timothy
Rear Admiral

House of night #1 marked is on sale for $2.99 on the nook.

Old October 10 2012, 05:34 PM   #315
timothy
Rear Admiral

Kim harrison's into the woods antholgy collection is out this and ever after is ready for preorder.