Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 14 2012, 12:38 PM   #46
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Re: IDW to publish post-Nemesis TNG Borg story, possibly Destiny

Yeah, if I remember right, Dark Empire was originally intended to take place a year or two after Return of the Jedi. If you look at the comic closely, nothing in the first mini says "the New Republic" except for the text pieces preceding each issue; in-story, everyone is still calling it "the Rebellion."
Old June 14 2012, 02:07 PM   #47
Fer
Commander

I seem to recall that Dark Empire handled Leia's pregnancy with Anakin without acknowledging she'd already had Jacen and Jaina, which led me to believe at the time it was a separate continuity from the Thrawn trilogy. I quit reading it pretty early on though, so I could be wrong.

It seemed to me that later works took the two unconnected stories and then tweaked the timeline to make them both fit.

ETA: But getting back to the original point, I would also like to see the occasional comic that does fit in with the current post-Destiny status quo. But since this new mini is going its own way, I doubt IDW would do that, as they'd probably consider two different post-Nemesis comics to be confusing to the casual reader.
Old June 14 2012, 02:19 PM   #48
Christopher
Writer

Fer wrote: View Post
It seemed to me that later works took the two unconnected stories and then tweaked the timeline to make them both fit.
Yeah, they did that a lot. The various Star Wars tie-ins originally went in their own separate directions, as was normal for tie-ins at the time, but then, once the novels and comics were coming along more regularly, Lucasfilm adopted its policy of treating them all as equally real and grafting them together even when they contradicted each other. And I think that's created a false impression in retrospect that they were always meant to be a uniform whole.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2012, 07:18 PM   #49
JD
Admiral

At times I'm amazed by the mental gymnastics that the Lucas people go through to try to make everything consistent.
Old June 15 2012, 11:54 AM   #50
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Anyway, back to the IDW post-Nemesis Borg project.

Brannon Braga returns to Star Trek for Hive:

Celebrating the 25th anniversary of Star Trek: The Next Generation!
In the distant future the entire galaxy has been completely assimilated by Borg and it's king... Locutus! The only hope for the future lies in the past, in the hands of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the starship Enterprise-as Picard faces off against the Borg collective in one final, terrifying and definitive encounter!

Brannon Braga is one of the writers most associated with the Star Trek Franchise. He has written a number of fondly remembered episodes of TNG, including co-writing the two-part series finale, "All Good Things...," for which he won the prestigious Hugo Award. Terry Matalas has written for Star Trek: Enterprise, as well as Terra Nova.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2012, 12:07 PM   #51
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Sounds like fun!
Old June 15 2012, 12:15 PM   #52
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

It sounds like a retread of the Borg Alien Spotlight story...
Old June 15 2012, 01:49 PM   #53
The Wormhole
Admiral

StarTrek.com also discusses Hive along with showing an awesome variant cover. That link also features details and covers of issue 13 of the Abrams Timeline ongoing comic and issue 5 of Assimilation-Squared for those interested.

Anyhoo, I got to say, Braga's involvement with Hive certainly has me intrigued. Braga may not be a popular guy on this forum, but I found his TNG episodes to be enjoyable. They may have at times been weird, but they also had some of the best character moments in TNG.

Admittedly, the plot to Hive has some familiar Braga Tropes (time travel, Borg domination) but I'll be checking it out all the same.
Old June 15 2012, 02:20 PM   #54
Christopher
Writer

I'm surprised they aren't waiting until the whole ST/Who crossover is published before doing a collector's edition of the first half.

And I'm wondering what makes this Romulans Treasury Edition different from the Pawns of War compilation we already have.

Old June 15 2012, 03:05 PM   #55
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm surprised they aren't waiting until the whole ST/Who crossover is published before doing a collector's edition of the first half.
It's so they have something for the book market for this Christmas. At work we think they're doing two trades, one for Christmas, one for early next year, with a hardcover edition collecting the whole thing for next Christmas and Who's 50th-anniversary.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2012, 03:13 PM   #56
Mr. Domino
Lieutenant

And I'm wondering what makes this Romulans Treasury Edition different from the Pawns of War compilation we already have.
In comics, Treasury Editions are oversized compilations of previously printed work. They used to do them all the time in the 70s, and a lot of guys from that era have very fond memories of them - John Byrne, who wrote and drew all the Pawns of War stories, was quite big at that time (and for a while after, but that's beside the point), and so he appeals to that demographic - thus, they're trying to tickle the nostalgia bone a bit.

EDIT: I also find it highly amusing, on the subject of divergent versions of the timeline, that the image of Picard they've used for the cover to Hive # 1 is the same one we're getting on the cover of Brinkmanship. Frowny Picard is frowny.

Last edited by Mr. Domino; June 15 2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Mr. Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2012, 04:04 PM   #57
Relayer1
Commodore

Fer wrote: View Post
I seem to recall that Dark Empire handled Leia's pregnancy with Anakin without acknowledging she'd already had Jacen and Jaina, which led me to believe at the time it was a separate continuity from the Thrawn trilogy. I quit reading it pretty early on though, so I could be wrong.

ETA: But getting back to the original point, I would also like to see the occasional comic that does fit in with the current post-Destiny status quo. But since this new mini is going its own way, I doubt IDW would do that, as they'd probably consider two different post-Nemesis comics to be confusing to the casual reader.
But there's always the possibility of them deliberately doing some stories in the IDW continuity that are compatible with the novel canon as well...
Old June 15 2012, 04:12 PM   #58
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

And I'm wondering what makes this Romulans Treasury Edition different...
Size/format?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2012, 04:14 PM   #59
Christopher
Writer

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
But there's always the possibility of them deliberately doing some stories in the IDW continuity that are compatible with the novel canon as well...
I don't think there is a single IDW continuity. Some of their miniseries have contradicted each other. For instance, I believe Year Four: The Enterprise Experiment and Romulans: Pawns of War handled things like the cloaking device and late-2260s UFP/Klingon/Romulan relations and conflicts in incompatible ways.

And there already are a few IDW stories compatible with the prose; there's the New Frontier comic and the Alien Spotlight and Captain's Log one-shots by Keith R. A. DeCandido.

Old June 15 2012, 04:22 PM   #60
Relayer1
Commodore

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I don't think there is a single IDW continuity. Some of their miniseries have contradicted each other. For instance, I believe Year Four: The Enterprise Experiment and Romulans: Pawns of War handled things like the cloaking device and late-2260s UFP/Klingon/Romulan relations and conflicts in incompatible ways.

And there already are a few IDW stories compatible with the prose; there's the New Frontier comic and the Alien Spotlight and Captain's Log one-shots by Keith R. A. DeCandido.
Excellent - I'll look them up...