RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,717
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 597
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old June 15 2012, 03:20 AM   #241
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

That ... that doesn't make any sense, at all, and I'm really wondering where you've heard such a suggestion. There isn't anywhere near enough square footage in the concourse to fit everything in the Hall of Fame (its website says the museum has more than 38,000 artifacts, three million books and documents and 500,000 photographs, and the building is three feet tall), and it's not like exhibits could be kept outside. Moving the Hall of Fame to any outdoor stadium is basically completely unfeasible, and it's not like there's a reason to move it from Cooperstown in the first place.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2012, 03:22 AM   #242
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Timby wrote: View Post
That ... that doesn't make any sense, at all, and I'm really wondering where you've heard such a suggestion.
It was on baseball-fever.com.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2012, 03:24 AM   #243
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Between "Telephone Park" and moving the Hall of Fame to Wrigley Field, I'm thinking you should stop reading that website, or at the very least stop re-posting things you read on it, because they make no sense whatsoever.
Old June 15 2012, 03:29 AM   #244
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ trust me, the strangest thing you ever hear somebody say on that site is chump change compared to this place. It doesn't even have its own TNZ.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old June 15 2012, 03:48 AM   #245
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I saw my first Cubs game at Wrigley just two years ago. I loved Wrigley, don't want the Cubs to play anywhere else.

The Cubs have approached Ryan Dempster about waiving his 10 - 5 rights, and Matt Garza expects to be on a different team by July 31, so the team's housecleaning seems ready to begin. Now if they can just fix -- or, better yet, replace -- that garbage scow of a stadium...

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2012, 03:55 AM   #246
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I grew up in Chicago. Used to go to 15 games a year.

It's a great place to watch a game.

It's an absolute shithole for players.
Old June 15 2012, 03:59 AM   #247
Skywalker
Admiral

I feel the same way about Fenway. Great history and all that, but a modern facility would be nice.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2012, 04:01 AM   #248
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Whose exactly the hell idea was it to argue for an overturn of the hit during Dickey's last Met start? What a dumbass move that was. R.A. wouldn't want to get a no-no this way. And we all know the call will not be overturned anyway. So why bother?

Look, I like Terry Collins, but if this was his idea, he's got a case of recto-cranial insertion.
Old June 15 2012, 04:16 AM   #249
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I'm with you on this, that was a hit. No way no how is a ruling change going to be made. If they didn't overturn Galarraga near perfect game, they aren't even seriously considering this 50/50 at best chance to throw him out.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Whose exactly the hell idea was it to argue for an overturn of the hit during Dickey's last Met start? What a dumbass move that was. R.A. wouldn't want to get a no-no this way. And we all know the call will not be overturned anyway. So why bother?

Look, I like Terry Collins, but if this was his idea, he's got a case of recto-cranial insertion.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2012, 09:14 AM   #250
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

As for SF: Over on the baseball board I asked if the Giants could play one last game at Candlestick before they tear it down, but apparently that's not possible (the football bleachers are stuck there now). How d'you feel about that, Flux?

Was the Stick really as bitter cold during night games as I keep hearing?
I suppose it'd make for a cool bit of nostalgia for them to play there one more time, but at the same time...The Stick was the home of the '60-'99 Giants and should remain that way. And yes, they built the place in the exact worst spot where the wind from the Bay would whirl around inside. I have distinct memories of going to games and freezing our orange and black asses off. AT&T gets cold, but nowhere near the level of The Stick.

That ... that doesn't make any sense, at all, and I'm really wondering where you've heard such a suggestion.
It was on baseball-fever.com.
Yeah, I'm all aboard the "stop quoting that site" train along with Timby. They clearly don't know what they're talking about over there. For what it's worth, most fans just call it "AT&T Park" while some still refer to it's original name, Pac Bell Park, although there are many that would prefer Mays Field. I just call it "home away from home."

Last edited by Flux Capacitor; June 15 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Flux Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2012, 01:27 PM   #251
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I grew up in Chicago. Used to go to 15 games a year.

It's a great place to watch a game.

It's an absolute shithole for players.
Forgetting the falling concrete, I wonder about the condition of the structure you can't see. Have they ever x-rayed all those exposed beams?

Then add the cramped conditions, the cramped location, etc. I wonder if it's possible all those things affect morale in the long term.

I mean, they go to all those great new parks and see what they're like, then they go back to Wrigley.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2012, 04:25 PM   #252
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Then add the cramped conditions, the cramped location, etc. I wonder if it's possible all those things affect morale in the long term.

I mean, they go to all those great new parks and see what they're like, then they go back to Wrigley.
It's bad enough for Cubs players, given the antiquated workout and practice facilities, people in the bullpen staring right at the sun, a near-total lack of amenities, the cramped conditions, so on and so forth -- those have even had a measure of improvement over the last decade or so, and they're still shit.

When visiting players come into Wrigley Field, they must feel like they just went back to the minors. The visitors' clubhouse in Wrigley is one step up from a closet, and for fuck's sake, the batting cage is underneath the right field bleachers.

If fucking Yankee Stadium can be blown up and replaced, the Cubs can get the hell out of Wrigley.
Old June 16 2012, 03:34 AM   #253
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

If that same play happens in the 8th or 9th inning of that game, instead of the first, I'll bet my lunch they call it an error.

Dickey is a nice story and having a great start to the year. He's gotta be a favorite to start the all-star game at this point. If he is still pitching like this in September, we can discuss the Cy Young.

I went to Wrigley about 10 years ago. It was cool to check it out, but it can't shake a stick at the modern stadiums over the last 15-20 years or so. Fenway is a pit with awful sight lines. I'm not sure where you'd build a new one though. I don't know as much about Wrigley, but I lived along the train line that goes past Fenway for 4 years so I know that area well. It's pinned in by the surrounding neighborhoods pretty well.

I went to college in the Bronx, and saw a lot of games at the old Yankee Stadium when they were winning titles around 2000. It wasn't much to behold, and while the new stadium looks awesome, it's still in an awful area. Citi Field is nice, but felt really sterile when I went, like a neutral site. It's also oddly angular and played like an airplane hangar until the moved in the fences. There's also nothing near the stadium as far as restaurants or bars to make an evening out of it. A flask on the 7 train is the way to go.

I'm all for new stadiums with nice amenities and other things to do nearby. Foxborough is in the middle of nowhere, but they got it right with Patriot Place.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2012, 03:37 AM   #254
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Fenway is a pit with awful sight lines. I'm not sure where you'd build a new one though.
The new Fenway would have been built between Brookline Avenue and Boylston Street. Basically right next to the old one.
Old June 16 2012, 03:44 AM   #255
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Interesting. I'm still not sure how they would have pulled it off given that the existing one abuts I-90, the commuter rail, and the T.

I used to see docs in the Longwood Area. I would go for blood work in the morning, then back for my appointment later in the afternoon. I spent a lot of time - when I wasn't gorging myself in Chinatown - hanging around that area. The timing never worked to go to a game since I always had to be back to see the doctor at 3:30 or 4.

4 years in Boston and I never went, how pathetic. Or the Celtics or Bruins, who both won titles when I was there. Took in plenty of Pats games though, including a couple of snow bowls.

I got a short season A ball team near me, they should be starting right about now, I really need to take in a game.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote