Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old May 9 2012, 01:42 AM   #871
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile
Re: "Polaris"

Harvey wrote: View Post
Looks great. Is it really a "fan film," though?
Interesting question. Polaris really does blur the line between "fan production" and "independent production". Dennis will (of course) correct me if I'm wrong, but I really feel like he tried to find the best people available from the pool of "fan film" talents on both sides of the camera. Some have professional experience, so it's not just a bunch of fans saying "hey kids, let's put on a SHOW!", but the total budget probably wouldn't buy lunch (to coin a phrase) for most "professional" productions.
MikeH92467 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 01:52 AM   #872
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

View Melonpool's Twitter Profile

I feel like Polaris (and to some extent, what I'm trying to do) is the natural evolution of the fan film. Instead of making something that's a carbon copy of an established property, we're trying to use the talents that usually go into a fan film to create something that's new and original, yet still has the elements we loved of the source material.

What's more, unlike a fan film, it's something that theoretically could be sold without Paramount or CBS or whoever owns the copyright having any say in the matter.
Old May 9 2012, 03:59 AM   #873
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

You guys have it, more or less.

It's not a "fan film," no. It's a fairly ambitious short film being shot on an extremely limited budget (our tongue-in-cheek motto is "ten pounds of potatoes in a five-pound sack") by volunteers many of whom have worked primarily on fan films in the past. We're trying to leverage what we've learned and the various improvisations we've come up with on fan films to do something original (in the sense,at least, of not being derived directly from an existing property).

And yeah, it belongs to us - we have at least the possibility of recouping our investment, since no IP lawyers from the studios have any reason to get involved.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 08:49 AM   #874
Harvey
Admiral

Do you guys have any idea how you are going to monetize the thing? Or is it too early to ask such a question? Either way, it looks very ambitious, and I'm looking forward to it far more than I am any fan films out there.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 02:36 PM   #875
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It is early but yeah, we have some ideas.

Keeping a lid on costs has helped a lot.
Old May 17 2012, 03:27 PM   #876
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Visual effects by NEO f/x
Old May 17 2012, 05:30 PM   #877
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Love it!
Old June 8 2012, 10:57 PM   #878
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Has there been any discussion amongst the Polaris crew about the new Space Command show Doug Drexler et al are putting together? Do you have any sense of competition with the new guys? Do you think you'll have a release first? You have a pretty good crew -- has there been any crossover from your production team to theirs?
Old June 9 2012, 02:37 AM   #879
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Psion wrote: View Post
Has there been any discussion amongst the Polaris crew about the new Space Command show Doug Drexler et al are putting together? Do you have any sense of competition with the new guys? Do you think you'll have a release first? You have a pretty good crew -- has there been any crossover from your production team to theirs?
To my knowledge there isn't any competition. I don't know who'll get out there first. The advantage they have is they're raising money to pay people, and it's easier to make a production move faster when people can make it a full-time job for a period of time.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2012, 02:16 PM   #880
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I think that those are all "No," other than that we've watched the progress of the Kickstarter fundraising campaign with obvious interest and have discussed that a bit.
Old June 14 2012, 07:40 PM   #881
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I think that those are all "No," other than that we've watched the progress of the Kickstarter fundraising campaign with obvious interest and have discussed that a bit.
I wonder how many projects like Space Command can be supported by Kickstarter before the huge interest shown starts to wear off. I don't think Kickstarter has come close to its total potential audience yet, but when it does there'll have to be an upper limit to the amount of money that can be raised for similar projects.

I'm a bit surprised, though, that your response indicates that you think Space Command will beat you to release. Good-natured snark about Exeter's delays aside, your team is pretty good and you've already got all your principal photography in the can (right?). Is the Space Command team so good that you expect they'll still beat you to release?

I'm assuming here that your production and theirs are in the same "market" ... a SF web production; both with potential for becoming full-blown web series. There's certainly plenty of room in fandom for both. Do you think that both shows are likely to be compared to each other?

Maurice and Dennis, thanks for your responses!
Old June 14 2012, 10:40 PM   #882
Maurice
Vice Admiral

As I said before, Space Command will be paying people, which will make it possible for them to treat the work like a job for a period of time. On Polaris it's all volunteer labor, so we can't just sit down and put 40 hours weeks in. Yes, we have principle photography finished, but these sci-fi shows have tons of post-production. If this show weren't laden with VFX and sound effects it would be done already. For example, there are something like 15 shots with visual effects elements in the opening scene, not counting what's on the viewscreen or cuts of the spaceships from the outside.
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; June 15 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2012, 12:21 AM   #883
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

View Melonpool's Twitter Profile

Do you think a Kickstarter campaign would be helpful for you guys to finish? Our little production is going to have one soon to get money to buy a better camera -- which would be a lot less than the $75000 Space Command was asking for. But if you guys could raise about $3-5000, it might be enough to pay someone to devote some real time to the post production needs.

We, on the other hand. are trying to get by with next-to-no post production.
Old June 15 2012, 04:48 AM   #884
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

I'm curious about the tax implications of money gained through a Kickstarter campaign.
Old June 15 2012, 02:57 PM   #885
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Well, one would sure be foolish not to play by the rules.