RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,547
Posts: 5,513,432
Members: 25,143
Currently online: 548
Newest member: ShadowL

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Plagues of Night.
Outstanding 59 52.68%
Above Average 35 31.25%
Average 11 9.82%
Below Average 5 4.46%
Poor 2 1.79%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 13 2012, 03:49 PM   #346
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
Terok Nor is old and lived a hard life. I imagine its structure is riddled with micro fractures. You can only maintain and refurbish such structure defects so much, take it from an aerospace engineer.
Deep Space 9 isn't that old. Construction began in 2346 and finished in 2351 -- it's only about 37 years old as of the end of Plagues of Night. By contrast, numerous Federation starships and starbases are actually much older than Deep Space 9 -- the entire run of Excelsior- and Miranda-class starships, for instance.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 03:52 PM   #347
Mike Winters
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Bensalem, PA
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
For such a strategically vital station I'm sure they can cobble together some old Cardassian tech from other sources, or install a shiny new Starfleet doohicky. The Corps of Engineers have done a lot harder jobs. If only they hadn't misplaced Scotty...
Except that they can't do that easily. If they could have, they would have been able to pull it off in the aftermath of Avatar. Instead, the only thing they could do in a reasonable time frame was to do some warp/tractor magic using a number of ships to bring Empok Nor to the Bajor system. I am sure that the SCE has been working off and on since the Federation took over to try and marry Federation and Cardassian Tech.

Right now, if the station survived, you have a severely compromised station (imagine the damage that an explosion like that in close proximity could inflict) and no power core readily available (again)...
Mike Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 04:02 PM   #348
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Mike Winters wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
For such a strategically vital station I'm sure they can cobble together some old Cardassian tech from other sources, or install a shiny new Starfleet doohicky. The Corps of Engineers have done a lot harder jobs. If only they hadn't misplaced Scotty...
Except that they can't do that easily. If they could have, they would have been able to pull it off in the aftermath of Avatar. Instead, the only thing they could do in a reasonable time frame was to do some warp/tractor magic using a number of ships to bring Empok Nor to the Bajor system. I am sure that the SCE has been working off and on since the Federation took over to try and marry Federation and Cardassian Tech.

Right now, if the station survived, you have a severely compromised station (imagine the damage that an explosion like that in close proximity could inflict) and no power core readily available (again)...
To be fair, the Cardassian industrial base has recovered a great deal from the Dominion War by 2383, and Federation-Cardassian relations are much warmer than they were in 2376. It's not implausible that finding a replacement power core for Nor-class stations is easier in 2383 than in 2376.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946

Last edited by Sci; June 13 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 04:17 PM   #349
Enterpriserules
Commodore
 
Enterpriserules's Avatar
 
Location: On an Andorian Atlire-class escort cruisers, the Mat-Rus. From "The Poisoned Chalice
View Enterpriserules's Twitter Profile
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

shanejayell wrote: View Post
It's interesting how much the book slags Terok Nor, really. *lol* Prynn disses it, Picard disses it, the Militia guy disses it.... doesn't anybody like the poor station?
I always loved DS9's interior, I guess I am more tolerant of other species and achitecture than Picard and Starfleet types.
__________________
My Blog is www.42lifeinbetween.wordpress.com and I am the host of the general geek show The 602 Club and the co-host of Literary Treks and The Orb podcasts.
Enterpriserules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 06:46 PM   #350
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain
 
MatthiasRussell's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Sci wrote: View Post
MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
Terok Nor is old and lived a hard life. I imagine its structure is riddled with micro fractures. You can only maintain and refurbish such structure defects so much, take it from an aerospace engineer.
Deep Space 9 isn't that old. Construction began in 2346 and finished in 2351 -- it's only about 37 years old as of the end of Plagues of Night. By contrast, numerous Federation starships and starbases are actually much older than Deep Space 9 -- the entire run of Excelsior- and Miranda-class starships, for instance.
True. But is also doing work it was not designed to do. I don't think it was meant to be caught in front line battles, endure the gravitation loads of a nearby wormhole, or even the high volume of docking activity it experienced when it went from an ore processing station to a military and commercial outpost.
__________________
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"
MatthiasRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 07:42 PM   #351
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral
 
Location: On the USS Sovereign
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

With the state of the Federation, I doubt it has the resources to completely replace the DS9 in a short period of time.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 07:48 PM   #352
Mike Winters
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Bensalem, PA
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Sci wrote: View Post
Mike Winters wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
For such a strategically vital station I'm sure they can cobble together some old Cardassian tech from other sources, or install a shiny new Starfleet doohicky. The Corps of Engineers have done a lot harder jobs. If only they hadn't misplaced Scotty...
Except that they can't do that easily. If they could have, they would have been able to pull it off in the aftermath of Avatar. Instead, the only thing they could do in a reasonable time frame was to do some warp/tractor magic using a number of ships to bring Empok Nor to the Bajor system. I am sure that the SCE has been working off and on since the Federation took over to try and marry Federation and Cardassian Tech.

Right now, if the station survived, you have a severely compromised station (imagine the damage that an explosion like that in close proximity could inflict) and no power core readily available (again)...
To be fair, the Cardassian industrial base has recovered a great deal from the Dominion War by 2383, and Federation-Cardassian relations are much warmer than they were in 2376. It's not implausible that finding a replacement power core for Nor-class stations is easier in 2383 than in 2376.
You are correct that the industrial base has been rebuilt since the end of the war, but the real questions would be:

But whether or not there is the ability to manufacture the core and the power components are another story. Given the age of the stations, they could have been phased out and the facilities to build components been closed or re-tooled.

Even with a manufacturing base up and running, it still might not be possible to build the replacement components.
Mike Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 07:53 PM   #353
Mike Winters
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Bensalem, PA
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
With the state of the Federation, I doubt it has the resources to completely replace the DS9 in a short period of time.
I agree. But if DS9 was destroyed, and the station on the cover of the next novel is a replacement (pure conjecture as it could be a Gamma Quadrant station which has been the thought for a long time), it could be a station that was being built elsewhere that was moved. Maybe one from the Andorian system since I doubt the Federation/Starfleet would allow Federation/Starfleet property to remain in system.

Who is to say it has to be a complete from scratch construction.
Mike Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 08:42 PM   #354
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain
 
MatthiasRussell's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
With the state of the Federation, I doubt it has the resources to completely replace the DS9 in a short period of time.
The station on the cover of Raise the Dawn doesn't look too big. It is also modular so it looks like most of the construction doesn't take place on site, more like assemblying the nodes.

Due to the size of the station on the cover, I'm hoping it isn't a replacement.
__________________
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"
MatthiasRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 10:01 PM   #355
Paris
Commodore
 
Paris's Avatar
 
Location: In the future's past
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I just finished, and i'm really impressed. I'm one of the people who really liked RBoE, and this book felt like the perfect continuation to a lot of the elements from that book. The Romulan politics, the Sisko arc, Spock. Happyhappyhappy. Can't wait for Raise the Dawn on June 26
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 10:08 PM   #356
shanejayell
Captain
 
shanejayell's Avatar
 
Location: BC, Canada
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Another reason we might see it replaced is because DS9 has been doing stuff it wasn't DESIGNED to do.

Terok Nor was built to be a ore relay station.

It is not:
A battle station
A Traffic Control Hub
A Diplomatic headquarters
A scientific research station

All of which are jobs DS9 has had to do. Maybe it's time to scrap it and build a starbase actually designed to do the job.
__________________
Avatar: Priss Asagiri, Bubblegum Crisis
shanejayell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 11:24 PM   #357
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral
 
Deranged Nasat's Avatar
 
Location: Ch'Rihan.
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Gah, my copy still isn't here! I'm getting impatient!
__________________
We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 11:48 PM   #358
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Gah, my copy still isn't here! I'm getting impatient!
There's a reason I've switched to eBooks.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2012, 03:09 AM   #359
Kertrats47
Commodore
 
Kertrats47's Avatar
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Sci wrote: View Post
Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Gah, my copy still isn't here! I'm getting impatient!
There's a reason I've switched to eBooks.
Agreed! I may not be able to get it early like some folks, but a guarantee to start reading it on the release date isn't bad at all. Plus, I'm in Korea, and sadly the newest book I see on the shelves in the large bookstores here in Seoul is last year's Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony.
__________________
Trek Lit Reviews (Dept. of Temporal Investigations: The Collectors by Christopher L. Bennett - December 20, 2014)
2014 Star Trek Book Releases
Kertrats47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2012, 06:16 AM   #360
BrentMc
Lieutenant Commander
 
BrentMc's Avatar
 
Location: California U.S.A.
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I just finished Plagues of Night. I enjoyed the book very much. I gave it an above average. I like to save the top ranking for my favorite books and I wish there was a rating between outstanding and above average.

I found the book pretty exciting, so I left a note on DRGIII's facebook page. I'm sorry to read he doesn't post here anymore. I'm sure when you work really hard on something it is hard to hear people complain.

I am not sad DS9 exploded. If we find out it is destroyed at the beginning of Raise the Dawn I will be OK with it. DS9 feels like a funeral to me, because it was never about the station; it was the people who made it great and many of them have moved on. I would rather read a DS9 novel set during the series than one with a new crew.

I have not read all the back posts. I read a few posts about the station on the cover of Raise the Dawn. Did anyone suggest that it could be a uncloaked Typhon pact station that appears as Enterprise comes through the wormhole?

I will be glad when Prynn buries Vaughn. It needs to be done already.

I wonder how everyone will feel when they learn Kira warned Kassidy after her vision, but let the ship meet its doom with all those people on board. (if they survive the station explosion).

I think Kassidy would have left Rebecca on Bajor on the first run of evacuees.

Are the quantum torpedoes those future torpedoes from Voyager Endgame? I think they seemed so powerful in Destiny, but don't seem as powerful here.

All in all I enjoyed the book. Any thoughts on my remarks are welcome.
BrentMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
reviewpoll_v1

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.