TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 12 2012, 06:43 AM   #16
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Re: The All-New DALLAS!

I don't remember much of the show as it ended when I was still pretty young, but I wanted to add that the remix of the theme song sounded great when I saw a promo in a theater.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 03:32 PM   #17
Agent Richard07
Retired

Larry Hagman is fighting cancer...

The actor has spoken for the first time about his struggle to survive cancer, revealing that he has overhauled his life to fight the disease – becoming vegan in the process – and that his doctors are delighted with the response so far.

'The first thing I did when I was diagnosed was to turn vegan. Now I live on fresh vegetable drinks which taste like crap but which I firmly believe have helped me get through this thing.'

Hagman, 80, is back in Dallas to film a new series of the hit Eighties TV show.
Read the whole thing.

And remember, the two-hour premiere is tonight.

From what I understand, the focus will be mainly on the younger characters, but I hope the originals also get a good amount of screentime. I'm also hoping that George Kennedy makes an appearance.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 04:22 PM   #18
Knight Templar
Commodore

I don't see it as being all that successful once the nostalgia wears off.

People forget that the original Dallas arguably lasted three or four seasons too long and ended more with a wimper (at best) than a bang.

I think a big part of the success of the original was the novelty of the series. It was a prime time soap opera (which was rare in those days) and the setting was completely unique.

Basically sin and sex in the southwest.

I wonder if they will revive Dynasty now to counter program...
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 05:18 PM   #19
lennier1
Rear Admiral

It's not so much "I want five more seasons of that" as it's "I wonder what happened to them?" that drives the show.
I don't know about the others, but as long as they get one season that's worth watching and ties up a few knots, the effort seems justified to me.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 05:55 PM   #20
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

It sounds to me like they're taking a cue from the successful Canadian Degrassi The Next Generation series, in that while it has been a long-running franchise, some of the actors that were in the original series back in the 80's came back and were as much a part of the new show as the new kids were, and even had some storylines focused on them, extending their development and adding depth to the overall series. I've never seen another series go this route until now, and it does make me hope that this becomes a trend instead of rebooting all the time.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 06:19 PM   #21
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

YOu simply can never go back--what made originals appealing were due to a combination of factors unique to a certain point in time and in the viewers' lives. That is why so many resurrections/reboots fail. Viewers think they would love an old show to come back or have a reunion but it never is the same and they are left feeling like it would have been better just to leave the series dead and have that pining but it never being fulfilled.

It also doesn't help that they usually just have the old cast as props and not the focus.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 06:32 PM   #22
Knight Templar
Commodore

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
YOu simply can never go back--what made originals appealing were due to a combination of factors unique to a certain point in time and in the viewers' lives. That is why so many resurrections/reboots fail. Viewers think they would love an old show to come back or have a reunion but it never is the same and they are left feeling like it would have been better just to leave the series dead and have that pining but it never being fulfilled.

It also doesn't help that they usually just have the old cast as props and not the focus.
True.

Everything is better in retrospect. I remember watching the A-Team in the mid 1980s and being absolutely glued to the screen.

Now I see reruns and I spend half my time cringing. After 20 years have passed, you remember a tv shows great moments that might've occurred every two or three episodes. You forget that there were about 90 minutes of crap that you quickly forgot in between.

In regards to Dallas, for every "Who shot J.R." there was also a "Bobby in the shower".
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 11:32 PM   #23
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I was deemed too young to watch Dallas when it was originally on, so this is all pretty new to me (though I'm certainly not ignorant of cultural touchstones like "Who Shot J.R.?" and "Bobby in the shower"). The previews look pretty good, so I'm going to give this a shot.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 11:34 PM   #24
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

I didn't watch Dallas much when I was a kid, though I distinctly remember "Who Shot J.R."-mania overtaking my school when I was in sixth grade.
Old June 14 2012, 12:04 AM   #25
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Wow... I was about two months old when J.R. was shot, so I guess I wouldn't remember.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2012, 01:08 AM   #26
BennyRussel
Commander

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
Wow... I was about two months old when J.R. was shot, so I guess I wouldn't remember.
BennyRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2012, 03:55 AM   #27
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I watched most of the original, except the last couple seasons.

Figured I'd give this one a shot, pretty much based on nostalgia.

So far, pretty good. Not original series great, but good.

Just enough mix of the old cast and the new ones don't do too bad.

I'll keep watching.

Also, Linda Grey has aged pretty well, Charlene Tilton, not so much.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2012, 04:10 AM   #28
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

I just got home. Have to catch the repeat...

Edit: Caught the final scene when JR meets Marta. Tells me all I need to know.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2012, 04:22 AM   #29
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

I'll keep watching. The end of the first half was what sucked me in.

Now, time to start the theorizing.

Since they are letting the originals take a front seat along with the youngun's, I'm going to wager:

500 quatloos each on these:

1. Cliff Barnes is involved somewhere. My bet is he's one of John Ross' mysterious investors and is hiding his identity.

2. The person who sent the mysterious email that broke up Elaina and Christopher is Pam. I read the producers want her back, and her story was left open-ended.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2012, 04:47 AM   #30
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Naah, even the presence of the iconic characters isn't enough. The kids just remind me of all the reasons I don't watch the WB.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote