Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 5 2012, 02:22 AM   #196
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Holy ....! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

^^Book stores are fine if you're looking for the graphic novel compilations of a particular comic book series, but for actual comic books you're better off at an actual comic book store.
Old June 5 2012, 03:08 AM   #197
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Agreed. Speaking for myself, I am going to wait for the compilation of this one.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 12:11 PM   #198
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
Speaking for myself, I am going to wait for the compilation of this one.
There's definitely going to be two volumes -- the first, covering issues 1 through 4, is out in September (and up for order on Amazon already); the second, covering the rest of the series, will be out in spring.

At work we think, but don't actually know, that IDW will then do a hardcover collecting all eight issues in time for next Christmas (and the Doctor Who 50th anniversary), since the first trade paperback will be out in time for this Christmas and the Next Generation 25th-anniversary. Also, Star Trek/Legion is getting a hardcover this month, Infestation got a hardcover last year. It wouldn't make sense for IDW to miss out on doing a complete hardcover.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 06:49 PM   #199
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Pesonally, I think the art will grow on everyone by the time the series is done.
Only if it gets better and looks less photoshopped.
Old June 8 2012, 11:38 AM   #200
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ Agreed.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 12:09 PM   #201
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Firstly. I rather liked the art.

I was meaning to get the e-copy of this and the a hard copy when it was completed, but my brother put aside a copy in the local comic shop. Anyway, I thought it was fun, a good teaser/introduction to the series and it didn't leave me disappointed, it actually felt like I was reading an adaptation of an episode with the dialog between The Doctor and the Ponds.

The next issue with The Doctor and the Ponds interacting with the Enterprise crew should be interesting and I for one, can't wait.

Here's what the best Sci Fi magazine in the World, SFX have to say on the matter in their review.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 01:19 AM   #202
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

After a shipping mishap and a week of hellish deadlines, I finally read the first issue.

I liked it well enough. But it's also a comic that's easy to feel ambivalent about. What it does, it does decently well. The painted artwork, though very nice, took some adjustment to accept, and the dialogue rang true to me. The opening prologue has potential, and then we're into the ancient Egypt interlude which is easy to dismiss as a pointless runaround designed solely to introduce Star Trek audiences to the Doctor Who cast, though I suspect the green thing will turn out to be Chekhov's gun in the third act. That's the problem, though I know this is the first issue of an eight-part series, on its own this issue feels very insubstantial. It doesn't deliver on the promise of its covers.

Though I understand dramatically why the last page reveal happens (it's the same reason the first issue of Avengers Vs. X-Men] runs in place until you reach the final pages and Cyclops goes off the deep end -- the story's setting you up for an artificial dramatic moment), I would have liked to see something different that brought the Doctor and his companions into contact with the Enterprise crew earlier. Maybe the Doctor materializes the TARDIS in the Enterprise's dolphin tanks, causing all sorts of mayhem. Or something maybe screwball, like "Partners in Crime," where the Doctor and the Enterprise crew are working on the same thing in parallel until, finally, they bump into one another. As it is, the story starts out with a certain languorousness that doesn't put its best foot forward. This doesn't feel like the start of an event, this feels like the next issue in IDW's ongoing Who series.

allyngibson.net
Old June 13 2012, 11:36 PM   #203
Aldo
Admiral

Whats the deal with this release schedule? I went into my comic shop expecting to pick up issue 2, only to find out it won't be in for another two weeks?

I now see how the trade coming out in October will only contain the first six issues.
Old June 14 2012, 12:48 AM   #204
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
Whats the deal with this release schedule? I went into my comic shop expecting to pick up issue 2, only to find out it won't be in for another two weeks?
The first issue only came out two weeks ago (May 31st). It's on a monthly schedule.

Aldo wrote: View Post
I now see how the trade coming out in October will only contain the first six issues.
First four issues. It's due out a week before issue #5 in mid-September.

allyngibson.net
Old June 14 2012, 01:04 AM   #205
Aldo
Admiral

D'oh! I even asked earlier in the thread if this was on a monthly schedule. I suppose I'm getting spoiled by the weekly release of "Before Watchmen" and the bi-Monthly release of Avengers vs. X-Men.
Old June 16 2012, 03:11 PM   #206
StCoop
Commodore

Tony Lee quits project:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/...tor-who-comic/
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2012, 04:34 PM   #207
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I just saw that story. I wonder what the "special anniversary book" is going to turn out to be.

Old June 16 2012, 05:24 PM   #208
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

There are times Rich Johnston does valuable work, and there are times the man's a total shitstirrer.

This is a case of the latter.

Tony Lee himself said in response to Rich's article:
Where it's true I have left the book after issue four, it was after discussions with IDW, discussions that also involved my next project and the legwork needed to ensure it could hit the ground running, legwork that would interrupt my duties on this book. I was involved in the plotting of all eight issues, but as for scripting I will indeed be reading it as a fan with the others when it comes out.

As for relations breaking down with the Tiptons, the last time I spoke to them we had no issues, and they understood why I was moving onto the next project.

I couldn't possibly comment on anything else involving the book because as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing worth commenting on.

The cover does look pretty swish though!

allyngibson.net
Old June 17 2012, 06:23 AM   #209
ClayinCA
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
There are times Rich Johnston does valuable work, and there are times the man's a total shitstirrer.

This is a case of the latter.
Indeed. Several posts later, Scott Tipton dropped in to say:

So let me get this straight.

Johnston runs this bullshit story and its misleading headline without talking to any of the principals involved. I know he didn’t talk to me, and I'm on Twitter, on Facebook and my own heavily trafficked web site, so I'm not hard to find.

Then Tony Lee tells him that there's no acrimony, that our relationship was and is completely fine, and Johnston continues to run the same misleading untrue headline, and follows Tony's statement with another sentence of his own full of outright lies.

Unbelievable.

For the record, to echo Tony, there were and are absolutely no hard feelings or bad blood between he and my brother and I. Tony provided valuable input on the first four scripts, with good material that we happily incorporated into the series.

Anyone who reads this site should be aware, as I now am, that Johnston will cheerfully run lies and falsehoods if he thinks it will get him a few more visitors.
Seriously, Johnson doesn't have enough muckraking to do with the Big Two?
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2012, 04:01 PM   #210
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

This kind of behavior and conduct on Rich's part combined with the attitude is what constantly amazes me about him. He really doesn't care except to get the scoop or story out.