Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 11 2012, 08:27 PM   #331
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

DarthTom wrote: View Post
ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
In myth, Prometheus makes man from clay, sides with the gods against the titans, and steals fire from the gods and gives it to man, only to be condemned for it. So, I suppose the "Prometheus" we see at the beginning of the film is part of one faction of engineers that creates and guides human life, against the will or law of their race, while the ones we see at the end of the film are part of another faction seeking to destroy their works. Their enemies. If the "good engineers" gave us fire, that is technology 2000 years ago, perhaps the "evil engineers" are out to destroy the perceived threat of us. Or maybe to them, all or them, Earth was just a petri dish that served its purpose, and now goes to decon.

Just a guess.

Oh, and A-. It was great.
That is a reasonable explanation. And I agree this is the best sci-fi flick IMO since Trek XI.

Regarding box office totals the film brought in $50 million in the US.

And, worldwide its brought in $141 million

It cost Fox and estimated $130 million to make the film and as pointed out 1/2 the cost The Avengers did.

However, Avengers is up to over $1 billion in box office receipts worldwide so at this point Prometheus has just barely paid for itself.
Prometheus will make a bit more at the cinema in other territories and with rental, Bluray and DVD sales a good bit more. I think we'll get 'Attack of the Xenomorphs' and 'Revenge of the Space Jockeys'.

I hope so - I really enjoyed the first part and really have to believe that its stupidity will be explained away.

And before you scoff - 90% of my problems with Trek XI were explained away to my satisfaction by posters on this site, so it could happen...
Old June 11 2012, 09:05 PM   #332
Warped9
Admiral

...I agree this is the best sci-fi flick IMO since Trek XI.
Kill me. I could never even remotely envision ST09 and Prometheus being mentioned in the same breath. The latter is actually good while the former is shit.
Old June 11 2012, 09:12 PM   #333
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

XI = 11 actually, but mostly agreed. They may both be sci-fi but not the same type of movie which I would find difficult to compare.
Old June 11 2012, 09:21 PM   #334
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

zakkrusz wrote: View Post
XI = 11 actually, but mostly agreed. They may both be sci-fi but not the same type of movie which I would find difficult to compare.
I think he meant the "09" to refer to the year it was released.

And I agree - I enjoyed both films but they are vastly different. Prometheus is definitely science fiction (I'd even consider it an attempt to do "hard" SF) while ST is more of a typical action-adventure that happens to be set in outer space.
Old June 11 2012, 09:29 PM   #335
davejames
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
The other thing I've noticed is that Trek fans (or, sci-fi fans in general), at least from what I've experienced on this BBS, don't really subscribe to the "Ancient Alien" theories and seem to have a hard time being tolerant of others who do.
Yeah I've noticed that in a few comments as well, and I don't really understand it. The Ancient Alien thing may be ridiculous as hell in the real world, but that doesn't mean it can't still make for a cool "what if" idea in a scifi movie.

And plus this movie thankfully wasn't trying to use the existing Ancient Alien mythology (like a certain awful Indiana Jones sequel), but instead came up with a whole new one-- one that's frankly a whole lot cooler and more interesting.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 09:32 PM   #336
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post

And before you scoff - 90% of my problems with Trek XI were explained away to my satisfaction by posters on this site, so it could happen...
In terms of comparisons, Star Trek XI made $257 million in the US alone and $350 million worldwide.I'm not sure if Prometheus has a chance to do that well but no doubt will become a cult hit with sci-fi fans.

Star Trek by film - box office totals
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 09:32 PM   #337
Warped9
Admiral

CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
zakkrusz wrote: View Post
I think he meant the "09" to refer to the year it was released.

And I agree - I enjoyed both films but they are vastly different. Prometheus is definitely science fiction (I'd even consider it an attempt to do "hard" SF) while ST is more of a typical action-adventure that happens to be set in outer space.
Yes, I did mean Trek XI. As to the rest you're being kind.
Old June 11 2012, 09:42 PM   #338
Tom Servo
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
...I agree this is the best sci-fi flick IMO since Trek XI.
Kill me. I could never even remotely envision ST09 and Prometheus being mentioned in the same breath. The latter is actually good while the former is shit.
Well from the critical and fan reviews that Prometheus is getting, it seems like the opposite is true.

And this is from someone who loved Prometheus.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 09:46 PM   #339
Warped9
Admiral

This film has succeeded in a big way already regardless of box office. It has people talking from both sides of the fence. And they're talking a lot.
Old June 11 2012, 09:48 PM   #340
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I'm actually kind of bummed that they chose "David" for the name of the android. Ash and Bishop both had "SH" in their names, which I always thought stood for "Synthetic Human". Would have been a nice bit of continuity if they followed that pattern, but that's just me...
Old June 11 2012, 09:51 PM   #341
Tom Servo
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
This film has succeeded in a big way already regardless of box office. It has people talking from both sides of the fence. And they're talking a lot.
So what is your point? The EXACT same thing happened when Star Trek XI came out.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 09:51 PM   #342
Goji
Rear Admiral

I'll echo what everyone else has really been saying. It's a nice looking film, and a total shame about the characters. I'm inclined to like Michael Fassbender because of how totally awesome he was in last year's X-Men prequel, but everyone else was constantly irritating and stupid. Based on subject matter and genre alone, I'm more likely to enjoy something like this over the original Alien, which for all its style ultimately boils down to a murderous monster bumping off the cast one by one. Not really my thing, more often than not. I liked the parts of this movie that seemed to be trying to be more than that... but it really didn't succeed.
Goji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 10:07 PM   #343
MacLeod
Admiral

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
In myth, Prometheus makes man from clay, sides with the gods against the titans, and steals fire from the gods and gives it to man, only to be condemned for it. So, I suppose the "Prometheus" we see at the beginning of the film is part of one faction of engineers that creates and guides human life, against the will or law of their race, while the ones we see at the end of the film are part of another faction seeking to destroy their works. Their enemies. If the "good engineers" gave us fire, that is technology 2000 years ago, perhaps the "evil engineers" are out to destroy the perceived threat of us. Or maybe to them, all or them, Earth was just a petri dish that served its purpose, and now goes to decon.

Just a guess.

Oh, and A-. It was great.
That is a reasonable explanation. And I agree this is the best sci-fi flick IMO since Trek XI.

Regarding box office totals the film brought in $50 million in the US.

And, worldwide its brought in $141 million

It cost Fox and estimated $130 million to make the film and as pointed out 1/2 the cost The Avengers did.

However, Avengers is up to over $1 billion in box office receipts worldwide so at this point Prometheus has just barely paid for itself.
Comapring Prometheus to Avengers Assemble is not a fair comparrison.

Avengers Assemble is rate 12A in the UK (PG-13 in the states)

Prometheus is rated 15 in the UK and R in the states.

So in countries where the rating is absolute like the UK. No one under 15 is permitted entry to see it. You lose some audiance numbers.

It's true comparisson would be against other R rated films

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime...?page=R&p=.htm

NB: Figures are US Domestic only

I would expect Prometheus to come in at around the low US$300m mark. In worldwide takings.

Though intersting to see some films like "The Kings Speech" given an R in the US whilst it only got a 12A in the UK.

If anyones interested you can see the original BBFC classifcation report for "Alien" here

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/_featured/2012...archive-alien/
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 10:12 PM   #344
Relayer1
Commodore

It's going to turn a decent (if not spectacular) profit, it's rebooted a profitable franchise and it's generated a lot of coverage and discussion. Although the grades are impressively varied, 'we' generally like it, at least in part.

It's got (as they say) legs. There will be more - and hopefully better written - installments.

Let Cameron do the second one !
Old June 11 2012, 10:17 PM   #345
foxhot
Fleet Captain

It often makes you long for the 70s, when it was the R-rated classics like EXORCIST and THE GODFATHER that made more money than much of the PG material.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote