RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,730
Posts: 5,432,647
Members: 24,836
Currently online: 531
Newest member: crazycornuts

TrekToday headlines

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 10 2012, 05:17 PM   #106
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: Batman...

I always thought that Robin Williams wanted to play the Riddler, but they got Jim Carrey instead because he was a rising star.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 05:49 PM   #107
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: Batman...

sonak wrote: View Post
Aragorn wrote: View Post
I remember reading this but have no idea if there's any validity to it, but it said Christopher Walken's role in Batman Returns was originally supposed to be Dent in the story and the electricity thing at the end is what would've turned him into Two-Face.

That doesn't make much sense. Shreck was a corrupt businessman type. Why would Dent, as the D.A. conspire with a villain like the Penguin before he becomes Two-Face?
Yes, because Burton's films were completely faithful to their source material, especially in Batman Returns.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 06:01 PM   #108
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Batman...

^I don't think sonak is asking about continuity with the comics so much as wondering why, just in general, a district attorney (which the first movie established Dent to be) would be cooperating with a criminal rather than hunting him. Although I suppose they could've established that Dent was corrupt before he became Two-Face, or (as some versions have portrayed him) that he already had a dual personality and a dark side before the accident made the duality visible.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 08:22 PM   #109
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Batman...

I dislike the first modern Batman film quite a bit, and this is not even in comparison to the Nolan films, its simply was a lot of hype and didn't come close to living up to any of it...from the badly written hero, to the over the top but ultimately ineffectual Nicholson Joker, the movie wasted a big opportunity. In general the acting was pretty poor from almost everyone. While much of the production design was interesting, even the pre-CGI FX were inferior to many of the big budget movies of the late 80s.
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 09:11 PM   #110
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Batman...

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I always thought that Robin Williams wanted to play the Riddler, but they got Jim Carrey instead because he was a rising star.
I think either, really, would have been (was) a terrible idea.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 09:36 PM   #111
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: Batman...

RAMA wrote: View Post
I dislike the first modern Batman film quite a bit, and this is not even in comparison to the Nolan films, its simply was a lot of hype and didn't come close to living up to any of it...from the badly written hero, to the over the top but ultimately ineffectual Nicholson Joker, the movie wasted a big opportunity. In general the acting was pretty poor from almost everyone. While much of the production design was interesting, even the pre-CGI FX were inferior to many of the big budget movies of the late 80s.
I think the biggest hype going for the movie was that it was the first live-action non-campy Batman. So even being a Burton movie featuring Batman instead of being a Batman movie directed by Burton, it succeeded.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 10:04 PM   #112
Admiral James Kirk
Writer
 
Admiral James Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
Re: Batman...

^It was more than that though. Everywhere you went Batman was being pimped to you. Every commercial was for Batman. Every toy was a Batman toy. Go into a comic store and every comic was Batman. Every tee shirt logo was a bat. Every poster had a bat. People were going to the movies just to watch the trailer!

Batman was everywhere! I've never seen hype like it before or since.The two biggest hyped movies I've seen since are Episode I and The Avengers and even then it was like baby hype compared to Batman. To make it worse, some stupid fucking critic had to run his mouth and declare Batman "The movie of the decade!"

Any movie with that much hype was going to fall short. Especially Batman. I didn't initially like the 89 flick. I came to appreciate it after repeat viewings. I couldn't honestly say that I liked Tim Burton's Batman until the DVD came out.

I always loved Returns, though. The hype-gods at Warners had blown their wads on the first movie so I went in with reasonable expectations.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 10:14 PM   #113
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Batman...

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I always thought that Robin Williams wanted to play the Riddler, but they got Jim Carrey instead because he was a rising star.
I think either, really, would have been (was) a terrible idea.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but I do think it was a mistake to approach the Riddler as a Joker clone, a cackling maniac. The Riddler should be a more cunning, intellectual foe, a villain with a certain degree of class to him (his original appearance was modeled on Fred Astaire, after all). After all, jokes are about making you laugh or groan, but riddles are about making you think, perplexing you with puzzles and mysteries. Batman is the World's Greatest Detective, so the Riddler should be a source of intricate conundrums for him to pit his mind against. (Although that's rarely achieved, since not a lot of comics or TV writers are smart or devious enough to come up with really good riddles or puzzles. The first two B:TAS Riddler episodes gave poor Eddie really lame material. At least Batman Forever had the sense to hire Will Shortz to concoct the riddles, though they were a bit anticlimactic given that.)
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 10:48 PM   #114
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Batman...

Considering that, prior to BTAS, most versions of the Riddler (including the comic books) were modeled on Frank Gorshin's cackling madman, I don't think it's surprising how the character was portrayed. The producers obviously wanted that kind of characterization, which is why they approached the two actors they did.

Furthermore, from what I understand, Carrey is/was a lifelong comic book fan and has a pretty good understanding of what makes Batman tick. I remember when he was doing interviews for "Batman Forever", there was one he did with Val Kilmer and the rest of the cast in Rolling Stone.

One of the questions was "who is the great love of Batman's life." And Carrey answered "his dead parents."

He was the only one who got that.

I always thought it was a shame that Carrey hadn't been the Joker originally.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 12:25 AM   #115
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Batman...

the G-man wrote: View Post
Considering that, prior to BTAS, most versions of the Riddler (including the comic books) were modeled on Frank Gorshin's cackling madman, I don't think it's surprising how the character was portrayed.
Gorshin's Riddler may have been prone to evil laughter, but he wasn't a lunatic. He was shrewd, canny, and dangerous, and could snap from maniacal chuckling to cold rage or malicious calculation in a heartbeat. So there was some real menace below the hysteria. (I've seen it argued, persuasively, that Gorshin's Riddler was the prototype for Mark Hamill's interpretation of the Joker.)

And yeah, I get why there's precedent for portraying the Riddler as similar to the Joker. I just think it would be more interesting to play up the things that make him different from the Joker -- the fact that he isn't a deranged, hyperactive homicidal maniac, but a cool, calculating mastermind and gameplayer. Though of course that never would've fit the tone Schumacher was going for.


One of the questions was "who is the great love of Batman's life." And Carrey answered "his dead parents."

He was the only one who got that.

I always thought it was a shame that Carrey hadn't been the Joker originally.
Good call on Carrey's part. And I agree, he would've been much more suitable for the Joker than Nicholson was. (Although Robin Williams might've been even better. He can certainly project a more menacing side, more convincingly than Carrey.)
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 12:37 AM   #116
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Batman...

Christopher wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I always thought that Robin Williams wanted to play the Riddler, but they got Jim Carrey instead because he was a rising star.
I think either, really, would have been (was) a terrible idea.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but I do think it was a mistake to approach the Riddler as a Joker clone, a cackling maniac. The Riddler should be a more cunning, intellectual foe, a villain with a certain degree of class to him (his original appearance was modeled on Fred Astaire, after all). After all, jokes are about making you laugh or groan, but riddles are about making you think, perplexing you with puzzles and mysteries. Batman is the World's Greatest Detective, so the Riddler should be a source of intricate conundrums for him to pit his mind against. (Although that's rarely achieved, since not a lot of comics or TV writers are smart or devious enough to come up with really good riddles or puzzles. The first two B:TAS Riddler episodes gave poor Eddie really lame material. At least Batman Forever had the sense to hire Will Shortz to concoct the riddles, though they were a bit anticlimactic given that.)
Yeah, The Riddler should really be darker and far more interesting a character, he'd be interesting to see used in the Nolan Verse. He should be something like a cross between the BTK and Zodiac Killers, both known for puzzling the cops with their MO the BTK killer in particular known for calling and taunting the police.

Good call on Carrey's part. And I agree, he would've been much more suitable for the Joker than Nicholson was. (Although Robin Williams might've been even better. He can certainly project a more menacing side, more convincingly than Carrey.)
Not to mention Williams was infinitely more known than Carrey in 1989.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 12:40 AM   #117
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: Batman...

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The Riddler should really be darker and far more interesting a character, he'd be interesting to see used in the Nolan Verse.
Just imagine Leonardo DiCaprio in the part.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 12:42 AM   #118
Admiral James Kirk
Writer
 
Admiral James Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
Re: Batman...

Trekker4747 wrote:
He should be something like a cross between the BTK and Zodiac Killers, both known for puzzling the cops with their MO the BTK killer in particular known for calling and taunting the police.
Yeah he liked to taunt the cops but Dennis Rader got caught because he was a fucktard who didn't understand computers.

He actually wrote the cops and asked if floppy disks were traceable. The cops responded (via the papers) "No", so he sent them one with more taunting. Naturally they used the metadata on the disk to track his psycho ass down.

Oddly enough after all he'd done Rader had the nerve to get upset that the cops lied to him.

Hardly a master criminal like The Riddler.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 12:54 AM   #119
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Batman...

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote:
He should be something like a cross between the BTK and Zodiac Killers, both known for puzzling the cops with their MO the BTK killer in particular known for calling and taunting the police.
Yeah he liked to taunt the cops but Dennis Rader got caught because he was a fucktard who didn't understand computers.

He actually wrote the cops and asked if floppy disks were traceable. The cops responded (via the papers) "No", so he sent them one with more taunting. Naturally they used the metadata on the disk to track his psycho ass down.

Oddly enough after all he'd done Rader had the nerve to get upset that the cops lied to him.

Hardly a master criminal like The Riddler.
Well yeah, I knew all of that, he fucked up at the end but only because he was trying to move out of his element, still he eluded the cops for some time while keeping in some meaningful contact with them, taunting them.


Just imagine Leonardo DiCaprio in the part.
Honestly that'd be damn interesting to see.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 01:13 AM   #120
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Batman...

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Yeah, The Riddler should really be darker and far more interesting a character, he'd be interesting to see used in the Nolan Verse. He should be something like a cross between the BTK and Zodiac Killers, both known for puzzling the cops with their MO the BTK killer in particular known for calling and taunting the police.
I imagine a Nolanverse Riddler as more of an organized crime kingpin who runs the rackets like a chess game. I mean, that fits the MO of Nolan's Bat-villains; Ra's and the Joker were both master manipulators with multiple layers of mindfrakkery to be peeled back before you got to the core of their plans, and if Bane is anything like his comics counterpart (rather than the disappointing screen adaptations to date), he should be much the same.

And his rival crime boss could easily be a short guy named Cobblepot who fancies himself a member of high society and has been known to commit assassinations with a dagger concealed in an umbrella...
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman, batman returns

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.