Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 10 2012, 04:11 AM   #91
Aragorn
Admiral

Re: Batman...

Marc wrote: View Post
Read once that Billy Dee Williams took the roll of Dent in Batman because down the track he'd get to do the transition to Two-Face?
Maybe he would've gotten to play Two-Face if Batman Forever had been Burton's movie. Chris O'Donnell said when he joined the movie, Michael Keaton was supposed to play Batman and Robin Williams was supposed to play Riddler. I remember reading somewhere that Rene Russo was going to be the female lead until Val Kilmer took over.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 04:19 AM   #92
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I remember Billy Dee doing talk shows in 89 saying: "I took the part because something is going to happen to my character down the line... but I can't talk about it right now." He knew all about Two Face from the start. I knew what he was hinting at because I knew all about Two Face and was excited to see Lando Calrissian in the part.

As for Michael Keaton and Batman Forever... from what I remember Michael Keaton decided not to do Forever pretty late in the game. I think they made Robin Williams an offer to play the Riddler but he turned them down. No idea why.

Personally I thought Kilmer was a cool choice. Just look at his build in that movie. He was friggin' built! He did a lot of the fight scenes himself! There was no close up of Kilmer and then a quick cut away to a long shot so the stunt man could do the fight. Kilmer was kicking, punching, running, jumping in a 300 pound rubber suit!

I don't care if you like BF or not but Kilmer was fucking impressive! Didn't care much for his Bruce Wayne though.
Admiral James Kirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 04:30 AM   #93
Aragorn
Admiral

I remember reading this but have no idea if there's any validity to it, but it said Christopher Walken's role in Batman Returns was originally supposed to be Dent in the story and the electricity thing at the end is what would've turned him into Two-Face.
Old June 10 2012, 04:34 AM   #94
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I've never heard that.
Old June 10 2012, 04:36 AM   #95
Aragorn
Admiral

Well I'm pretty sure I didn't read it in a magazine, so it's possible someone just made that up.
Old June 10 2012, 05:18 AM   #96
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I have also read that an early script revealed that Max Shreck was the Penguin's older brother.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 05:25 AM   #97
the G-man
Commodore

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
The tragedy isn't the scars on Harvey Dent's face. The tragedy is that Harvey Dent went from looking like Billy Dee Williams to looking like Tommy Lee Jones. Poor bastard.
Read once that Billy Dee Williams took the roll of Dent in Batman because down the track he'd get to do the transition to Two-Face?
IIRC, they had to buy Williams' contract out to cast Jones in BF
the G-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 05:49 AM   #98
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Same thing happened with Marlon Wayans. Wayans was cast as Robin in Batman Returns but his part was cut. He was still contracted for another Batman movie so Warners had to pay him off so they could cast Chris O'Donnell as Robin.
Old June 10 2012, 06:09 AM   #99
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
The 1989 Batman had a very Burton-esque flavour to it, but Batman Returns is not only very theatrical yet also pure umistakably Tim Burton. Everything is exaggerated and over exaggerated. There is no subtlety whatsoever. Watching this is like watching a live-action cartoon, and in this context I don’t mean that in a good way.
My understanding is that after the success of the first film, Burton was given more freedom with the second, which is why it looks even more Burton-esque. I liked it when I first saw it too, but looking back, it's a bit much. I agree on that. And what was with the slush that looked like whipcream?
I had the opposite occur, I didn't think much if the movie but watched it last year as "Tim Burton's Batman" and really enjoyed it. Taken as such it's a really fun confection. It might help that I grew up with Batman since the 70s but didn't really know him from the comics.

You could probably say the same about Schumacher's films being uniquely his as well but it's not a vision I found so compelling.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 07:11 AM   #100
Aldo
Admiral

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
The tragedy isn't the scars on Harvey Dent's face. The tragedy is that Harvey Dent went from looking like Billy Dee Williams to looking like Tommy Lee Jones. Poor bastard.
I recall reading he was contracted for sequels. So when they decided to bring in Jones for Two-Face, they had to buy out his contract.
Old June 10 2012, 07:20 AM   #101
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Here's Batman Wiki's entry for Burton's proposed "Batman III".

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_...oposed_film%29

Robin Williams as The Ridder and Rene Russo as Chase would have been interesting.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 08:30 AM   #102
Aragorn
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Here's Batman Wiki's entry for Burton's proposed "Batman III".

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_...oposed_film%29

Robin Williams as The Ridder and Rene Russo as Chase would have been interesting.
Hey, maybe there is where I read the Harvey Batman Returns rumor. Of course, that still doesn't mean someone didn't just make it up.
Old June 10 2012, 08:39 AM   #103
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I never intended to post it as a legit source of information about the film, I thought it would be an interesting read nothing more

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 08:51 AM   #104
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

There are lot of old rumors on there which never were proven. I think Micky Dolenz as thr Riddler was just wishful thinking by fans.

Also it seems Burton had no long term plan to use Two Face. While Billy Dee had a multifilm contract, he was mostly cast just for one film. No one had any idea how huge the first one would be. After which they wanted the biggest names to play the villains.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 03:58 PM   #105
sonak
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
I remember reading this but have no idea if there's any validity to it, but it said Christopher Walken's role in Batman Returns was originally supposed to be Dent in the story and the electricity thing at the end is what would've turned him into Two-Face.

That doesn't make much sense. Shreck was a corrupt businessman type. Why would Dent, as the D.A. conspire with a villain like the Penguin before he becomes Two-Face?
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote