Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 9 2012, 10:29 PM   #256
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: Iron Man 3 Discussion/Photos/ETC.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
And is the deal between Marvel and Sony/Fox that detailed that adamantium is securely tied to X-Men? Seems like that metal would be "public domain" as far as the various Marvel movie characters are concerned, don't see why it'd only be latched to X-Men and thus only Fox.(?)
Essentially, if it's mentioned or seen in a FOX-produced Marvel film, FOX holds the rights to it from there on out (which is one of the reasons there were so many fucking worthless and pointless cameos in The Last Stand and X-Men Origins). Marvel has to stay away from basically anything even remotely mutant-related, and adamantium is pretty closely tied to Wolverine.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 01:57 AM   #257
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Everything mutant related is owned and belonged to Fox...although as an article recently pointed out, Wanda and Pietro might be used by both studios.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 02:04 AM   #258
Dream
Admiral

nvek86 wrote: View Post
Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
War Machine without the Gatling gun? I call bullshit on that one!
If you scroll down on this page, you'll see a photo where the gun is visibile on his back (at least I think that's the one you mean):
Also no way that armor will be used by a villain. It just looks too damn SILLY. It should be obvious Tony will make a joke about it the moment he sees that thing.

I don't see it being around for more than a scene or two though. It'll be very easy to repaint it back to the gray and black armor that we all know and love.
Old June 10 2012, 02:13 AM   #259
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I agree there as well. No doubt the script has a few one liners from Tony on the paint design.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 02:20 AM   #260
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
Essentially, if it's mentioned or seen in a FOX-produced Marvel film, FOX holds the rights to it from there on out (which is one of the reasons there were so many fucking worthless and pointless cameos in The Last Stand and X-Men Origins).
Those characters are part of the package of rights whether they appear in cameos or not. The producers include the cameos because they think fans get a kick out of them.
Old June 10 2012, 02:56 AM   #261
Duncan MacLeod
Fleet Captain

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
Essentially, if it's mentioned or seen in a FOX-produced Marvel film, FOX holds the rights to it from there on out (which is one of the reasons there were so many fucking worthless and pointless cameos in The Last Stand and X-Men Origins).
Those characters are part of the package of rights whether they appear in cameos or not. The producers include the cameos because they think fans get a kick out of them.
Yes and no. I believe that there's a codicil in the contracts about if the characters aren't used in 'x' number of years the rights revert back to Marvel.

At least that's the way it was back when Roger Corman made his FF movie. It was never intended for release. It was just so the studio could retain the screen rights.

Nor sure if the X-men movies are like that, but they might be.
Duncan MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 03:10 AM   #262
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post
Yes and no. I believe that there's a codicil in the contracts about if the characters aren't used in 'x' number of years the rights revert back to Marvel.

At least that's the way it was back when Roger Corman made his FF movie. It was never intended for release. It was just so the studio could retain the screen rights.

Nor sure if the X-men movies are like that, but they might be.
Yes, that's how the rights work, but the characters come in a bundle basically. Fox renews the X-Men rights every time they make an X-Men movie, and they would lose the rights if they failed to to do so within the number of years stipulated by the contract. But when the rights renew they do so for the whole package of characters. They don't have to say, "Oh, we need to have character X put in a cameo appearance or else we'll lose the rights to that particular character." Fox still controls the film rights to Mole Man, for example, as part of the Fantastic Four rights even though they haven't put him on screen yet. The same goes for any number of Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Daredevil characters.
Old June 10 2012, 03:41 AM   #263
Dream
Admiral

There was some interview a while back that revealed that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver could appear in both X-men and Avengers films. But I'd imagine Marvel couldn't call them mutants or mention the fact that Magneto is their father if they ever put them in an Avengers movie.
Old June 10 2012, 07:27 AM   #264
captcalhoun
Admiral

that was what i read.

Fury: hey, these are our new public team members, Pietro and Wanda. They've been doing some black ops work for us. Pietro's able to run super fast and Wanda's able to manipulate probabilities.

Stark: Wow, how'd you get those powers?

Wanda: We were just born that way.

not:

Fury: hey, these are our new public team members, Pietro and Wanda. They've been doing some black ops work for us. Pietro's able to run super fast and Wanda's able to manipulate probabilities. Their dad's that guy Magneto who's been running around screaming about mutant rights.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 07:30 AM   #265
Dream
Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
that was what i read.

Fury: hey, these are our new public team members, Pietro and Wanda. They've been doing some black ops work for us. Pietro's able to run super fast and Wanda's able to manipulate probabilities.

Stark: Wow, how'd you get those powers?

Wanda: We were just born that way.

not:

Fury: hey, these are our new public team members, Pietro and Wanda. They've been doing some black ops work for us. Pietro's able to run super fast and Wanda's able to manipulate probabilities. Their dad's that guy Magneto who's been running around screaming about mutant rights.
Meanwhile...

Audience: COOOOOOOOOL! When is Wolverine showing up?!
Old June 10 2012, 04:37 PM   #266
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Fox still controls the film rights to Mole Man, for example, as part of the Fantastic Four rights even though they haven't put him on screen yet.
I want a Mole Man movie so bad. A Mole Man card came with my Grateful Dead album.
Old June 11 2012, 02:07 PM   #267
JRoss
Captain

Adamantium was first introduced with the S.H.I.E.L.D. Heli-carrier. It predates Wolverine.
Old June 11 2012, 04:11 PM   #268
Skywalker
Admiral

The Kingpin first appeared in The Amazing Spider-Man, but he still belongs to Fox as part of their Daredevil rights.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2012, 11:49 PM   #269
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Licensing poster

Banner. Armor is possibly the mark 8/extermis armor

Old June 13 2012, 12:02 AM   #270
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Hum, it's certainly not the Mark VI... So it's probably the Mark VIII or whatever he starts off with at the beginning of the film. If Extremis is game-changing or has a different look, I'd imagine they would keep that as secret as they can for as long as they can.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote