Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 9 2012, 01:41 PM   #1
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Registry meanings?

I was reading about how the registry numbers on the ships in the 2009 Trek movie all have meanings - the USS Newton NCC-1727, numbered for the year of Isaac Newton's death, the USS Kelvin NCC-0514, numbered for JJ Abrams' Uncle Kelvin's birthdate etc.

And we know the original Enterprise NCC-1701 number was modified from Gene Rodenberry's WWII plane.

Do any of the other ships in Trek have meaningful (in real life, to the show's creators if no-one else) numbers? Surely the hero ship numbers from Voyager (74656) and DS9 (USS Defiant NX-74205) aren't just strings of random digits?
Old June 9 2012, 02:07 PM   #2
M
Vice Admiral

Re: Registry meanings?

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
And we know the original Enterprise NCC-1701 number was modified from Gene Rodenberry's WWII plane.
Is that so? I always thought it was Roddenberry's homage to "Forbidden Planet", where they give "17:01 hours" as the ship's time in one scene.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2012, 02:32 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Is that so? I always thought it was Roddenberry's homage to "Forbidden Planet", where they give "17:01 hours" as the ship's time in one scene.
Now you've got me wondering where I read it. I'm thinking "The Making of Star Trek" .... but I guess it could be internet nonsense
Old June 9 2012, 02:40 PM   #4
BK613
Captain

What Matt Jefferies had to say about NCC-1701:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/st/intervi...es/page6.shtml
Old June 9 2012, 02:57 PM   #5
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Do any of the other ships in Trek have meaningful (in real life, to the show's creators if no-one else) numbers? Surely the hero ship numbers from Voyager (74656) and DS9 (USS Defiant NX-74205) aren't just strings of random digits?
They pretty much are, although they were meant to be generally sequential with the Voyager being commissioned after the Defiant.

One early registry created for the Voyager would have been NCC-73602, but it was scrapped when an early design for the ship was scrapped too.
Old June 9 2012, 03:19 PM   #6
danellis
Lieutenant Commander

I forget the details, but one of the Miranda class ships was NCC-1949 after a film the model-maker had worked on.
danellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Timo
Admiral

That was the Bozeman from "Cause and Effect", NCC-1941 after the Spielberg comedy. Although the underside of the saucer, prominently featured in the repeating collision scene, appears to say NCC-1841 instead.

Also, anything with 227 in it is likely to be a John Eaves homage to his dad's police cruiser number (or was it his badge number?).

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Forbin
Admiral

I do this a lot with my kitbashes, but I'm not aware of it being done in Trek outside of the 1941 reference.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2012, 07:51 PM   #9
captcalhoun
Admiral

the Challenger was NCC 71099 as a reference to the Challenger space shuttle, which was OV-099 (why the Challenger was OV-099 which was lower than the prototype OV-101 Enterprise i don't know)
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2012, 08:00 PM   #10
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
the Challenger was NCC 71099 as a reference to the Challenger space shuttle, which was OV-099 (why the Challenger was OV-099 which was lower than the prototype OV-101 Enterprise i don't know)
Challenger began as a test vehicle (STA-099) then was later upgraded for spaceflight as OV-099. Incidentally, the early mockup/placeholder shuttle Pathfinder was retroactively designated OV-098.

Kind of makes me wonder if there was a similar mockup NX-class ship that might have been designated NX-00.
Old June 10 2012, 01:08 AM   #11
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

I've done a bit of research:

Defiant: 5th February 1974 (74/2/05) - US Mariner 10 returns 1st close-up photos of Venus' cloud structure

Surely that could be enough of a reason for Defiant's registry?
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 02:11 AM   #12
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I'm waiting for the USS Jenny NCC-8675309.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 07:46 AM   #13
captcalhoun
Admiral

^ ????????
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 07:58 AM   #14
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Don't mind him. He's like the others before. He saw the name and number on the wall.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 08:32 PM   #15
danellis
Lieutenant Commander

Timo wrote: View Post
That was the Bozeman from "Cause and Effect", NCC-1941 after the Spielberg comedy. Although the underside of the saucer, prominently featured in the repeating collision scene, appears to say NCC-1841 instead.
That's the one, thanks, Timo

dJE
danellis is offline   Reply With Quote