Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 8 2012, 04:37 PM   #16
Fer
Commander

Re: IDW to publish post-Nemesis TNG Borg story, possibly Destiny

I'm cool with two (three?) alternate takes on post-Nemesis continuity. If anything, hopefully this will lessen the chances of the novels tying in to Countdown. (I don't mind Countdown, but I'd much rather see Picard stay a captain than become an ambassador.)

Last edited by Fer; June 8 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 04:49 PM   #17
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
But "Countdown" didn't explain it, beyond him "returning". It was the STO novel "The Needs of the Many" that did.
And the fate of the B-4 is seemingly further clarified in this "Star Trek Online" short story in the recent issue of the "ST Magazine":
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=176575

zarkon wrote: View Post
I was sure data said something to spock about b4 & memory engrams after spock makes his resurrection comment. But maybe I'm mistaken?
From Memory Beta's description of issue #2: "Data asks to see Spock. Spock notes that he and Data have not seen each other since before Data's 'resurrection'; Data, however, believes 'return' to be a more apt description since it denotes the fact that his neural nets were successfully imprinted onto the existing programming of B-4. Spock notes that he and Data share a unique experience..."
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 05:33 PM   #18
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

cdgodin wrote: View Post
What do you guys think about this?
I'm a little disappointed that both of IDW's TNG 25th-anniversary projects (TNG/Who and now this) are Borg-centric. I recognize the value in using the Borg in a TNG project from a marketing standpoint. I'd have liked to have seen something else, though. Maybe a new threat, even. *shrug*

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 10:49 PM   #19
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I would have liked to have seen something done with Q...but I guess he was already used for Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 11:13 PM   #20
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I would have liked to have seen something done with Q...but I guess he was already used for Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes.
There's still seven issues of Assimilation to go. If Q doesn't show up, I'd be surprised. (If Q does appear, I wonder if they might suggest that Q and the Celestial Toymaker are one in the same. They are very similar, when you come right down to it...)

allyngibson.net
Old June 8 2012, 11:50 PM   #21
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
There's still seven issues of Assimilation to go. If Q doesn't show up, I'd be surprised.
Exactly.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2012, 02:02 AM   #22
JD
Admiral

I'll be keeping an eye on this since I am curious to see an alternate take on the post-Nemesis time frame. I'm one of the few people who didn't mind Countdown, so it wouldn't bother if this was in the same continuity. If it is I wonder if they'll use the Online storyline, or ignore that to go in their own direction?
Old June 9 2012, 02:28 AM   #23
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
AAAUUUGGHHHH! TRADE WAITING! Oh, well.

Q showed up in the final Star Trek/X-Men crossover as well.
Old June 9 2012, 11:18 AM   #24
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post
But "Countdown" didn't explain it, beyond him "returning". It was the STO novel "The Needs of the Many" that did.
And the fate of the B-4 is seemingly further clarified in this "Star Trek Online" short story in the recent issue of the "ST Magazine":
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=176575

zarkon wrote: View Post
I was sure data said something to spock about b4 & memory engrams after spock makes his resurrection comment. But maybe I'm mistaken?
From Memory Beta's description of issue #2: "Data asks to see Spock. Spock notes that he and Data have not seen each other since before Data's 'resurrection'; Data, however, believes 'return' to be a more apt description since it denotes the fact that his neural nets were successfully imprinted onto the existing programming of B-4. Spock notes that he and Data share a unique experience..."
*checks "Countdown"*
You're 100% right. I somehow only remembered the beginning of that speech bubble about his return
Old June 9 2012, 01:46 PM   #25
Relayer1
Commodore

I realise there's no reason they have to, but how hard would it be for IDW to stay in continuity with the novels ?
Old June 9 2012, 02:02 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I realise there's no reason they have to, but how hard would it be for IDW to stay in continuity with the novels ?
Pretty hard, actually. Books take a lot longer to develop, write, and publish than comics, so it would be difficult for the two to stay current with each other on an ongoing basis. It's the same reason the TV shows couldn't pay much attention to the novels, because they came out so much faster and they couldn't wait around to see what happened in the books -- and the same reason that despite their best efforts, a number of books ended up getting contradicted by new episodes before they even hit the shelves. Comics don't come out at quite the same pace as TV shows, but it's sufficiently faster than novels that the same coordination problems arise.

Also IDW is in California and Pocket is in New York, so they can't coordinate as closely as they could if they were in the same place (granted, less of an issue in the age of e-mail and teleconferencing, but apparently still a factor).

Not to mention that they're targeted at different audiences. There's some overlap, certainly, but there are plenty of people who buy comics but not novels, or vice-versa. So if their continuities were dependent on each other, it might confuse people who only read one or the other. And the different media have different strengths and emphases as well. Comics rely more on action and spectacle, so they're probably better served by, for instance, keeping the Borg around as a perennial threat than by going along with their final defeat in the novels.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2012, 02:02 PM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Why? Why is a different take on the post-Nemesis timeline a bad thing?

I'm in as long as they don't have Picard on his knees sobbing on the bridge at the end...
Old June 9 2012, 02:15 PM   #28
Relayer1
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Pretty hard, actually. Books take a lot longer to develop, write, and publish than comics, so it would be difficult for the two to stay current with each other on an ongoing basis. It's the same reason the TV shows couldn't pay much attention to the novels, because they came out so much faster and they couldn't wait around to see what happened in the books -- and the same reason that despite their best efforts, a number of books ended up getting contradicted by new episodes before they even hit the shelves. Comics don't come out at quite the same pace as TV shows, but it's sufficiently faster than novels that the same coordination problems arise.

Also IDW is in California and Pocket is in New York, so they can't coordinate as closely as they could if they were in the same place (granted, less of an issue in the age of e-mail and teleconferencing, but apparently still a factor).
Fair enough - the practicalities of comics and novels moving at different speeds had not occurred to me.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Why? Why is a different take on the post-Nemesis timeline a bad thng ?
I just like a coherent(ish) universe. I realise that for everyone like me, there's probably (at least) one who doesn't give a hoot !
Old June 9 2012, 04:45 PM   #29
Cybersnark
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Books take a lot longer to develop, write, and publish than comics, so it would be difficult for the two to stay current with each other on an ongoing basis.
True, though it's not like there aren't enough gaps in the novel timeline where an action-based comic miniseries could fit (glares toward the Ascendants arc).
Old June 9 2012, 06:04 PM   #30
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Cybersnark wrote: View Post
True, though it's not like there aren't enough gaps in the novel timeline where an action-based comic miniseries could fit (glares toward the Ascendants arc).
However, IDW might see such a project as being so niche that it's of no benefit to them. Fool's Gold was, from what I understand, a poor seller, and once burned on a DS9 project IDW's likely to be cautious about the next one -- assuming there is a next one, that is, since there hasn't been one yet.

allyngibson.net