New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 8 2012, 09:10 PM   #121
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

B+

I was pretty disappointed with some of the nonsensical script. The inclusion of Weyland was stupid, Vickers being his daughter was stupid, and almost all of David's motives just left me extremely confused. Why did he unleash that virus? Just testing it out??
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 09:12 PM   #122
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 09:13 PM   #123
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

To me, the jury's still out concerning Vickers parentage with Weyland. She could very well be an android but Weyland preferred a synthetic son in stead od a synthetic daughter.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 09:22 PM   #124
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
To me, the jury's still out concerning Vickers parentage with Weyland. She could very well be an android but Weyland preferred a synthetic son in stead od a synthetic daughter.
Yeah, I really got the feeling she was a synthetic.

As for David's motivations in releasing for releasing the virus

Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 09:42 PM   #125
jmc247
Vice Admiral

I just got done with it... the film was really great besides so many members of the crew acting like such idiots. Fassbender really made the film.

Why the hell was this film rated R? I have seen far worse gore and more sex/skin in tons of PG 13 films.
jmc247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 09:48 PM   #126
MacLeod
Admiral

Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Yeah, I really got the feeling she was a synthetic.

As for David's motivations in releasing for releasing the virus

Agreed, something seemed off about her character. Though it might just be a simple case is thats just her personality.

AlsoI would tend to agree with David around Shaw.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 09:51 PM   #127
MacLeod
Admiral

jmc247 wrote: View Post
I just got done with it... the film was really great besides so many members of the crew acting like such idiots. Fassbender really made the film.

Why the hell was this film rated R? I have seen far worse gore and more sex/skin in tons of PG 13 films.
Well for referrence sake, it was rated 15 in the UK. Which is the closest BBFC rating to the MPAA rating of R. PG13 would be a 12/12A in the UK.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 09:52 PM   #128
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Saw it and thought it was decent. Though I think the characters were way off on the whole Engineer/Alien relationship.

Wish we'd get a Trek film with that type of scope.
Old June 8 2012, 10:29 PM   #129
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Ebert's the best movie reviewer working, bar none. The fact that his tastes are his own and an occasional source of offense and disparagement by the fanboise is not a failing on his part.
He also doesn't think that his word is God's and he reviews films based on their genre, knowing that a four star action film is not the same as a four star drama film. He's a great reviewer.
Old June 8 2012, 10:32 PM   #130
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

He's no Mark Kermode.
Old June 8 2012, 11:20 PM   #131
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

I caught the midnight showing last night and I have to say the film was pretty disappointing. Almost everything about it was wrong and somehow even with a great cast they managed to abuse their screentime. C- at best.
Old June 8 2012, 11:32 PM   #132
Pauln6
Commodore

MacLeod wrote: View Post
^
The planet in this movie is LV-223 with a very different appearance and atmospheric composition to LV-426. Also no distress signal, among other discrepancies.

I thought that David viewed the crew as subjects upon which he had carte blanche to experiment. He was a fascinating character. He simply lacked a moral compass although in fairness, he did essentially trick Charlie into volunteering.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631

Last edited by Pauln6; June 8 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 11:38 PM   #133
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

So...rental, huh?

Fancy pants astronomer gives them some shit.

In the immortal words of Barbie, "math is hard!"
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2012, 12:08 AM   #134
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
So...rental, huh?
It's visually stunning. I think it's worth the money just for the imagery.

In the immortal words of Barbie, "math is hard!"
Everyone needs something to complain about or they don't feel special.
Old June 9 2012, 12:18 AM   #135
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Spoilers, I guess? I mean, if you're reading this thread that discusses the movie, you're going to be spoiled.

It was bad and the more I think about it afterwards, the worse it gets. I don't care that it was pretty or that it made references to the Alien franchise. The movie was boring, cliche and poorly written. Creature CGI was overused and not quite right shading/color wise, so it looked like CGI.

For instance, the fetus in what was one of the few tense, gross-out scenes with Noomi, would have been much more horrifying had it been an actual prop and not clearly another "effect" no one but the digital artist could see until post.

The script came across at every turn like a mash-up of the worst Ancient Architect bits from the AVP movies (films I otherwise don't mind, actually) and EVERY SCI-FI HORROR MOVIE made since the first Alien. Everyone makes insanely stupid decisions or is prevented from making a sane decision by some other moron at every opportunity. It's like everyone on board the Prometheus didn't want to be there, didn't care they'd found alien life or (ugh) possible origins of human life, and actively sought death at every turn. Except for Theron's character, who had the few brain cells the crew could scrape together, was capable and clearly wanted to live.

I thought a huge error was made in putting so many characters in play and then setting up Noomi (who isn't that good) as the clear heroine with a character shield from word one. She should have died about half way into the film suddenly and with great violence, so that Theron's character (the justifiably paranoid asshole who couldn't get along with anyone) could step in and try to salvage the inevitable disaster, if only for herself and maybe the audience would have been surprised at a turn the film took.

Elba, Theron and Fassbender were all good, but they weren't given anything to work with. Noomi was meh. Her boyfriend was lame just like he is in every movie he's in and the rest of the dozen other characters are ciphers, with little or no dialogue, only there to hold up the sets and then die.

As for the deeper message? Engineer Aliens are assholes. And humans are assholes to robots. That's it. Having characters say there are Big Things out there that need Big Answers is not the same as actually having those characters explore those Big Things or find those Big Answers.

I'll give it one more go with a Director's Cut (Kingdom of Heaven DC is frickin awesome compared to the wreck of a theatrical release). The only reason to see this in theatres is to see the pretty scenery on a big screen.

C+ (Leaning towards C/C- as time passes)
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote