Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 7 2012, 09:30 PM   #31
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Re: Most Anticlimactic Movie Deaths

PamalaLauren wrote: View Post
Seriously? This is why I don't and probably never will watch anything Star Wars related.
That's silly. the original Star Wars is one of the most influential films of the last 50 years.
Old June 7 2012, 09:32 PM   #32
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
Charlize Theron - Snow White & the Huntsman
Wow, thanks for that. Guess I have no reason to see the movie now that you've blown the ending.

Really fucking appreciate it.
Seriously?
Old June 7 2012, 09:36 PM   #33
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Wow, thanks for that. Guess I have no reason to see the movie now that you've blown the ending.

Seriously?
Have you ever seen me get upset about movie spoilers, ever?

(No, not seriously.)
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 02:17 AM   #34
{ Emma Snow }
Where you lead...

Seriously?

It's { Emilia }.
{ Emma Snow } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 02:26 AM   #35
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
As much as I enjoyed the rest of the movie, I was very disappointed by the Red Skull's death in "Captain America." The Cap didn't actually do anything to defeat him. He just picked up the Energon Cube and evaporated! Lame.
Well, it was a very Raiders of the Lost Ark type death.
Old June 8 2012, 03:25 AM   #36
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Admiral M wrote: View Post
Scott Summers in X-Men The Last Stand: He more or less dies off screen and very little is said about him for the duration of the movie.
Pretty much, made worse that he was killed off simply because he went to work on S:R and they didn't want to re-cast the part.
Old June 8 2012, 12:24 PM   #37
Australis
Writer

The kid in Alien3. After Ripley struggled to save her. Off camera and pointless
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 12:42 PM   #38
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
As much as I enjoyed the rest of the movie, I was very disappointed by the Red Skull's death in "Captain America." The Cap didn't actually do anything to defeat him. He just picked up the Energon Cube and evaporated! Lame.
He throws his Shield at the thing and it breaks so the Red Skull grabs the cube.

I remember being underwhelmed when I saw it at the cinema but it worked much better the second time round.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 07:11 PM   #39
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post

Seriously?
Seriously?
Old June 8 2012, 07:24 PM   #40
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

Well, let's get serious. One other movie which I thought had an anticlimactic ending/death was Dark Shadows. I don't know if anyone has seen it, but ...

Code:
Towards the end, Johnny Depp's character Barnabas Collins was trying to save the reincarnation of his former love, Josette, in the present body of Victoria, whom the evil witch Angelique Bouchard cast a spell on to jump off the cliff in the same manner that Josette did.  As Victoria and Barnabas plummeted to the rocks below, Barnabas bit Victoria just before they hit the bottom, transforming Victoria into a vampire.  Meanwhile, the Collins family just watched as their manor burned to the ground.  I thought the ending could've been a lot better by showing what would become of Barnabas and Victoria and the whole Collins clan
Old June 8 2012, 07:57 PM   #41
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

I'm also reminded of No Country For Old Men, where Josh Brogan's character is killed offscreen by Anton Chigurh after spending the majority of the movie eluding him and even surviving a shootout with him on equal footing! Surely the payoff of a final fight would have made more sense?
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 08:08 PM   #42
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Dracula, in the original 1931 version. Offscreen, muted, skips ahead to the human characters going their separate ways the next day. Very disappointing but made up for in the ending to the 1958 Hammer version.
Old June 8 2012, 10:13 PM   #43
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Admiral M wrote: View Post
I'm also reminded of No Country For Old Men, where Josh Brogan's character is killed offscreen by Anton Chigurh after spending the majority of the movie eluding him and even surviving a shootout with him on equal footing! Surely the payoff of a final fight would have made more sense?
While I agree that a final showdown between Llewelyn and Chigurh would have been a more satisfying ending, having his death be so anticlimactic was supposed to emphasize the pointlessness of it all and play upon Tommy Lee Jones' increasing despair with the way of the world today. So it works from an in-story standpoint while not being the most dramatic and exciting ending for the audience. Still a fantastic film, though.

Some of the offscreen deaths of major or mid-level characters in the final Harry Potter film bugged me a bit. They could have cut some of the exposition in favor of giving at least some of these characters a worthy onscreen send-off.

The stupid death of Darth Maul (not counting recent events in Clone Wars) where he suddenly becomes and idiot and loses all his speed and reflexes was really bad, though, especially after dominating the dojo against two of the Jedi's best the entire fight. It was obvious Obi-Wan was up to something for about twenty seconds before he leapt up, but Maul just stood there with a Scooby Doo look of confusion on his face the whole time.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2012, 02:20 PM   #44
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Given that the Sarlacc takes a thousand years to digest its prey, I can only assume it keeps that prey alive for that long. Otherwise the prey would die and rot. And Threepio did specifically say that the victim(s) would remain alive all that time.
So it preserves its victims while also digesting them?
Of course, this makes not the slightest bit of sense if you think about it for two seconds, unless Sarlaccs have some other form of sustenance besides (very, very slowly) digesting preserved victims.
Look at the Venus Fly Trap, its real life analogue it gets its carbohydrates from photosynthesis, but eats protein based life as a source of nitrogen compounds since its soil is usually nitrogen poor. Possibly its the same for the Sarlaac. Energy isn't the only thing an organism needs.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2012, 02:46 PM   #45
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Surely you can't be serious!

Despite everything, it's still SNOW WHITE for God's sake.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote