Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 7 2012, 07:08 PM   #91
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Wow...are y'all trying to make me not see this movie?

I just wanna know one thing. Is Charlize Theron in a space suit? (I've seen her in the milkbath. Now i wanna see her in the spacesuit.)

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 07:10 PM   #92
RoJoHen
Awesome

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Wow...are y'all trying to make me not see this movie?
Seriously. I'm kind of regretting coming into this thread. Talk about a buzz kill.
Old June 7 2012, 07:14 PM   #93
Kirkman1987
Commodore

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
I thought the themes were handled well, and I'm glad the film doesn't leave us with a simple answer to all the questions it poses.
I don't understand your point of view. Yes, the movie raises some basic questions about the origin of human life, but it never addresses them in any significant way, except to have a couple of characters tell us that these things are Very Important.

Where do we come from? What does it mean for us to meet our creators? It's not so much that the film doesn't leave us with a simple answer: the film doesn't even bother to explore its premise and it does nothing at all with these questions; it just brings them up and that's it.

So I'd be interested to know what in the movie lead you to think that the themes were handled well. What did I miss?
I agree the ideas were jumbled, but David has a few scenes where he questioned why meeting the creators was so important to humans, and relating it to himself as a robot. Repace's faith was the focus of a few scenes in there, and important to the ending where she decides to "keep searching".

Perhaps what I should of said is "I'm glad this isn't a blatantly dumb movie like Resurrection"...
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 07:28 PM   #94
banzaiduck
Lieutenant

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
Can someone name one movie where scientists acted as scientists, and not as buffoons? I can't think of one.
The Andromeda Strain, perhaps.
Outbreak - kind of...
Contagion. Soderbergh went out of his way to ensure some semblance of verisimilitude in portraying the scientists and government officials.

Rather boring flick otherwise.

BANZAI!!!
banzaiduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 07:30 PM   #95
banzaiduck
Lieutenant

I thought the themes were handled well, and I'm glad the film doesn't leave us with a simple answer to all the questions it poses.
I don't understand your point of view. Yes, the movie raises some basic questions about the origin of human life, but it never addresses them in any significant way, except to have a couple of characters tell us that these things are Very Important.
What else should one expect from Lindelof? Same shit went on with Lost as well. I refuse to acknowledge that last season and that flash forward/sideways...whatever bullshit.

How congruous that the latter half of this flick was, for lack of a better word, shit.

BANZAI!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 7 2012, 07:39 PM   #96
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

I just wanna know one thing. Is Charlize Theron in a space suit? (I've seen her in the milkbath. Now i wanna see her in the spacesuit.)
Yes...
Old June 7 2012, 07:47 PM   #97
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

Bob the Skutter wrote: View Post

Yes...
Thank you. Now I can sit through all the muddle and still be happy.

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 11:32 PM   #98
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

The film got a solid review from The AV Club, a site that is usually on the ball.
Old June 7 2012, 11:36 PM   #99
davejames
Vice Admiral

banzaiduck wrote: View Post
What else should one expect from Lindelof? Same shit went on with Lost as well. I refuse to acknowledge that last season and that flash forward/sideways...whatever bullshit.

How congruous that the latter half of this flick was, for lack of a better word, shit.

BANZAI!!!!!!!!!!!!
That seems to be a common reaction, but at the same time I'm noticing that people who actually LIKE the ambiguous nature of Lindelof's storytelling (and who embraced the same thing in Lost), seem to be liking the movie a bit more.

Fortunately I'm one of those in the second camp, so hopefully I won't find the movie quite as irritating as others here...

(crosses fingers)
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 11:51 PM   #100
Roshi's bone
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roshi's bone

Where do we come from? What does it mean for us to meet our creators? It's not so much that the film doesn't leave us with a simple answer: the film doesn't even bother to explore its premise and it does nothing at all with these questions; it just brings them up and that's it.

So I'd be interested to know what in the movie lead you to think that the themes were handled well. What did I miss?
I don't remember anyone in Blade Runner saying: "bbbut, Deckard, you are a Replicant!"

Basically, creators are assholes and I'm fine with that.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Roshi's bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 12:43 AM   #101
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
That seems to be a common reaction, but at the same time I'm noticing that people who actually LIKE the ambiguous nature of Lindelof's storytelling (and who embraced the same thing in Lost), seem to be liking the movie a bit more.

Fortunately I'm one of those in the second camp, so hopefully I won't find the movie quite as irritating as others here...

(crosses fingers)
I like the ambiguity and the film is perfectly enjoyable. The stupid parts are no more stupid than the Joker having time to install enough explosives in a hospital on every level without being noticed to make it explode massively or the molestation of some basic laws of physics for the convenience of the story in NuTrek.

Those things irritate me but don't ruin the story completely. My disappointment stems from the fact that I had such high hopes for something less schlocky than this turned out to be. I was hoping for X-Men 2 but got the Wolverine movie.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 02:07 AM   #102
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Man, these reviews are all over the place. I gotta say, it's tempered my enthusiasm somewhat, but then, lower expectations may work out in my favour -- if it turns out the film isn't so great, perhaps I won't be so disappointed.

Going to see it tonight at a midnight screening... here's hoping it delivers.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 03:51 AM   #103
Capt_Pickirk
Fleet Captain

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Roger Ebert gives this movie four stars.
Well, that's the same guy who gave thumbs up to The Phantom Menace, Cop and a half and a load of terrible films, and thumbs down to Rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead and a bunch of other decent movies, so I don't really trust Ebert's opinion all that much.

RIP Doctor Who 1963-1996
Capt_Pickirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 07:19 AM   #104
banzaiduck
Lieutenant

Capt_Pickirk wrote: View Post
Aragorn wrote: View Post
Roger Ebert gives this movie four stars.
Well, that's the same guy who gave thumbs up to The Phantom Menace, Cop and a half and a load of terrible films, and thumbs down to Rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead and a bunch of other decent movies, so I don't really trust Ebert's opinion all that much.
I can understand all of that except for Phantom Menace. How could he have possibly looked past that nonsensical walking goat?

BANZAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 8 2012, 09:42 AM   #105
The Haunting
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
banzaiduck wrote: View Post

BANZAI!!!!!!!!!!!!

(crosses fingers)
Well I didn't mind it on Lost, but I might just be the exception that proves the rule...

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote