RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,721
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 749
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 7 2012, 08:12 PM   #16
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Re: 60s Batman show rights issues resolved!

One of the presumptions as to why the show has never been on DVD was that DC and WB was embarrassed about this version of Batman. But if they want to merchandise it, clearly that was totally wrong!

I hope this is a good sign of DVDs are getting closer.

I would love to see some of Adam West voice over work in batman cartoons included as extras. He voiced Batman in the last two season of Superfriends. One of which is called "The Fear". Which was written as a pilot for a Batman spin-off that never happened. It was the first time outside of the comics that Batman's origin was shown. Adam West gave a great performance. Considering his own show only gave a passing mention to Bruce's parents death it would be a great inclusion.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 08:17 PM   #17
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
One of the presumptions as to why the show has never been on DVD was that DC and WB was embarrassed about this version of Batman. But if they want to merchandise it, clearly that was totally wrong!
I never believed that. If that were so, why would they have ever allowed the cartoon Batman: The Brave and the Bold to be made?

And why would embarrassment stand in the way of making money?
Old June 7 2012, 08:23 PM   #18
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Oh, I never believed it either. I think that was from an aspect of fandom who only wants a serious take on the character. Just projecting their personal standards on issues they had no control of.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 08:24 PM   #19
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

That was always just a ridiculous fannish theory. Rights and contract issues were the only sensible explanations.
Old June 7 2012, 08:47 PM   #20
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Oh, I never believed it either. I think that was from an aspect of fandom who only wants a serious take on the character. Just projecting their personal standards on issues they had no control of.
WHAT!? Fandom would NEVER project their personal standards...
Old June 7 2012, 08:55 PM   #21
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I've seen several episodes here and there over the years, but I only decided to start watching the show regularly this past weekend. I gave up waiting for the DVD and fortunately a local station started from the beginning this past Saturday, so I jumped onboard. Now we get this announcement. I hope the show is intact with nothing left out.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 08:57 PM   #22
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Bingo!
Old June 7 2012, 09:02 PM   #23
Agent Richard07
Admiral

The 60s Batman is pretty iconic. Who'd want to shove it under the rug?
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 09:06 PM   #24
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

A lot of fanboys are embarrassed about the show because it's not a serious take on Batman. Somehow comedy offends them.
Old June 7 2012, 09:32 PM   #25
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Oh gods no...

*Shakes head in dismay*

I know a lot of people might enjoy that old show for nostalgia reasons and what not, but it's such a stain of camp and nonsense to the bat franchise that it's just going to be very painful to see it proliferated again after all these years. Especially now that the Bat is so well regarded thanks to the Nolan films.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 09:35 PM   #26
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Frontier wrote: View Post
Oh gods no...

*Shakes head in dismay*

I know a lot of people might enjoy that old show for nostalgia reasons and what not, but it's such a stain of camp and nonsense to the bat franchise that it's just going to be very painful to see it proliferated again after all these years. Especially now that the Bat is so well regarded thanks to the Nolan films.

So, do you also want to remove the 60s Batman Comics, which were even more campy and where the Series got it's tone from?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 09:39 PM   #27
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Oh gods no...

*Shakes head in dismay*

That's ridiculous. I've never understood the subsection of Bat fandom that thinks the only version of Batman that should ever be represented is The Dark Knight!

It's not like the character was only presented as dark and gritty in his 73 year history.

Heck, even the Dark Knight Detective version written by Bill Finger wasn't all that dark. He was cracking one liners that would have worked in a Bugs Bunny short.

Some people like to pretend The Caped Crusader wasn't the Batman of choice for like twenty years. The Adam West show didn't spring up out of nowhere! It was inspired by the Batman of the 50s and 60s. Sure as hell, none of those fans want to admit that without the Adam West series Detective Comics and Batman would have been cancelled due to sagging sales.

Adam "Batman" West saved the Batman comics series!

Some fans take the character waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 09:55 PM   #28
Gojira
Commodore

I was just looking for info on the release of the Batman TV series on DVD just yesterday. I grew up watching reruns of this in the 70s and I couldn't get enough! I hope they release this on DVD very very soon.

I was just telling my wife today that there are bootleg versions of this floating around on various auction sites like Ebay and IOffer and since I thought we will never see a legitimate release I was going to get one. But now I will wait for the real thing.

This is great news!!!
Old June 7 2012, 10:08 PM   #29
Gojira
Commodore

Oh gods no...

*Shakes head in dismay*

As has been said above Batman has not always been this brooding dark crusader. The Adam West series are a heck of a lot of fun. There is no shame in liking it.
Old June 7 2012, 10:23 PM   #30
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Oh gods no...

*Shakes head in dismay*

Seriously, PAINFUL? Really?

And it's not a stain of camp, it's WONDERFUL camp. For adults. For kids, it's a great introduction to Batman, the camp goes RIGHT over their heads. At least it did for me when I was a kid.

There's plenty of room for ALL versions of Batman, one doesn't delete or replace the others.